Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restoring my AZ XJ plus a few mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Restoring my AZ XJ plus a few mods

I have a 96 xj bone stock that I have been eagerly collecting parts to build it the way I want. This may take me a while to get it exactly how I want it, but after the 2.5 years of having it I have finally been able to get working on it.
I bought this xj with 136k (now has 142K and not a daily driver, mostly meant for trail riding and rocks) for $500. It had been sitting outside in the AZ sun so the metallic green had turned to faded green with disappearing clear coat making it more white than green. I had to install trans solenoids as it wasnt shifting properly. I got these on CL for $50 ($600 new). I then added a 1.5 spacer front and 2 inch AM springs and 1 inch block rear, this made it level. I cut the front fenders and folded in the rear fenders. It came with 31's on Alcoa rims that I traded my friend for 33's MTR's on black steel wheels. It also came with a brush guard ( I immediately took this off and sold it) and nerf bars that worked out great until they got beat up a bit ( I then fabbed my own rock slides).
It sat for a while after this, meaning I drove it but did nothing to it. I did put in new front door speakers and made a 10" speaker box that has a 400w amp that I bought from a guy from JeepForum.
Today I installed a drop pitman arm thats about 1" more drop than stock and I installed brown dog motor mounts. The whole job took about a hour. Prior to installation, I checked the trans mount and saw that it was brand new, this was the only brand new item on it when I bought it.
Check out the pics of the old motor mounts. The passenger mount had a crack in it just below the hole for the bolt. It really wasnt that bad, but since I had new ones I had better install them while I was replacing the other one.
Now for the drivers side mount... look there isnt anymore rubber. The bar pin was just floating around. Prior to this I had noticed several months earlier that my xj was really loud, but I figured it was my exhaust going out. I havent been out crawling in a few months now so I had forgotten about the sound and how badly it handled. After installing the browndog motor mounts, I have noticed how quiet it is and wonder if I have any other problems. I may have an exh leak but wont know until later in my build.
Attached Thumbnails Restoring my AZ XJ plus a few mods-old-motor-mounts-2.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM

Sorry I should have put a pic of what my xj looks like now.
These pics were taken in the mountains of AZ
Attached Thumbnails Restoring my AZ XJ plus a few mods-100_1461.jpg   Restoring my AZ XJ plus a few mods-treys-ride1.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 PM

Yesterday I removed the old nasty carpet and console and threw them away. The old console was cracked and missing its lid.
I have been searching for an underlying (sound reducing) coat to go under my new carpeting. I thought of herculiner since many jeep enthusiasts seem to use it. Then I thought why would I want to spend over a $100 just for sound dampening. I looked at Monstaliner, Duplicolor bedliner (they have a $25 refund for purchasing the gallon or if you buy the kit then its $30), and then I also thought I would buy the spray, but even it would be upwards of $75 + or -.
So I was cleaning out the garage and ran into a roofing product called Elastomeric. I had to use it on my roof after a few rain storms caused my roof to leak. Both gallon cans I had had hardened so off to Home Depot for a new one. $30 later and two thick coats of it on the pan and an overnight of drying, I have been able to install my carpeting from another jeep enthusiast from another forum.
Attached Thumbnails Restoring my AZ XJ plus a few mods-elastomeric-coating.jpg   Restoring my AZ XJ plus a few mods-new-carpet-2.jpg  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 liter 6-thumper
Default Comforting!

Xjallseasons, it is comforting to see a jeep so close to mine on this forum. Looking around I have been awfully intimidated by what I saw. I have yet to look around, as I am new to the forum, but I am looking to install some sliders onto my jeep. Craigslist is turning up a few results, but I am more interested in your fabricated ones. Got any tips? Measurements? Much appreciated!
-Crockett.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 AM

Default Its been awhile

I havent been on here in a while and my xj has been sick from an accident for the past 5 months. I got run off the road and hit a curb hard at about 50mph. It caused my axle to shift towards the drivers side about 3 inches. The only damage was the lower control arm bracket on passengers side was wasted (it didnt help it either that I rock crawl it and the mounts were both all bent up from all the rocks) and the steering box leaked like a civ.

I also have been working on a sand rail that I am building from the ground up. My funding for it has ceased and the end of the duning season is over in my books.

A bunch of wheelers asked if I wanted to join them on a trip at the end of the month, I figured its time to get working on the xj.

I bought a new electric fan from Rockauto.com for $70+ with tax and bought heavy duty 1/4" thick lower control arm brackets for the same price on ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

I installed the fan yesterday and removed the axle as well. Today I cut off and ground down the remaining metal from the OEM lower brackets. Tomorrow I will take the axle to a friend and have him weld the beefier ones on.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 AM

Default A list of things to do before the summer gets here!

My plans for the next month or so will be to:
1. finish the front axle lower control arm mounts. Buy a new passenger side shock as the other one is bent. Then paint it up and mount it.
2. Remove steering box and replace it with one from a friend. It was really dirty so I cleaned it up.
3. I have an oil leak on the pan or what could be the rear main. I have done a little research and see that the pan and rear main tend to go out together and since I have 150xxx miles then I feel its time.
4. I bought a gauge cluster that has all the gauges whereas mine has the idiot lights. Does anyone know where I can get the mileage calibrated to my current mileage?
5. I also bought a 99 and newer intake manifold and it needs to be installed. While I am in there I will inspect the exhaust manifold as it sounds like there is a leak. I might widen the throttle body.
6. I need to make my soundbar work. I bought one from a guy and installed it. I either wired it wrong or wires may have come apart as I only used electrical tape and here in AZ once the summer heat hits it, it turns to goo.
7. I need to buy a new window lock for my vented windows.
8. Before the summer gets here I need to recharge my A/C compressor as I plan to drive it a bit more.
9. Finish my rear cargo storage drawers I installed. Plus I would like to put my passengers side rear panel into a speaker box for my 12" speaker.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Crockett
Xjallseasons, it is comforting to see a jeep so close to mine on this forum. Looking around I have been awfully intimidated by what I saw. I have yet to look around, as I am new to the forum, but I am looking to install some sliders onto my jeep. Craigslist is turning up a few results, but I am more interested in your fabricated ones. Got any tips? Measurements? Much appreciated!
-Crockett.
Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner. Mine were made in a friends garage. The only advice is take your time in finding the right protection and make sure its made of thick material. Nothing like being out there and coming down hard on a rock or something and now your rocker panel is bent b/c your new protection looked cool but wasnt effective enough.