Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Poor, I suppose

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O
Default Project Poor, I suppose

My friend made a build thread for his TJ, and was bugging me to make one too. So I finally decided to make one, and so this whole first post is just catching up to where I am now.

During AIT my friend found a decent XJ for me to purchase back home. I was told it was an 89 with a 93 HO swap, and only 130k on the engine. Not knowing much of anything about Jeeps, or any vehicles for that matter, I thought "2k for a 4wd Jeep with only 130k.. not bad." So I picked her up, drove her around and decided she was worth the $2,000 the owner said. Turns out, she wasn't. Moldy and rusted speakers (so I assumed rust damage.. but I've yet to check),
89 manifold, ****ty leather seats (full leather though..), need all new window regulators, needed new brakes, new springs, shocks and all fluids NEEDED changed. But hey.. the e-brake works!
My mission, I guess, is to make it run perfect stock. Replace all stock components and then lift it from there. As it's my DD, I'm unable to do very lengthy thing unelss I do it over a weekend.

Here's a picture of her after I brought her home,

And here's the speakers compared to the new ones I put in. Cheaper AutoZone brand.

Turns out I needed new tires... just got some 235/75r15Winter iPikes for $200, mount/balance. They'll last me until I can get a lift and bigger tires.

Ended up flushing all fluids except differentials. Got hit in the rear, so I ended up putting on a new chrome bumper. ($30 on craigslist with hardware!) Then my friend asks to go to Tahuya with me. He has an '06 TJ, so with flat rear leafs.. I felt slighty emasculated by his TJ.

Here's my noob flex on the south loop at Tahuya (with swaybar connected)

Found some mud! Friends TJ in the background.

Broke the breather tube off of my cat, so I got that hole just welded up.
Ended up driving into a mailbox (long and retarded story), so I stole a fender and header panel off an MJ, and I liked the black flare, so I painted the rest black, too. And a front bumper off an 86 Laredo. (matching bumpers!... but aux lights are differing wiring type than the old stock ones, and I already got rid of the old stock ones... ugh.)

Ended up replacing the TPS, IAC, CPS, Brake switch, lock cylinder, radiator cap, and rear springs. Got rid of water bottle overflow and found a stock one at a JY!
Decided to burn the old bushings out..

I use new Crown HD leafs.

After all's said and done, and my leafs have settled, I have 19" in the back, and 18.5" ride in the front. Stuck between getting shackle relocators or lift shackles, and coils or pucks for the front. I want 3", and my Jeep already has an adjustable trackbar. 31x10.5x15s are on the wishlist for now, too.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 PM

I had a spare AW4 hanging around, so I traded that for an 8.25 with disc brakes. Next paycheck I'll be buying new u-bolts, fluid and all that such. Should be fully installed this next weekend.

Got the cover off, and after inspecting the gears (3.55, matches my front! I'll regear eventually, but for now I'll leave 'em at 3.55.) and brake cleaning and scraping off all the old gasket, I started sanding down the cover.

And now it's time for paint! The picture was after the 2nd coat. I'll be doing 2 more coats next weekend.

I also installed (with help of my father), a direct on/off switch to my electric fan. I decided to do this, because not only was the old wiring bad, but this gave me more control considering the old criteria to turn the fan on and such like that. The green with the red connector is a ground from a bolt inside the column there, the other green is the load directly from the fan. The black wire is hooked up to the fuse board power. That way I can turn my engine off and the fan won't keep running.

And this is how the switch is set up. Not really the best place, but I have all the stock switches so it seemed the easiest.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:38 PM

Had an old tow bar, so I bought some weld-on dring brackets. And found a front skid!