Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Tools needed to install lift?

Old 11-25-2017, 03:48 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default Tools needed to install lift?

Can someone list out the tools and other items needed to install a lift on a Cherokee?
Old 11-25-2017, 05:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

What kind of lift? As in what parts are you changing out?
Old 11-25-2017, 05:12 PM

Rough Country 4.5 inch
Old 11-25-2017, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Jack, Jackstands, large breaker bar, big prybar, 1/2" ratchet, a few different sockets and wrenches, a coil spring compressor helps but isn't needed, a torch will help get the leaf spring bolts loose, and a good 1/2" impact will speed things up allot.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

budget route would be a harbor freight 1/2" ratchet and breaker bar with metric sockets. Most all of them should be metric. You can use chrome or impact 6 or 12 point sockets. Deep impact sockets are what I recommend. Some bolts will need to be secured from both sides at the same time. This means either a set of wrenches or another set of sockets.

Also Jack stands or blocks of wood, and a jack.

I recommend a torch, pb blaster, and a large hammer.

If you have a sears close by I have heard that they have some crazy deals going on right now.

Oh yeah and there's this:

Last edited by craigjacob1; 11-25-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:50 AM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Engine: 6 CYL HO

I agree with the above. We did use two 3 ton jacks. It helped to put one jack under the Jeep and have another to put under the axle.
I posted a couple of pics when we installed the lift on mine. All we did for the coils was jack up one side enough to drop the other side. Then we slid in the springs. It was pretty simple. Pretty much everything on the front you can get to with a impact and wrenches.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/cheap-1994-xj-239694/

Last edited by Biggsly; 11-26-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:05 AM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee

Rough Country is not really all that good of a lift but it is a budget one so if you plan to go that route just know that. I mean they are not crap but I would not say they are that great either. I think you will end up replacing many of those parts later down the road much faster than if you spend a little extra and getting a quality lift. However; if your pockets are not too deep then go for the Rough Country and it will allow you to get a feel for it at a cheaper price.