Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The SOFT Black Devil Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default The SOFT Black Devil Project

Black Devil, is my favorite car. She often accompanied me in touring ctivities or doing light offroad. But after many years with her, I am getting rather bored and start thinking about change it. The main purpose of the changes for this XJ is different from the others.
Attached Thumbnails The SOFT Black Devil Project-lombok-011-s.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Incidentally, I was informed that the Grand Cherokee that was marketed in 2011 using an independent suspension system. This information then provides inspiration for me. What if I designed the XJ with independent rear suspension system? I was then imagine the appearance of the New Black Devil would like this picture ...
Attached Thumbnails The SOFT Black Devil Project-blackcherokee-dup1b.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Finally, I carry Black Devil to my friend's workshop. All parts dismantled. Starting from the engine up to the drive system. This is really a project with a total change. Also, I began looking for a IRS suspension system which is roughly appropriate for the applied.
Attached Thumbnails The SOFT Black Devil Project-img00597-20110222-1557.jpg  

Last edited by Black Devil; 03-14-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 AM

After visiting several Junkyard, I finally found what I was looking for. IRS suspension system from the Volvo 900 series! After measuring the dimensions, it turns out the IRS from Volvo can be applied on the XJ.

The next consideration due to the differential carrier Volvo 900 series was also similar to those used on the D30. Carrier on the IRS Volvo 900 series has 10 bolt holes. Size of gear and pinion is also the same. While the final gear is 41:11 which can be replaced by 41:10 because it is also widely available.

It is a bit problem is the drive axle. Volvo 900 series IRS uses a drive axle slightly smaller diameter than the D35. If the D35 has a drive axle with 27 splines, the Volvo uses 26 splines.
Attached Thumbnails The SOFT Black Devil Project-img00623-20110226-1734.jpg   The SOFT Black Devil Project-img00605-20110222-1718.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:10 AM

The small diameter of the drive axle from a Volvo is finally a consideration in the next draft. I realize that many things have to get an adjustment. Previously Black Devil uses C8.25 rear axle allowing to use of larger diameter tires such as 35-inch sizes. With a drive system that will I apply this, I automatically have to restrict the use of a maximum 32 inch tires. But it did not matter because I will benefit from the articulation of the suspension. With the IRS, the movement of the wheels will be more freely than leaf spring suspension system.
Attached Thumbnails The SOFT Black Devil Project-img00645-20110228-1646.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Once confident with this decision, the modifications began. Frankly, this will need quite a long time and also requires patience. But I'm ready to live it. In the meantime, if there are colleagues in this forum who are willing to give advice about the concept of the IRS, I would be very grateful.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

My opinion: I think having a rig that is different. But IRS on the trails, not so sure. You really don't see many, if any IRS rigs on the trail. Usually just for like baja kind of stuff. Even then, lots have solid rears. Just my 2 cents.

I am not steering you away from it. It is your rig, build it how you want to. That is what makes it your rig.

-John
Old 03-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jbetit
My opinion: I think having a rig that is different. But IRS on the trails, not so sure. You really don't see many, if any IRS rigs on the trail. Usually just for like baja kind of stuff. Even then, lots have solid rears. Just my 2 cents.

I am not steering you away from it. It is your rig, build it how you want to. That is what makes it your rig.

-John
Thanks John. Actually I agree with you. I had never seen the IRS application for adventure. But that's what I want to try, something different. Hahahaha... Maybe you have a reference, about what the IRS weakness in addition to the drive axle construction which supposedly weak? Of course, so that I can think of anticipation or looking for the solution?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by Black Devil
Thanks John. Actually I agree with you. I had never seen the IRS application for adventure. But that's what I want to try, something different. Hahahaha... Maybe you have a reference, about what the IRS weakness in addition to the drive axle construction which supposedly weak? Of course, so that I can think of anticipation or looking for the solution?
No problem. I don't have an exact answer other than the CV shafts are more likely to either break or fall out due to over extending. Also, like you stated earlier, it has a lower number of splines. To go from a 32" tire to a 35" tire I totally agree. But to go from a 35" tire down to a 32" tire, I don't understand. lol
Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 PM
AOR
Former Sponsor

OP, you should check and see what lockers are available for it, if any. If not, see if you can change out the side gears in the carrier (don't know anything about Volvo 900 series anything) to a higher spline count. Then call Sean Carlini at RCV Performance ((815) 877-7473 x 5706) and see if he can make you a CV shaft for it. That would be the bomb right there. He actually has two products for Volvo.

Of course you will have to provide him all the measurements and you would own it after you order it. So be precise. check and see what diameter shaft it will take maximum. You may have to do some more measuring and go to the same outside diameter seal that will accommodate a larger shaft.

this is from Wikipedia about that suspension:

There were also different suspension combinations depending on the model chosen:

* 1030: Standard rear axle
* 1031: Heavy-duty version of the 1030
* 1041: Rear axle with Eaton locking mechanism another link to info: http://www.justanswer.com/car/10ti5-...metedslip.html

Good luck with it. Sounds like an interesting project. I was actually thinking about this just the other day but for a JK. Sort of like the hummer drivetrain.

Namaste,

Allen

Last edited by AOR; 03-14-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by AOR
OP, you should check and see what lockers are available for it, if any. If not, see if you can change out the side gears in the carrier (don't know anything about Volvo 900 series anything) to a higher spline count. Then call Sean Carlini at RCV Performance ((815) 877-7473 x 5706) and see if he can make you a CV shaft for it. That would be the bomb right there. He actually has two products for Volvo.

Of course you will have to provide him all the measurements and you would own it after you order it. So be precise. check and see what diameter shaft it will take maximum. You may have to do some more measuring and go to the same outside diameter seal that will accommodate a larger shaft.

this is from Wikipedia about that suspension:

There were also different suspension combinations depending on the model chosen:

* 1030: Standard rear axle
* 1031: Heavy-duty version of the 1030
* 1041: Rear axle with Eaton locking mechanism another link to info: http://www.justanswer.com/car/10ti5-...metedslip.html

Good luck with it. Sounds like an interesting project. I was actually thinking about this just the other day but for a JK. Sort of like the hummer drivetrain.

Namaste,

Allen
Hi Namaste, thanks for sharing.
The types of Volvo rear axle that you're measured to me, are solid axle (base on D30). The 1030 used in Volvo 200 Series, 1031 for 700 and 900 series. But type 1031 applied to the 900 series equipped with LSD. While the 1041 is used on 900 series station wagon or turbo engine and equipped with the Eaton G80 locker (see pic). All of this type using drive axle with 27 splines and compatible for Cherokee D30 front axle (same diameter ring gear and 10 bolt holes).

For this project, I use the IRS that comes from the Volvo 900 series with turbo-engine. The type of differential also equipped with the Eaton G80, but with 26 spline side gears.

Talking about the diameter of drive axle that smaller than D35, I think there is no problem and I am also not too worried. My calculations, because of its shorter than the D35 drive axle so I'm sure his strength will be the same. What my concerns, just at the CV-joint but for that I will change it with X-joint construction. Hope this solution will be better...
Attached Thumbnails The SOFT Black Devil Project-d30-g80.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 PM

The project continue. After removing the Chrysler 8:25 rear axle is to determine the stand point of differential casing of IRS mounting. The most crucial point is the holder mounting on the front. How to determine that is by measuring the distance axis of the drive axle. Once the distance is obtained, I must also take into account the maximum distance of movement of the wheels to the top. Because I would use size 32 inch tires so I have to get the distance between the axis of axle drive with a minimum 18-inch to the fender lip.
Attached Thumbnails The SOFT Black Devil Project-img00599-20110222.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 02:25 PM

After getting the base point, I did a simulation by placing the mounting at the point intended.

The simulation shows the next process can be done. I chose a plate thickness of 6 mm to design the mounting cradle. This work combined well with the design of coil spring holder.
Attached Thumbnails The SOFT Black Devil Project-img00648-20110302-1418.jpg   The SOFT Black Devil Project-img00667-20110307-1827.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

WOW definatly intersted in this one. Keep the pictures coming so we can put the puzzle together