Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

08 jeep starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 AM
bps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 08 jeep starter problems

Have a 2008 Grand Cherokee that has intermittently begun to not turn over when the key is turned. All I get is a click and then nothing. I don't think its the battery because all the power supplied functions like the wipers,radio,ect. still work fine. Usually it will start again when it wants to, and not because of anything I did. I believe its the solenoid or starter rely based on other threads I have read. My question is whether or not this an easy fix. Can the solenoid be replaced by its self or does the whole starter have to replaced on an 08? Is this something I could do in my driveway or would taking it to a garage be advised?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

clean the battery terminals and make sure the clamps are tight
Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Seasoned Member

As suggested check your battery cables at battery and starter, clean and tight.

It sounds like it may be worn starter solenoid contacts. When they wear you get the intermittent action. An auto electrical shop can replace the contacts if they are worn. The starter solenoid is part of the starter.

You can try jumping it at the starter. Get a heavy gauge wire 10 ga. or so. Some use a screwdriver. On the starter you will see a heavy red cable from the battery going to a large terminal on the starter. Also, you will see a thin wire going to the solenoid terminal. Hold your jump wire on the large terminal and just touch the other end to the small terminal. Your starter should engage and turn the engine over. With the key to on, your engine will start.

Jump it a couple of time and see if it fails to turn over. If so, you have a starter issue. Use care doing this as the engine will turn over. Avoid moving parts.

You can remove the starter and have it tested at an auto shop. Disconnect the battery cables from the battery. Disconnect the cable and wire at the starter. Remove 2 or 3 bolts, can't recall number, pull starter from engine.

If starter tests good, then you may have an electrical issue.

Taking it to a shop can be expensive. Doing it yourself, less expensive and you get to learn a bit about maintenance. This is not a difficult job.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
bps

Thanks for the responses. Took it a local mechanic who could not get it to act up when it was in his garage. It sounds like he did exactly what you suggested and said the starter tested ok. He swapped out the starter relay but could not confirm whether or not that was the real problem. He only charged me 20 bucks so I hope that was it.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:10 PM
bps

Wait...if the solenoid contact is part of the starter.... is it possible to just "swap it out"? Or is the starter "relay" something different from the solenoid. Now I'm confused.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM

sometimes starter "hung up" on fly wheel. You my have bad spot on fly wheel. With stick it is easy. If do not want to start, WITH KEY OFF,put highest gear in and bounce the vehicle. It should turn over the engine and skip the bad spot. With auto, you my need wrench to put on crank and turn over little. Solenoid is on starter and can be replace or clean the contacts, the relay is in power box. The relay should be "air tight", but some times moisture get inside and corrode the contacts. Most of the time, when relay quit, it will not work again. Slight 'bump" my woke up the relay, but that is very rare. Sometimes tapping with hammer the solenoid will engage the starter.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:18 AM

Default 08 jeep starter problems

Did you ever find out what the problem was? My 08 Cherokee did the same thing two days ago. The starter circuit was dead, no starter/solenoid clicks. All the other electrical worked fine. I called AAA for a haul to a Jeep dealer. The hauler could'nt get it to do anything either after spending an hour checking connections, fuses, security resets,you name it. It was flatbedded to the Jeep dealer who was closed at the time. The next morning it started just fine without them even looking at it. They spent the next day checking everything they could think of with no sign of a problem. Everything checked out fine. The vehicle is still covered by the 36,000 mile warranty. I need to find the problem before the warranty is up.

Last edited by Jeepman1718; 10-12-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Member

The park/neutral switch, auto tranny, can fail and when it does you get no start and no solenoid clicking. The next time this happens try moving your shifter thru all the gears and try starting in park and neutral.

If the above does not work do a voltage test at the solenoid terminal. You will need a helper and a voltmeter. Connect meter to the small solenoid terminal on the starter and to a good engine ground. Have the helper turn the key to start. You should read battery voltage each time the key is held to start.

If no voltage you have a problem in the starting circuit. If yes you have voltage you may have a weak battery, bad battery cables, dirty or loose cable connections. This voltage test will point the way towards where to look.

Use care doing the test as the engine may crank over and the engine may start. Keep clear of any moving parts.