Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats better to build up.. cherokee vs. wrangler

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default whats better to build up.. cherokee vs. wrangler

I love my xj but alot of people around me drive lifted wranglers which is better annd why? What can one and other do that the other can't? What would be a better build idea?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6

Well wranglers have a shorter wheelbase so they can fit into slighty tighter places (like tank traps), but the longer wheelbase of xjs makes the ride smoother and can help on certain obsticles. cherokees have a lot more room for friends, subwoofers, beer, etc and you can sleep in them! Xj's dont have a seperate frame which means no body lifting but IMO you'll be better off with it being all suspention lift anyways. They share a lot of the same parts so one really isnt going to outperform the other. I say be different from the others and build an xj! Every one knows wranglers are for girls.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:42 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6

by the way i think this belongs more in the cherokee chat section.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I will have to say that I would go with the Cherokee... for the above listed reasons... Also because you can get a Cherokee for way cheaper than a Wrangler anyways.. because no one really wants to build them... they all want the Wranglers... but that is fine by me... I'll take my better handling, longer wheelbase, and plenty of storage space any day!!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 IL6

Originally Posted by xebraj
Well wranglers have a shorter wheelbase so they can fit into slighty tighter places (like tank traps), but the longer wheelbase of xjs makes the ride smoother and can help on certain obsticles. cherokees have a lot more room for friends, subwoofers, beer, etc and you can sleep in them! Xj's dont have a seperate frame which means no body lifting but IMO you'll be better off with it being all suspention lift anyways. They share a lot of the same parts so one really isnt going to outperform the other. I say be different from the others and build an xj! Every one knows wranglers are for girls.
THATS RIGHT ! WHAT HE SAID
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

Depends on what you want to do. under a 35in tire stockish alxes and such XJs are a great rig. near perfect wheel base and a good time on the trails. however if you start going out and doing stupid trails and want to run bigger axles and 37s wranglers make a better starting platform. Also body lifts are not all bad i wish i could do a 1in BL with a tummy tuck on my XJ (motor mount and t-case lift to match body lift)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

and not to mention everyone has lifted wranglers. AND....cherokees come with chryco 8.25 rear axles and not tiny dana 35s.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Year: 98

Me and my son are in the process of building an XJ, but, with that said the only real big difference I see is that the XJ with it's unibody, if you roll it, it's toast, with the wrangler it's just body damage. What made our decision to do the XJ is cost, XJ's are an inexpensive way to get into offroading
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 87

Some Cherokee's did come with the d35.
However, XJ's are a good platform to start with. Eventually the un-body will get damaged with hardcore trails. The longer wheelbase does come in handy on hill climbs.
Wrangler's have a plethora of parts available to them. Full frames definitely make for a more solid platform. If you get too much body damage, there's always another tub to be found somewhere to swap it out with.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 87

Some Cherokee's did come with the d35.
However, XJ's are a good platform to start with. Eventually the un-body will get damaged with hardcore trails. The longer wheelbase does come in handy on hill climbs.
Wrangler's have a plethora of parts available to them. Full frames definitely make for a more solid platform. If you get too much body damage, there's always another tub to be found somewhere to swap it out with.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 AM

Year: 92 abd 98 XJ

For the most part were all a little partial to XJ's, but anyone can do the math. Look at the cost of the rig/parts/reliability/capability and of course fun. It all equals XJ. Plus Wronglers are played out! And with the current craze of less is more (see March JP mag). They are running smaller and smaller tires with less lift to get CG under control. Something we dont really worry about.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

your asking on a CHEROKEE forum whats better to build lol, of course most are going to say cherokees.

with that being said from what i've seen wranglers cost alot more to buy and cost alot more to build.

i like the XJ because its more practical, and it doesnt drive like complete **** on the road
Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 IL6

XJ ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Motor size, I love blowing by the wronglers after a group run
Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

for one xjs are practical, me and my buddy were making fun of a wrangler guy the other day, he was in his jeep wearing a hat, gloves, and a big winter coat haha, while we we're having to take our coats off cause it got so hot in my jeep haha, also the cherokees just have more room, like i said, very practical, and there are too many lifted wranglers, its not even cool anymore haha

Quick Reply: whats better to build up.. cherokee vs. wrangler