Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tail of a Mutt

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default The Tail of a Mutt

Im starting my build thread after a year of owning my jeep only because i didnt want to be one of those guys who started one the minute i got the jeep and not have any mods or updates...

I bought my jeep in june of 2010 and i named her Daisy. I paid 800 for it because the kid who owned it before me hit a deer with it and cracked the header panel and destroyed the ac condenser, radiator and it had a blown rear break line.

The specs of my jeep when i got it are 4.0, aw4, np231, hpd30, 8.25.

I was so excited to own a jeep when i first got it i forgot to take pictures till i started tearing the front end off to start fixing it.

My truck before the jeep was a 1988 chevy k1500 with a 2inch lift 33s skid plates and a BUILT 355.

Heres a picture of my truck right after the mud pit

my chevy with my jeep after all the work and paint

Now before i get into the build to far im going to explain why im calling my thread the build of the mutt...getting new parts for my jeep is a guessing game everytime i go to autozone... the coolent temp sensor needed to be replaced so i went and got one for a 97 WRONG i need one for a 98, and there are a bunch more parts that were the same way new parts for my jeep range from 96 to 98 in years i dont understand why not sure if everyone else is the same way

Now for the good pictures...
With the nose off me and mcguyver_xj cut out the ac condencer and getting a new radiator

After mcguyver_xj and i put her back together and gave her a bath

Next to mcguyver_xj's old jeep

My first mod a cobra cb

Made a cb antenna mount out of a fire extinguisher wall mount and a piece of 1/8 plate welded together

Installed and painted

Took it wheeling

Then did my second mod trimming the fenders

The jeeps first sticker

Then i got a roof rack from a buddy for $40

I drove it like this doing some light wheeling here and there then i wanted to test out how well it could really do stock so me and a few buddys went to this trail we call top the world well i was the underdog... there was a cherokee with a 4.5in and stockies, a cherokee with a 3in and 31s that was having t case problems and a t100 with 5in and 34s lockd front and rear with 4.56s that didnt make it to the top of the rock climb only me and my buddy with a zj thats locked front and rear with 4.10s 35s and a 8.5in long arm made it and heres the pic to prove it...

Then i finally sold my chevy and had enough money to lift her... i bought the rustys 4.5in lift with full leafs adj flex end lowers and all the options had it on 2 days later work for 12 hours putting it on the only problems i had were the rear shock bolts broke off in the weld nuts and the front driverside leaf bolt weld nut broke loose so i had to cut a access hole in the subframe to get a wrench on it sorry no pics of the install but i got the final product...

Last edited by stealthcherokee; 09-29-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Then i found a Warn front diff guard on c-list for $20 and i wirewheeled it and repainted it my favorite color

I ran it with the stockies till my birthday my buddy gave me some 32x11.5 firestone A/Ts for free with about 40%

Then i used some old ramps to flex a little

Drove it like that thru the winter but for december i put christmas lights in it

Also durning the winter i hit a pothole and my passenger side lca bracket broke off the axle so i upgraded them both to the rustys offroad hd brackets

My buddy who owns this shop helping me out cutting the old brackets off in his power stance haha

The jeep on the lift

After winter was over went to a new place to wheel with a buddy from work to test the new to me tires he drives a mitsubishi montero with 6in lift (3in suspension 3in body) and 35s

it was very muddy

Last edited by stealthcherokee; 09-29-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I figured out i need real tires so i started saving up and in may 2011 i got my new tires 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s on 15x10 with 4in backspacing procomps

I took her out to test the new new tires on the same trail she went thru stock to check the difference and boy what a difference

Flexed it for real for the first time with the new tires but ran out of room so never got to full flex also got my new to me front bumper on its a orfab winch bumper i got of mcguyver_xj...

Last edited by stealthcherokee; 09-29-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Seasoned Member

In june i went to visit my family in the best state ever Alabama... while i was down there i realized i was only about a hour away from Rustys Offroad which is the only place i buy suspension parts from and a few other little things so i called up zack (when i call to order parts hes the guy i always talk to) and setup a day to come see Rustys... well when i got there i was happier then a kid in a candy store not only because i got to buy parts and not pay shipping but because i got to sit in this beauty...

me sitting in it
Old 09-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

When i got home i ordered my bored out throttle body from the xjfiles and installed it i could notice a difference in the way the jeep ran right away...
pic of the new one next to the old one im sure you can tell which is which haha
Old 09-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Since the throttlebody i put a steering box brace on, new highflow cat, 2.5in dynomax catback exhaust, roof lights, finally got shocks in the rear after a year with no shocks back there
A few weekends ago mcguyver_xj, tjkiller98, and i went wheeling on a local trail and here are a few pictures from the trip...

I was finally able to go to my limit of flex but the sad thing is the suspension had more to go...

This saturday that just went by she got a new 3core radiator,tranny cooler, new outer axles seals that i like because there rebuildable, and new ujoints in the axle shafts
heres she is with the front axle apart in my buddys garage...

And lastly for tonight i put caution strobes in her grill because last winter i got introuble with the cops for pullin someone out of a snow bank with no caution lights he threatened to give me a ticket no pics yet sorry
Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

AWESOME THREAD !!! GREAT BUILD
Old 09-30-2011, 06:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

Subscribed. Very good looking jeep
Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Year: 1995

nice build thread...nice jeep...
Old 09-30-2011, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Can I have your tires please?

Looks good.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Can I have your tires please?

Looks good.
umm No...if anyone got them it'd be me...lol
Old 09-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks guys its been a pain to get where she is now but more to come...

And as far as my tires go im going to keep them till there bald
Old 09-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Year: 1999

Pics stock with 31s next to 4.5 with 33s
Attached Thumbnails The Tail of a Mutt-forumrunner_20110930_124055.jpg   The Tail of a Mutt-forumrunner_20110930_124115.jpg  
Old 10-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Member

forgot to put that i also spray bombed the jeep flat black

today i went and picked up a soft 8 in mint condition for my spare tire now just need to get a good spare because mine has a chewed up sidewall looking for a m/t so anyone in the area with one that would be great pm me and well see about working out some kind of deal
Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Got a job at a local offroad jeep shop...more mods soon to come

Quick Reply: The Tail of a Mutt