Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Jeep Builds
Ye good old fatty project ('94 xj 2.1 TD) >

Ye good old fatty project ('94 xj 2.1 TD)

Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Ye good old fatty project ('94 xj 2.1 TD)

Old 07-20-2018, 08:10 AM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.1TD
Default Ye good old fatty project ('94 xj 2.1 TD)

As I promissed, I open my rebuild and restoration thread

She came to me one year ago, with 190.000km (118060 miles), in a not so bad shame, mostly rust free.

The worst parts were the battery tray and the clear coat, then a few bad tinkerer things, like bad cables, cheap screws, cheap gas tubes... and a huge amount of dirt.

After a year, she had only a few changes, new tires, new trunk door links, new power steering tubes, battery, light bulbs... basic things for an old car.

Then... I crashed with a truck and a few things more were replaced and repair, and this is she right now (yep, covered with dirt and bird poop)

And still with some damage from the crash

And many scratches

And, as I said, ruined clear coat and paint work

This will be a long run restoration, basically, I want to mod the less possible, leaving most of it stock, and some things to make it more confortable for camping and light use.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Having some spare time I decided to disassemble the door panels, refinish and refurbish the interior, but it seems someone smoked (and never cleaned) in the car, and the grey strings now looks like... well, crap, also, the smell is pretty bad too...

Also, the material under the cloth, something like MDF or cardboard, have mildew and is falling apart, so I'm looking to replace it, probably with yatch grade plywood or plastic panels, and to insulate it, and reglue the faux leather and so.

If I've found something interesting is this

January 14th, 1994, probably when the door panel was finished, so gives me some clues about when the car was assembled.

The sunvisor's cloth is pretty ruined too, I'm looking forward to change it and the roof cloth too (maybe... plaid?)

The back part of the car had some plastic damaged, and the trunk shock absorbers always jump out, the ball joints were busted, so I've changed those for something more resilent...

Now, the trunk door won't fall on top of my head again!

Also, I repaired with glass fiber and putty the plastic under those, the shock absorbers broke those jumping out...

Really ugly work, but after some work with texturized paint, they look pretty good (also pretty... blackish)

This finished the interior part for now...

Outside, the hood's clear coat was in a really bad shape, the car looked so much older and ugly with those flaked spots, so I sanded, applied primer, new black paint and new clear coat and this was the result before polishing

Also, I applied scratch resistant paint to the door's low part (the squared "bump")

And refinished the door's handles, now they're deep black again instead of old plastic grey.

And that's all for now, I'm waiting to arrive some motor parts (hoses, filters, new electrics fans wich this car didn't have from stock) and new tires, and looking some parts in scrapyards.
For a few bucks it looks a bit younger.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:14 PM

As I said months ago... this is going to take some time

Tinkering under the car I saw a small rust spot, and now....

I'm on my quest of cleaning everything, sanding, priming and painting while I'm waiting for a new alternator

Also, I'm changing the control panel lights, the old ones were way too dim and I couldn't even see the speedometer, by the way... wich kind of buld are the tiny ones?

Under the hood, the fiber firewall were rotten, so I threw it to a trash can, and discovered a few rust spots...

I'm in love with the GM design in this car, it's mostly like a LEGO, if you can remember the place of every screw, everything is on hand and you can deal with it without much work, also, it seems every electronics part is made in Japan, the good old days when China only made rice things

So, until the new battery and alternator arrive, here we're still on xmass holidays, I have some time to deep clean the car.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 AM

Slow, but it goes!
This has been a soft Winter, so I've had time to deal with the old problems (installing new alternator, battery, battery wires, battery conectors and so...) and now runs like a charm.
Also, a friend of mine camperized a van, and had a few left overs of insulating mat... had enough for the back doors, and this thing is amazing, now I can talk in the car without screaming

And the stereo sounds better after isolating it and separating the speakers from the door with isolating washers

After cleaning the control panel I saw it was something between yellow and grey, a good hand of high reflective white paint, polishing the plastic screen and now I can see what is going on

We had a few snowy days here (the only freaking part of Spain considered high altitude mountain), and the roads were clossed... except for 4x4

And last, but not least...

I've recibed the license to change the car color, and get rid of the old paint and rust. (yes, in my country you have to ask for perssion, for free at least)

So... who likes a red XJ?
Old 04-09-2019, 06:12 AM

Well... it's time to say Goodbye to this car, after a crash, the insurance says is too expensive to repair the car with new parts, even being perfectly driveable, it is going to remain as it is right now wihile I'm looking for another car, and to start a new project.
Also, I will upload the scraping of the car (radio, speakers, lights...) the rest is going to give some new life to a friend's cherokee
Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 AM

Model: Cherokee

So... who likes a red XJ?[/QUOTE]

I do!! Love red color very pop out in snow!

That my phone screen

and sorry for ur loss, cant u just keep it and fix it urself? Is that serious damaged like frame bend or any?

Last edited by Jeepcherokee1989; 04-10-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepcherokee1989 View Post
So... who likes a red XJ?
I do!! Love red color very pop out in snow!

That my phone screen

and sorry for ur loss, cant u just keep it and fix it urself? Is that serious damaged like frame bend or any?[/QUOTE]

Thank you
Yes, I can keep all the parts, in fact, is parked under my window right now and I'm driving it everyday, but it shakes over 40km/h and tends to go right.
I don't know if the frame is bent or not yet, I'm waiting the share of damages, after that I'll make the decission, if it's ok... maybe I'll buy another one anyway, fix this one by myself and lend it to my gf and my father, they only thing is there's not many parts for it here. To be fair, except for the diesel price here, it's been a cheap car to maintain compared to their cars, even the insurance and taxes are cheap due to be over 25 y.o.