Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some advice for my build?

Old 05-30-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Some advice for my build?

So I recently got my cherokee from my dad, I was driving a 2012 malibu but I told him id rather have his old cherokee. Im going to lift it 4.5 inches and I just bought some 33s on 17s I'm really excited to start my beast, I just need some advice on what to do once I lift it, do I need to regear for 33s? I have a c8.25 with stock gearing, would i be fine with it? would i need a sye? Im getting a stabilizer for sue but any other advice? its a 2001 4.0 i6 I also only plan on doing very minor hardcore off roading i won't be crawling or anything just doing some trails occasionally but mostly for commuting, my main reason to lift it is to make it look badass so people take me more seriously on the road

Last edited by Kamborghini; 05-30-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Kamborghini
So I recently got my cherokee from my dad, I was driving a 2012 malibu but I told him id rather have his old cherokee. Im going to lift it 4.5 inches and I just bought some 33s on 17s I'm really excited to start my beast, I just need some advice on what to do once I lift it, do I need to regear for 33s? I have a c8.25 with stock gearing, would i be fine with it? would i need a sye? Im getting a stabilizer for sue but any other advice? its a 2001 4.0 i6 I also only plan on doing very minor hardcore off roading i won't be crawling or anything just doing some trails occasionally but mostly for commuting, my main reason to lift it is to make it look badass so people take me more seriously on the road
With comments like this, nobody on this forum will take you seriously. And if you think it will change how people on the road think of you, you are sadly mistaken.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90

I will give you some advice,
but you need to provide some info.

What is the current gear set in your axles?
3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 2.73, etc. Most likely you have 3.55, but knowing for certain is helpful. As for your tire size choice, 33's will be right at the upper limit, of what will give you the proper mix of acceleration, cruising speed, and fuel economy, on the stock gears.

With a 4 1/2 inch lift, an SYE is an excellent decision. This will eliminate driveline vibration and help prevent wear on u-joints.

On a personal note, there is no such thing as minor hardcore wheeling. You're either driving on light trails through an open field (minor wheeling), or hooning it over boulders the size of small cars (hardcore wheeling).
If your intention is "Mall Cred" by lifting it to look more bad ***, then by all means go for it. It's your jeep. Just keep in mind that you're only impressing yourself.

Welcome to the CF. No one here will refuse to offer advice, but no one here will take you seriously if you come off like an immature kid.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

1. With it being an 01 and a chry 8.25, i am guessing its an Auto, therefore 3.55's. With 33's it will be a dog, but driveable. You will lose allot of top end and crawling will be frusterating. A gear swap to 4.56's is going to run you about $1,000 roughly.

2. Possibly. But it is a good idea to do it anyways. I am running 5" and have a very minor vibration without a SYE

3. As mentioned above, there is essentially 2 types. "trail running" and "hardcore" I would say 95% of people who own Xj's are in the "trail running" catagory. Also, its your jeep, so do with it as you please, but simply lifting it to "make people take me more seriously" isnt really a cause. Since you already have the 33's, spend the time to properly trim your fenders, get a quality lift, and set up your suspension correctly. A properly built vehicle will gain you respect and admirance. A poorly built Jallopy with sawzalled fenders and death wobble is a huge turn off.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:01 PM

Thats what I meant about my off roading haha, Im gonna off road but Im not going to be pushing the xj to it's limits, I meant I'm not going to be crawling or doing hardcore **** like I assume you guys do I only provided this information because i thought it'd be relevant to me having to regear or not, also what I meant by being taken more seriously is that people will respect more because the xj will look bigger, I hate little cars always being up in my **** and you already know they aren't up in the **** of trucks bigger than they
Old 05-31-2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scott'sXJ
I will give you some advice,
but you need to provide some info.

What is the current gear set in your axles?
3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 2.73, etc. Most likely you have 3.55, but knowing for certain is helpful. As for your tire size choice, 33's will be right at the upper limit, of what will give you the proper mix of acceleration, cruising speed, and fuel economy, on the stock gears.

With a 4 1/2 inch lift, an SYE is an excellent decision. This will eliminate driveline vibration and help prevent wear on u-joints.

On a personal note, there is no such thing as minor hardcore wheeling. You're either driving on light trails through an open field (minor wheeling), or hooning it over boulders the size of small cars (hardcore wheeling).
If your intention is "Mall Cred" by lifting it to look more bad ***, then by all means go for it. It's your jeep. Just keep in mind that you're only impressing yourself.

Welcome to the CF. No one here will refuse to offer advice, but no one here will take you seriously if you come off like an immature kid.
Yeah they're stock so 3.55
Old 05-31-2016, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Thats what I meant about my off roading haha, Im gonna off road but Im not going to be pushing the xj to it's limits, I meant I'm not going to be crawling or doing hardcore **** like I assume you guys do I only provided this information because i thought it'd be relevant to me having to regear or not, also what I meant by being taken more seriously is that people will respect more because the xj will look bigger, I hate little cars always being up in my **** and you already know they aren't up in the **** of trucks bigger than they

Ok. I'm done here.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jay_sco

Ok. I'm done here.
Thanks , i appreciated your very helpful advice
Old 05-31-2016, 04:38 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Best advice I can give you is to look at some other folks build threads. Prepare yourself for a bit of disappointment, as most of what goes into a lift for an XJ isn't just for off-roading: It's required for it to work properly.

Consider the following chart:

Have fun reading!