Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 Jeep GC with ABS

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 L V-8
Default 1997 Jeep GC with ABS

Hi,

I know this must have been asked a thousand times but I can't find a good answer using the search function.

My amber ABS light came on and stays on. I checked the brake fluid and it was low. I filled it to the line, drove the vehicle and the light still stays on.

I have researched and found mention of a DRB diagnostics tool that only the Dealer has.

Do I need to take the vehicle to the Dealer or is there a way that I can further diagnose the issue?

Many thanks, John.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2 V8, Dual cold air, dual batts, E-fan, Sanden OBA

If its a 97 it should be obd2, so an abs scanner should work or take it to your local shop they should scan it for cheap... I believe autozone scans abs for free to. Its probably somethin stupid like one of your abs sensors
Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Any shop with a scan tool can plug in and read the ABS codes. The connector is an 8 wire plug that is tucked under the carpet under the ashtray toward the driver side, the Chrysler #2 scan tool plug is needed.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 PM

Thank you for the help. Being a 97, it does have the OBDII connector and I have a nice scan tool for it. The scan tool says no fault codes but I don't know if it is checking the abs or not. Is there a seperate scanner just for abs codes that connects to the same OBDII port?

Can any local shop plug into the OBDII connector and pull abs codes out? Or do I need to go to the dealer and have them pull the codes out? Is there any way to make the ABS light blink out the code?

Is there a different connector just for the abs? What code reader will work on it? Will my OBDII reader do it?

Need to know the real options. Thank you. John.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Ok, I did some research and found that you do use the OBDII connector for the ABS codes, but you must use an actual scan tool not a simple code reader in order to get the codes.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

If your not getting a specific code, I'm willing to bet its a cracked tone ring. Personal experience on that one.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM

Thank you guys,

I called Actron today. I own their Elite Auto Scanner CP9185. Actron told me that my scanner CANNOT pull ABS codes (even though it cost $200!). He told me that "regular" scanners and code readers cannot pull ABS codes (nor Air Bag codes) because those codes come from a different computer in the car and are presented on different pins on the OBD2 connector. Hence, the need to use an "ABS capable" scanner (or an "Air Bag" capable scanner for airbags codes). I did not know this before.

They have a new model, the AutoScanner PLUS model # CP9580, that will pull ABS codes from the OBD2 connector. It lists for $250.00. I am really not interested in buying another scanner for another couple of hundred dollars. So, I started calling around...

My Autozone does not have a "loaner" (or on-site) scanner that will pull ABS codes. But, they are happy to SELL me a CP9580!

However, my local Advance Auto Parts has a loaner CP9580 that they will let me use in their parking lot. So, that is where I am heading now!

Film at eleven..

John.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

Went thru this. AutoZone didn't have the right scanner. Went to Dealer - $1,000+ for ABS control module...unplugged the #5 fuse I think it was = no ABS anyway, so no light on either!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42 PM

Well, now I have a new problem...

Advance indeed had the new code scanner that also does ABS. THe guy there knew nothing about it but let me use it for 20 minutes. After I figured out that ABS is not a part of "Global OBD2" when selecting the vehicle, I had to select the Domestic vehicle by year, make and model. Okay, that went fine.

But, the code scanner returned an "error communicating with the vehicle" when checking the ABS. It connected just fine for the OBD2 checks, but failed on the ABS. Tried it a few more times and got the same results.

So, it seems that i have either:

1) crapped out code scanner
2) dead ABS control module that can't even communicate with the scanner
3) a bad wire/connector

Can anybody provide any guidance on this one? Would a dead ABS control module return that error message? Do ABS modules die?

Many thanks, John.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Check the fuses. If you have a blwn fuse for the ABS the light will come on. There may be more than one fuse for the system.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Found this while searching for the same problem:
Indexmill did the new part solve it?

I have the same EXACT problem. Tried two code scanners, both said they could not communicate with the ABS system. I pulled the harness to check for voltage, of the four largest wires, the two nearest the end both had voltage (the other two large wires did not).

I checked all the fuses. Constant ABS light, and I checked the system in the rain today, it does not work. PCSing to Virginia in a few days and would like to get this hammered out. 99% it's the ABS control module. Going to be in the SF East Bay Fri-Sat before hitting the road if anyone has any insight in the area.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:31 AM

Default abs module repair

My 1997 Grand Cherokee's abs light came on and it lost the abs function of the brakes. The problem is usually the abs module. There is a solder connection inside the module that cracks from the stresses (vibration) the module is subjected to during operation.

Remove he air filter housing to allow easier access to the area. The abs pump/ module assembly is located on the driver side under the hood between the air filter housing and the brake master cylinder.

DO NOT disconnect any brake lines. Unplug the 2 electrical connections from the module. The module is bolted to the bottom of the pump. Remove the 3 rubber custioned bolts that attach the pump assembly to the mounting bracket to allow you to carefully pull the assembly out of the bracket slightly and rest the **** protruding from the front edge of the assembly on top of the bracket.

The module is bolted to the bottom of the pump assembly. Use a mirror placed below the area to see the 4 bolts. These have male torx (star) heads. I didn't have any female torx sockets, so I used a 4mm hex socket. This will work, but you have to be careful to not round off the little heads.

The module is not designed to be opened so the sealed edge will have to be cut all the way around with either a hacksaw or a dremel tool. Cut only deep enough to split the case apart. Clean away from the edges and interior any debris created from the cutting.

The problem solder connection is usually one of the two off by themselves. Carefully peel back just enough of the silicone film to work. There is a small + symbol nearby and it's probably one toward the outside. I had to use a magnifying glass to see the cracked connection. Scrape away any old loose solder material and re-solder the connection.

Apply a film of rtv silicone to the edges of the module to keep out moisture and bolt back to the underside of the pump assembly.

There! You've got your abs function back, the abs light will be off, AND you didn't have to pay a dealership close to $1000.00 for them to replace your abs module.