Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project pick n pul

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Project pick n pul

Not sure if this a story or build thread to start but hope it will end up being a build thread. To make a long story short this xj was headed to to local jy until gas went up and I needed a hunting rig and dd,the problem was my son had decided he wanted to make a rockcrawler,he was 15 at the time. He had stripped it to nothing. The only way it was going back on the road was buying everything from the local jy. I had to replace,the doors,glass,hood,back hatch and fenders to just drive again.
That was 2-1/2 years ago.
At some point I guess I decided to build it for my outdoor activities,but as cheap as possible but very reliable.
Since then I have installed the rack,tire carrier,rearend D44 which I bartered for,engine which is out of a 91 that I traded 2 mounted ducks for that were given to me,would not trade mine,and the cooling system from a 91,and lift from a ford ranger and another xj.
There has been more but that is the big stuff.
At this point I have about $700 total in it.
Now that my kids are out of college it is the xjs turn to get completed.
With the clunker program I was able to find almost new carpet from an 89 and the headliner and center console from a 98,had to have cup holders and the headliners are much better than the ones in 89s. The only pics I have at this time is the interior as it was never my plan to rebuild it.
what is next,I plan on finishing it over the next two months with any luck.
Bpacks in the back and 4" coils in the front with a 1" spacer to fit 32s I have.
Adj track bar and lower adj control arms with all new bushings up front.
Disc brakes on the rear from a 95 GC
Front bumper and 10,000lb winch I have.
Camo paint
Last but not least a stroker,I just bought a 258 for $35 that has been rebuilt so I may be able to use the bearings again but I will more than likley buy new,almost hate to though because my motor runs so well.
My goal is to build my jeep for less than $2000 and have a very reliable rig for everything. I do not use it for serious off roading,I do alot of hunting and that is what it is for.
I will post pics as it happens
Attached Images      

Last edited by Abovetimberline; 11-17-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

what modifications did you need to do in order to fit the new center console
Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 PM

Year: 1988

x2
Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

It was pretty easy actually,I removed the console from the 98 ans the pedestal it sets on in the rear. All I did was mount the pedestal and install the console. It is pretty close to an exact fit. The vent from the heater that runs underneathe the console had to be lenghthned so I cut the fromt off the old one and duct taped it to the new one,works great. see pics. My interior is almost like new with a couple of upgrades.
Attached Images     
Old 11-18-2009, 12:47 PM

sweet mod i really need to try this one.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Abovetimberline
Not sure if this a story or build thread to start but hope it will end up being a build thread. To make a long story short this xj was headed to to local jy until gas went up and I needed a hunting rig and dd,the problem was my son had decided he wanted to make a rockcrawler,he was 15 at the time. He had stripped it to nothing. The only way it was going back on the road was buying everything from the local jy. I had to replace,the doors,glass,hood,back hatch and fenders to just drive again.
That was 2-1/2 years ago.
At some point I guess I decided to build it for my outdoor activities,but as cheap as possible but very reliable.
Since then I have installed the rack,tire carrier,rearend D44 which I bartered for,engine which is out of a 91 that I traded 2 mounted ducks for that were given to me,would not trade mine,and the cooling system from a 91,and lift from a ford ranger and another xj.
There has been more but that is the big stuff.
At this point I have about $700 total in it.
Now that my kids are out of college it is the xjs turn to get completed.
With the clunker program I was able to find almost new carpet from an 89 and the headliner and center console from a 98,had to have cup holders and the headliners are much better than the ones in 89s. The only pics I have at this time is the interior as it was never my plan to rebuild it.
what is next,I plan on finishing it over the next two months with any luck.
Bpacks in the back and 4" coils in the front with a 1" spacer to fit 32s I have.
Adj track bar and lower adj control arms with all new bushings up front.
Disc brakes on the rear from a 95 GC
Front bumper and 10,000lb winch I have.
Camo paint
Last but not least a stroker,I just bought a 258 for $35 that has been rebuilt so I may be able to use the bearings again but I will more than likley buy new,almost hate to though because my motor runs so well.
My goal is to build my jeep for less than $2000 and have a very reliable rig for everything. I do not use it for serious off roading,I do alot of hunting and that is what it is for.
I will post pics as it happens
Rear brakes from what???
Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Puertorricancherokee
Rear brakes from what???
The disc brakes are off a 95 Grand cherokee,and they are going on a D44,The hardest part is I have to pay the shop about $80 to put spacers and new bearings,I do not have a press,the rest is easy.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bigbadcherokee
sweet mod i really need to try this one.
Thanks,I was not sure how it would turn out but it is nice.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4L

You can BUY a press at Harbor Feight and Tools for $80.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

the cheapest I could find was $140 but it would still be worth it,I am still about 2 weeks from doing the swap,I will take a look we have a harbour freight here,thanks.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Not the update I planned but went to the jy today for something else and scored on these seats,they are just like they came from the factory,besides finding my d44 in the jy this is the second biggest find I have had yet. Also installed my new dt shocks they are great shocks,waiting on track bar and control arms before I lift it to 4"
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

This is going alot slower than I thought it would but I finally got the camo job done,turned out pretty good,could not get the brown to come out the way I wanted but it is the way it is now.
Up next is the lift and tires.
Winch
Then the stroker,1/2 way done at this point,the engine I have now is running so well I cannot justify replacing it.
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Paint looks good. I was told that there were mods you had to do to put a newer style headliner in. Is that in fact true? I really want the new style in mine because I like how the sound bar is part of it. Also I really like the newer style console. In order to do it your saying I nee to also pull a bracket off the floorboard?
Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM

x2 on the paint i have never seen home made camo that looks that good!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks,I use 7 cans of paint and several redwood branches,and alot of testing. About $50 total.

Quick Reply: Project pick n pul