Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straydawgs budget build

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Straydawgs budget build

Well I'm gonna call it a budget build. So a couple of weeks ago I purchased this 91 Laredo Cherokee.

It has been sitting for 5-6 years. Was supposedly parked due to something in the steering bent, tie rod/ drag link not sure. Had no belt or battery. Dropped in a battery and it fired right up. So hauled it home.

Purchased a belt and installed Friday. Upon starting again belt was smoking. Alternator was locked up. Belt broke before I could get it shut off. Lesson learned.
So the budget part, researching alternator options as I don't currently have the extra cash for one. Any suggestions, let me know.
So I plan to use the xj for a daily that I can take wheeling. So I went ahead and started pulling the carpet and head liner.

And yes the padding was soaked and there is a little rust. Not as bad as I thought it would be honestly. I also pulled the fabric of the headliner, but didn't get the backing out yet. So I did feel good about the progress made and am anxious to continue.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:43 PM

This weekend my 11 yr old was super excited about working on the Cherokee too.

Let him tighten up all the bolts after installing new water pump, and alternator. He also swapped on some wheels and tires my nephew donated to us, thanks!!

So that brings me to a question. Is anyone running an extra electric fan in place of the clutch fan. I'm planning on giving it a try. I always just ran electric fans on all my other off road daily drivers. Just wondering. Well this week we hope to get a chance to get back in the interior and get it prepped for bed liner.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 PM

So our donated tires were very dry rotted, very. One blew out in first test around the back yard. So we have been searching CL and FB yard sale pages when today I found these 30/9.50-15 cat's and rims for 150. I think I'm putting 31/10.50 my's on the holey rims, like the offset better.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Cool man! Doesn't look too bad after sitting 5-6 years. How's the front floor pans? Good time spent with your son as well. I'm sure he'll be hooked in no time.

Any plans for a lift?
Old 08-21-2015, 12:43 PM

I am hoping to get the front seats out and front carpet tonight. So pics later this weekend. Lift, yes for sure. A Rusty's 3" with full leaf packs to start. The wheels and tires I just got used are pretty much just gonna be testing and road driving. Going to have a tranny service done next week just to make sure it's mechanically ready. Then ordering the lift.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ho 99 intake ps pump 1" tb spacer 62mm bored tb eletric fans and more

Originally Posted by Straydawg
This weekend my 11 yr old was super excited about working on the Cherokee too.

Let him tighten up all the bolts after installing new water pump, and alternator. He also swapped on some wheels and tires my nephew donated to us, thanks!!

So that brings me to a question. Is anyone running an extra electric fan in place of the clutch fan. I'm planning on giving it a try. I always just ran electric fans on all my other off road daily drivers. Just wondering. Well this week we hope to get a chance to get back in the interior and get it prepped for bed liner.
Good start Ive ran a second fan on mine and have it on a relay. it gets turned on when wheelin. but here in oregon it doesnt get hot most the time so one does the trick alought though my jeep is a five speed and Im running a dual core radiator
Old 08-22-2015, 06:02 PM

Even tho the padding under the carpet was soaked.. the floor boards surprisingly just minor surface rust. Hoping to bed line tomm. Very happy!!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:16 PM

Front floor boards sanded, bed lined with rustoleam bed liner. Looks great!! Having my son do so much and help so much price less!!

Old 09-24-2015, 07:57 AM

So we got most everything lined out and went out to trail ride some last weekend.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:00 AM

Did some creek trails as well. In stock form. Everything worked great and I am really loving the XJ!!
Old 09-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Subscribed