Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1996 Grand Cherokee 4.0 No Fire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 Grand Cherokee 4.0 No Fire Issue

First the symptoms prior to current issue.
After shutting off the engine at times it would fail to start. after cranking several times it would start. This would happen about once a week and went on for a couple of months. The last week it was running it died while running twice and restarted after cranking a few times. Last day of driving it died about 2 blocks from my house then restarted and I drove home. That's the last time it ran.
I have replaced the dist cap and rotor, coil,plugs, plug wires, battery, cps and put in a used computer. Still no fire. Local salvage yard has a used PCM for $100. Should this be my next step? I have had 2 people work on it and I keep dumping in new parts and money for labor and cant afford to just throwing money into parts in hope that's the problem.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:32 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

You need to find someone who will TEST for sensor signals before replacing them. You can spend a lot of money just shotgunning parts at it hoping to fix it. I've seen cases just like this that came down to a bad connector plug or bare wires! DIAGNOSE BEFORE REPLACE!

No spark? Check for cam sensor signals. That's inside the distributor. Power to the ignition and fuel injectors is controlled by the ASD relay. The computer turns that on after it gets a Crankshaft Position Sensor signal. Check the 3 plugs on the PCM for bent or corroded pins, or loose connections.

If you need to replace any sensors, I recommend using only Mopar parts. This is especially true of the CPS. This is a magnetic switch and the strength of the magnet has a lot to do with good clean signals.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-23-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF!

You need to find someone who will TEST for sensor signals before replacing them. You can spend a lot of money just shotgunning parts at it hoping to fix it. I've seen cases just like this that came down to a bad connector plug or bare wires! DIAGNOSE BEFORE REPLACE!

No spark? Check for cam sensor signals. That's inside the distributor. Power to the ignition and fuel injectors is controlled by the ASD relay. The computer turns that on after it gets a Crankshaft Position Sensor signal. Check the 3 plugs on the PCM for bent or corroded pins, or loose connections.
Second guy I had work on it did that. First returned bad coil so replaced the new one that was just put on. next scan showed everything was working fine but still no fire. He said I need a new PCM.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:01 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

AGAIN, did he check for power to it from the ASD relay? Did he check for Cam Sensor signals? Did he check for power to the fuel injectors? Put the original computer back in and see if it makes any difference, or was it returned as a core?

It's really hard to diagnose using a keyboard and not being there. I've got to get ready for work. I'll be back in the AM.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-23-2016 at 09:04 PM.