Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What colour should I paint my XJ daily driver?
Sunfire Yellow (do an image search, it's cooler than you think)
34.78%
Pumpkin Orange
26.09%
Midnight Blue Metal flake with Pearlescent Top coat (think BMW, or race cars)
26.09%
Military Style Olive Green
30.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Stanley (AKA Stan the Man, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Stanley (AKA Stan the Man, etc.)

It's not much right now, I have just barely gotten it driveable. The first mod I did was to add TJ Flares to it because the previous owner had already chopped them (did a pretty crap job too, now I have to re-weld the unibody back on because he cut too high in the back and didn't just fold them over like you're supposed to!). Then I replaced the brake lines and pads, and the power booster went out while bleeding the brakes, had to have them power flushed after replacing the power booster with a late model XJ booster (about 20% larger, better stopping power, and hey, for $5 you can't argue with what kind of booster/master cylinder you get right?).

Next came all the lights and now I have this weird thing that my dome/courtesy lights are always on no matter what, but if I unplug the fuse for it, my horn stops working...grrrrr those electrical gremlins!

Well, I am still healing the 6 inch gash in my back from when the liftgate shock popped off it's mount and the corner of the lift caught me as I turned away. Though I think it's fun I don't need a key to turn my Jeep on.

I have .75" AAL's for the rear so far, but will add them in to a budget 2" lift this summer...that way the back is just a little higher than the front as the front ones tend to run high.

Now my next project is to repaint. I know, I know, why bother when it's gonna get all scratched up wheelin anyway right? Well, I have to drive it around town 98% of the time, so it should look decent IMO. I am debating between a Midnight Blue metallic flake on black base, or a military green (olive). Let me know which one you guys think will look better both on and off the trail.
I want to paint before I add the roof rack, bumpers and sliders (which I plan on Rhinolining (homebrew style, once I find a supplier of pulverized rubber to mix into the standard roll on, just like the commercial stuff) so I don't have to remove them again.

I am having a friend of mine help me fab up the sliders, skid plates, bumpers, etc. I am wondering though, plate or tube bumpers? Anyone run into a tree or another car with either, let me know how they perform please!

This is such a great resource, keep all the great posts coming! I saved over $1000 at a mechanic by perusing all the builds and write-ups here fixing up my XJ, so thanks a bunch in advance!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

You know we want to see some pics.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Default Yes thank you, here's the photos...

This is definitely a BEFORE photo...then I will update periodically with what I am doing to it, and please feel free to offer suggestions and please don't forget to vote for what colour I should paint.
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I voted for the yellow.
Dan
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

I think you should rattle can desert tan it...Its gaining popularity by leeps and bounds..Its easy to touch up too
Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Engine: 4.0

yellow fa sho!lol
Old 05-23-2010, 09:34 PM

Finally repainted. Decided to buck the poll and go with rattle can flat olive green. I'm wondering if the olive I chose isn't too bright a green, but it gets pretty green in the mountains here in Utah in the summer, so hopefully it'll blend right in. So far though I think it's a great improvement on the blue because now all the dents and dings look like they're supposed to be there! It's been raining the last few days so haven't been able to get any good photos, but it should be clear tomorrow so I'll post a couple then.

I used an outdoor metal paint, in satin finish. I got this one over the Rustoleum because it was self priming (saving me a LOT of hassle for a paint job that's supposed to look beat up) and the spray nozzle was a 4 inch vertical spray as opposed to Rustoleum's standard 3 inch round. Was WAAAAAYYYYY easier to control and I ended up not even having to tape up most of the vehicle, just the windshield, flares and front turn signals. Taping the windows turned out to be a waste of time though (probably should have papered them too...*sigh*, got impatient...) because of the windy day, I now have a lot of back/overspray mist all over all the windows lol. Have to take some nail polish remover to it tomorrow, then will post photos. I didn't bother taking pics because it was really straightforward...no sanding, just wiped it down and sprayed. Time will tell if it's very durable, but TBH I'll be happy with a year or so out of it. Maaco's entry level paint job lasts about that long.

I got all my supplies at Wal-Mart for under $30, so I don't really care if it's professional. I used the spray on underliner for the rocker panels, and will be doing the flares, mirrors and bumpers all in that as well. I had the tape on hand, so if you copy this effort, if you don't have anything on hand, (I even used a phone book to paper up the 2 windows I did, but just got impatient and finished it off w/o papering the rest), it should run you less than $50 for 2 cans of bedliner (1 does all the rocker panels and slider areas, 2nd one for the bumpers, and lower half of the interior of the doors and wells), and 6 cans of the green...1 can will do one entire side from the bottom window edge down, 3-4 coats, working in about 2 square foot sections, or one panel at a time. I laid down a base of it relatively thin, overlapping spray about 1/2 inch, then went back over it so the center of my spray was centered on the overlap line of the 1st coat. Then resprayed the whole thing one more time, feathered out all the edges and blended in the thin spots and corners. If you can't operate a rattle can, find some punk kid who keeps tagging your neighborhood and get him to do it! LOL I ended up using an entire can on the hood, and 1 1/2 cans on the roof alone. I still have a little left for scratch touch ups later in the month after I take Stan here on a few trails near Provo.

Next mod will be updated (and way more visible) gauge cluster, thanks to a previous thread in the fabrication section. The link to printable Jeep Gauges (XJ and ZJ, though he'll make any one you want, and they're tested/calibrated to be correct) is here: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/Whitebground.htm
It's only a $12 investment (if you include paper/lamination) and for driving at night it sure beats the hell out of trying to squint at the dials while doin' 65 in traffic and in the rain! I'm also going to add either a black light tube at the top of the gauge cluster behind the glass so just the needles and numbers glow, or blue neon rope light. If I do the rope light, I'll trim up the whole console 'cause it comes in 1.5 meter lengths!

I will be posting step by step pics of that mod though cuz it's kinda involved (just time consuming to get to it is all).

Let me know what you think of the paint once I get some photos up and your thoughts on the gauge cluster idea!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Talking Pics of the re-paint

Ok, the paint I used is Rustoleum brand Outside Spaces Italian Olive Green metal paint. I know, it's not the dark military olive, but I like it, and it'll stay this color til I replace the liftgate, lift the sucker and get past the winter. These are the after photos. I also paid for my impatience in prep in a bottle of nail polish remover and a bottle of paint stripper/thinner to get it off the windows . Next time I'll be more patient and actually tape/paper everything properly. I added another 2 cans to do all the interior edges of the doors and liftgate, as well as the gas door and roof. Still way less than Maaco, and a hell of a lot more fun!

Also, had to get new tires, both on passenger side blew out...one from a nail and the other the sidewall split out on me, fortunately not while driving but overnight while sitting in the driveway. Went with Goodyear Wrangler 235/75R 15's...but thanks to the flat a$$ springs in the back am getting lots of bottoming out just going through driveways in and out of the shops! So needless to say, a lift is VERY high on my agenda. Already have AAL's, but want an S-10 mainspring for a bastard pack that should net 2.5" lift all up. Just need to save up for the extended rear brake lines. Found out happily that the brake lines in front I replaced earlier this year were actually 3" longer than stock, so won't need to replace those! Yay! More later! (very long-term build thread, this.)
Attached Images     
Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 PM

Ok, last week I finally re tinted everything, but due to the wind and the fact all my windows decided to not roll up straight, all the door tints are crooked, and there's bubbles in all of them...damn wind...shoulda known better lol. Oh well, I have to replace 2-3 of the doors and the liftgate anyway, so when I do, I'll just have a pro re tint it.

Also, replaced the starter day before yesterday! Wow, that was fun! Seriously. Was a lot easier than I thought, even though I ended up digging dirt and oil out of my eyes for the next 2 days (still at it actually). Was able to see that I have a dented fuel line from bottoming out. How difficult is it to replace/repair fuel lines?

Anyway, it's been too busy here to take pics of the Jeep with the new 5% VLT tint. One reason I like it is because it seems darker the brighter the sun is. Will post pics tomorrow!

Also, I am repainting in a month or so...gonna go a darker camo green.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 Renix I6

Cool its one shade off that USFS green...jk
gj on the paint.
I dunno if I like the wrangler flares though.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Banned

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

First thing I thought about:

Old 09-18-2010, 01:03 AM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.8 V6 (terrible)

lookin good thus far man! I will definitely be watchin... keep up the good work bro!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by fallenknight308
Cool its one shade off that USFS green...jk
gj on the paint.
I dunno if I like the wrangler flares though.

I did kind of a bad job on them...they're crooked because the dumba$$ PO trimmed the fenders (front and rear) about 1.5" too high so they were flush with the unibody, even took off some of the welds. Had to have something on there to pass safety here, so those were like $20 for the whole set (killer deal) instead of likke $100 plus for the factory ones.

Going a shade darker here in a month or so.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Good luck with your ride. You should change it to Lord Stanleys Cup!