Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project trail rig 'Yolanda'

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Project trail rig 'Yolanda'

Currently as of 12/9/15

Hey everyone! Figured I'd start a build page to keep track of my progress. Just purchased this 2000 4x4 green XJ with 164k on it a few weeks ago. This is going to be my designated trail toy, and will mostly see off road miles. My lady decided her name would be Yolanda for some reason. I'll likely find a better one soon.

The same day I bought the jeep I ordered a rough country 4.5" full kit with leafs, black pro comp rims and some 32" Kenda klevers. The tires I got for only $500 shipped! We'll see how they hold up. Here's the progress so far.

Here she is the day I got her, 100% stock

First Thing I did was change all the fluids, air filter and plugs to make sure she was sea worthy. I also rattle canned the roof a similar green to cover up some rust.

Then my lift came. Installed everything myself in the parking lot behind my apartment. Basically used a torch and BFH to get me through it. Finished it up over the course of 1 week. Diff drop and extended brake lines also installed.

Lots of cursing and bloody knuckles later
I also starting taking off the front fender and the bumper caps. Really stoked on how she's sitting right now. Still needs some dialing in, and theres a couple noises that I need to check out. Sway bar discos will go on this week sometime also.

Last edited by long_and_greasy; 12-09-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:33 AM

Today I messed around with some angle steel and a cut off grinder. Came up with a pretty functional CB mount, rather than purchasing one that looks identical. Took me about 15 minutes total!

Also ordered some new goodies!

OMC rock krusher sliders
RC diff guard

Will be looking for bumpers soon. Front needs to have winch mount, preferably none or single hoop. Rear needs to be simple, D rings for sure, preferably a hitch mount. No swing out. Anyone have any good recommendations that aren't outrageously pricey??

Last edited by long_and_greasy; 12-07-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 AM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

thats a killer deal on rims and tires!!! where did you come across on that deal
Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by PNWpioneer
thats a killer deal on rims and tires!!! where did you come across on that deal
The tires I got off Ebay, and the rims were $50 each on 4 wheel parts!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:59 AM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

damn man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! killer deal
I have been pounding ebay for that kind of deal and cant turn up anything that close
Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Sweet ride!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:13 PM

Couple new goodies! Can't wait to smash this thing on some rocks. Also mounted up my CB radio. Fender trimming in progress as well. Got my JCR roof rack mounts in the mail. Going to start drawing plans for a low profile rack with side and rear lights.

Last edited by long_and_greasy; 12-07-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by long_and_greasy
Today I messed around with some angle steel and a cut off grinder. Came up with a pretty functional CB mount, rather than purchasing one that looks identical. Took me about 15 minutes total! Also ordered some new goodies! OMC rock krusher sliders RC diff guard Will be looking for bumpers soon. Front needs to have winch mount, preferably none or single hoop. Rear needs to be simple, D rings for sure, preferably a hitch mount. No swing out. Anyone have any good recommendations that aren't outrageously pricey??
for the bumpers. I went with ares fab front and rear. Nice and clean bumpers high clearance all that good stuff. Reasonable price. I chose a hitch front and rear and I'm going to put a winch on a plate and wire front and rear with disconnects to connect the winch in the front or the back and make a custom set of jumper cables thay just plug in so I don't have to even pop the hood. Just my ideas.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by long_and_greasy

Just a friendly heads up, I've heard of some nasty things happening to peoples knees with the CB mounted near that area. I would urge you to mount it either right above the rear view mirror (great location with reinforced metal there for self tappers), or along/in the center console somewhere.

Keep up the good work, you're gettin a lot done in a short time
Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Joshua White
Just a friendly heads up, I've heard of some nasty things happening to peoples knees with the CB mounted near that area. I would urge you to mount it either right above the rear view mirror (great location with reinforced metal there for self tappers), or along/in the center console somewhere.

Keep up the good work, you're gettin a lot done in a short time
Yeah I've been a little worried about that! It hasn't been a problem yet, but It might be once I'm on the trail. Shouldn't be too hard to move it If I need to.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:02 AM

Finished off the front fenders today! Found some sweet weather stripping that fit great.
Ignore the dent lolz.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90

Dents give character. They also let people know that it sees actual trails, and not just parking lots.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
for the bumpers. I went with ares fab front and rear. Nice and clean bumpers high clearance all that good stuff. Reasonable price. I chose a hitch front and rear and I'm going to put a winch on a plate and wire front and rear with disconnects to connect the winch in the front or the back and make a custom set of jumper cables thay just plug in so I don't have to even pop the hood. Just my ideas.

Just ordered both the Ares evolution rear bumper and front evolution winch bumper. Wallet hurts.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:42 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Looks good. I would move that cb. I used to have my kc light switch there and moved it after I broke it with my leg
Old 12-09-2015, 07:34 PM

Fenders are done! Cut/ folded the rear then sprayed with undercoat. She flexes good. Really digging the RC lift so far. It's not nearly as stiff as I thought it would be.

Quick Reply: Project trail rig 'Yolanda'