Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

04 GC 4WD/2WD Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation 04 GC 4WD/2WD Issues

I recently put two new front tires on and the night after thats when the issue arose so might be the tires. I put my truck in 4WD and was driving on the thruway 55mph for about 20 miles. I switch to 2WD on the street and drove about 2 miles it sounded like it was stuck in 4WD. I put the truck in Reverse and turned my tires all the way to the left moved about 2 feet and then it wouldnt move. Put it in drive moved forward Reverse again and got stock again put it in drive reverse again and it finally moved. A week later had to use 4WD put it in 4WD went forward and possibly felt rear wheels hop it couldnt have been some small snow banks. Switched to 2wd drove a mile went to 4WD and drove fine. Went to switch it back to 2WD and it sounded like it was stuck in 4WD noise was coming from the front louder then usual and when I took my foot off the gas it seemed to decel faster then normal. Yesturday I had to use my 4WD got to clear road switched to 2WD sounded like it was stuck again circled the block it would turn but felt like the wheels were binding on the turns. Went on the thruway front end was louder then normal. Got home and put it in Reverse to go in my drive turned the wheel to the left went back about 3 feet the jeep stopped for some reason so I gave it some gas heard a pop sound like a bearing was grinding backed it in. Jacked it up on all 4 in 2WD spun front tires nothing was there. Spun right tire left didnt move. Spun left tire right didnt move. spun left rear right moved opposite way. Got under the jeep spun the front drive shaft by hand spun fine no resistance that was hard and no noise. Checked axle boots they were on their fine. linkage has rust but not loose. Tie rods are fine and checked for tire rub maybe it might have been possible because the incline the rear was at when the front was down. It doesnt explain the louder noise in front when coming out of 4WD to 2WD though. I dont know what it could be. If you havent figured it out I have select trac, the only thing I can think of is maybe the front diff is low since I dont know what it was last serviced so Im getting that changed within the next 200 miles.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I think your problem is in the front diff. You may have a broken planetary pinion shaft. Were you running full time or part time 4WD at 55? I'm in Syracuse, so I know what the Thruway is like with snow. It's entirely possible with different tires (new and used) that you overstressed the driveline in part time at speed. Only guessing, mind you. Pull the front diff cover and inspect the internals.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 PM

no it deff wasnt due to part time operation I never use pt just put it in pt for a few car lenghts then ft and always switch it at 5mph and i dont go over 20mph for atleast 8 car lenghts just to make sure it kicks in. Im pretty sure its because it doesnt want to kick out of 4wd right away due to rust or seized because it is cold out. the new tires are the same size as stock ones were so if the .5 inch of new tread stressed out the trans or diff the jeeps a pos. I went out today and drove and it runs fine no drag or loud noise so im guessing maybe one of the lines is clogged creating a vacuum issue for the release or if i have auto locking hubs maybe they stick time to time and i may need new ones.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Takes 5 minutes to pop that cover off and have a look.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM

turbo xj i have idea what to look for so im going to just take it to the stealership and have them change the diff and inspect it.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm not familiar with the 04 system. my 00 is all mechanical without hubs that unlock.