Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 Grand 4.0 Idle problem

Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 Grand 4.0 Idle problem

Hello guys,

As I am a newb I need to ask this question. During the winter my Cherokee has problems starting/idling. My first problem is that it will not start right away, finally after getting out my stanley port jumper I can get it started however I pump the gas once fully and hold it half way. While doing this you can see black smoke/sut exit the exhaust pipe. The real problem is that when I release the gas pedal the Jeep will die and loose all power. I have managed to get it running as when I go out the next day it will start right up. I had my buddy come over who is a novice and we started the jeep now this time the vehicle would idle at about 2000 rpm. we then rev the engine a lil and it lowers to about 1500 rpm. we put the vehicle in drive and park and so forth and while its in gear the rpm will drop to about 1000. we then take off the air filter housing from the throttle body and persist to look inside with the vehicle running as it is clear in the hole we see a cut in the side so we cover it with our finger and the vehicle dies understandably however on the back side towards the passanger compartment there is some sensor with a white 4 prong plug with the vehicle running we unplug this and plug it back in and the vehicle idles at 500 approx rpm. after fixing while trying to pull out it runs fine until you accelerate a little and then release the gas it dies again.

any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated and i will maybe try to make a youtube video/ pictures of the cord location of disconnection that made it idle right again.

thanks again
Old 01-16-2011, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Replace the Idle Air Control motor, fixed. It's the round thing on the side of the throttle body with a black plug on the end.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Replace the Idle Air Control motor, fixed. It's the round thing on the side of the throttle body with a black plug on the end.
I will have a video up later of my jeep thanks for the suggestion when my video is processed on youtube I will put link up please let me know if that is the same part.

Last edited by obviousnewb; 01-17-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 AM

Here is the YouTube video link-
notice the check engine light was not on until we unplugged and plugged in the wire. However all the problems happened b4 we messed with the wire and the light came on!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

This guy needs to use better sentence structure for me to understand him!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
This guy needs to use better sentence structure for me to understand him!
Sure I will try to work on that. I didn't know we were in a college class and need to watch for dangling modifiers. But either way I stated my problems and the order it happened in and am typing oops I mean " I am typing this from my Android phone using the cf Android app. Really if all ur gonna say is something about sentence structure just move along no need to boost ur post count up!
Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sorry dude! Didn't know you were texting. That explains a lot. I believe Bustedback had your answer. Try changing your idle air control motor and then we'll go from there.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Just called autozone and they don't have the motor in stock. The gentleman didn't seem to care about the part I needed, he would rather ask me if I would like to put the valve on hold. Would this essentially be the same part or a part that could also possibly be giving me my headaches?