Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Talking Winter Project

I've got a 92, engine runs well though something is leaking a bit of oil (that's how you can tell it has oil right?)

Anyways, I'm wondering what I should be looking at as a first project. It runs and drives, though it has a death wobble, GM steering column wobble, various features don't work and the interior is worse for wear (mostly really dirty and disgusting).

I've got an over-sized 2 car garage which I plan to move it into for winter work, but the question is what should I tackle as a first project on this thing?

Eventually I'd like to build it into a reasonable trail machine which handles okay on the high ways. I live here in Colorado and we plenty of nice 4x4 trails.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Project-img_20170614_150052.jpg   Winter Project-img_20170614_150104.jpg  
Old 10-31-2017, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I don't know if you will come back and read this but first thing is first. Get all your basic mechanical items out of the way first!! That should always come way before any other modifications. It is hard to do though because we come here read all these stories and builds and then want to dive into the mods first. Sounds like you may have your hands full with the death wobble which could be a few things and then the oil leaking. Hope your joking about that's how you know it has oil!! LOL Any ways I would start off by fixing those items, check brakes, change oil, spark plugs, cap, rotor, fresh gas, etc. Then any other oil leaks it could have and drive it a little to see what else could be wrong with it. If it pans out then start thinking of what you want to mod it to be able to do. Rock crawler, mudding, trails, overland, etc?? Options are endless but the sky is the limit on cash too Good Luck!