Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reservoir shocks for future long arm?

Old 10-18-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Reservoir shocks for future long arm?

I got a 2001 xj with a 6inch lift and adjustable control arms. I want to upgrade my shocks to a long travel reservoir shock since I need new ones anyways. I know the overtravel will stop at the limit of my short arm correct? Having shocks with more travel than I use won't hurt will it? And I will need to put larger bump stops or limiter straps in to keep from stuffing my tires? I'm looking at bilstein 5160's , any other suggestions on high end reasonably priced long travel reservoir shocks? (Last question) do long travel reservoir shocks ride decent on the road?
Old 10-18-2016, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

you are correct. installing some good long travel shocks now is fine prep for the future. at your lift height you will want to install a shock that has your desired uptravel (collapsed length + desired uptravel). and that's really all you need to measure for. buy a shock that meets your uptravel requirements and is as long as possible, you should end up around 5" up travel and 7" down travel is a fine goal. as long as the only thing you change in the future is your arms, this shock will work the same for both short arms/long arms

yes limit straps, always (you will probably need to adjust these when you get long arms)
yes bump stops, always

bilstein is good. at your level of driving, it's pick the shock with your favorite color. yes good quality shocks should have great road manners. over all set up is still a factor, it's not just shocks

measure the distance between your shock mounts at ride height
subtract your desired uptravel
this number is your collapsed length
find a shock that is close to that collapsed length (12-14" overall travel)
keep in mind that the thickness of the shock is a factor. the farther the axle droops, the more your shock angles in toward the engine. eventually this may cause contact with the frame. this is why limit straps are important. measure twice
Old 10-18-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much sir!