Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project No Name Yet

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter
Default Project No Name Yet

Hey forum,
Been a while since I have posted or even read to be honest. I am going to start one of these build threads, and it will be a little slow moving, but I promise, stuff will happen.

The jeep:
My jeep is a 95 xj country edition. It has the 4.0 and all that jazz. It is an automatic (probably the one thing I would change about it). It has around 155k on it, and it has 0 rust (thankfully). I have had it for 3 years, but nothing big has really happened to it yet.

Whats been done:
I have a bunch of basic daily driver type mods done to it. I have a basic stereo system with the head unit, speakers, and a sub in it. I lined most of the tub, hatch, and doors with sound insulation materials. I have a catback from IRO on it, but performance wise it is stock, I enjoy the reliability of it. It has tinted windows, bedlined bumpers, and painted wheels. I built a toolbox for the rear cargo that also hold my sub and amp. It also has 30" all terrain tires on it that I really enjoy. And one of my favorites, a viper alarm system with remote start. There are probably a few other things, but it was bone stock when I got it and everything I listed I did myself (except the alarm system, it kicked my *** and I had to give up). To top it off, the transfer case took a dump so I just finished that repair. I sent it off to be rebuilt, and it runs great now.

The plan:
A lift! I will be ordering one in the next week, I just want an easy to install 3" lift that I can daily drive, but will prevent me from getting stuck like my current worn out suspension. I will also be installing some sort of front bumper with recovery points. I have been 3D modeling a few roof rack designs as well that I really want to build. I just dont have a welding setup at the moment, so we will see. Other plans include a rear bumper with carrier eventually, paint or maybe DIY wrap it.

I am going to try and attach pictures of the jeep, and I will show you guys my roof rack design as well.
Thanks for reading this long winded post, but I though it might be fun. The lift obviously wont be revolutionary, but I thought you guys might enjoy the roof rack build, or some other stuff I am working on. If you all have any ideas or contributions, feel free to share. I also have 3D modeling software and a 3D printer for prototyping, and I would enjoy sharing those ideas I have as well.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

I ended up bed lining mine and was really happy with it. About $300 for two gallons of the good stuff.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 87xjbeast
I ended up bed lining mine and was really happy with it. About $300 for two gallons of the good stuff.
Thats awesome, what brand did you use?
Old 08-29-2017, 01:23 PM

Update since its been a while, the lift kit was put on hold since my transfer case was in need of replacement. I got it rebuilt by a shop that came with a decent warranty, but it still cost more than I would have liked. But that is behind me now, and I am back to modifications. I now live at school again, so I no longer have a garage. I do have two jack stands and a bottle jack, so I am not sure that I can install a lift kit anymore, I still have sockets and wrenches and a breaker bar, but no air tools or car lift. Anybody done a parking lot lift install before? Could it be done in a few days? Otherwise I can't do it until next summer if I go home. And I don't want to do the accessories such as bumpers and such until I have the lift so I do not look like a chump.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

I've done two lifts in drive ways, I don't imagine a parking lot would be much worse. Since you're limited to just a bottle jack you might want to get spring compressors for the coils, you can rent them for free from advance/autozone. That way you won't have to jack up the front end as much to drop the coils out and get the new ones in. The biggest pain in my opinion is leaf spring eye bolts / shackle bolts if they break it sucks and usually they are rusted in there pretty good so just make sure you hit them with plenty of pb blaster prior to attempting to remove them and don't be afraid to use a torch. Also be prepared to replace the rear upper shock bolts and weld nuts since they will probably snap.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
I've done two lifts in drive ways, I don't imagine a parking lot would be much worse. Since you're limited to just a bottle jack you might want to get spring compressors for the coils, you can rent them for free from advance/autozone. That way you won't have to jack up the front end as much to drop the coils out and get the new ones in. The biggest pain in my opinion is leaf spring eye bolts / shackle bolts if they break it sucks and usually they are rusted in there pretty good so just make sure you hit them with plenty of pb blaster prior to attempting to remove them and don't be afraid to use a torch. Also be prepared to replace the rear upper shock bolts and weld nuts since they will probably snap.
Okay that's a good tip, I will get those compressors. Should I just plan on pre-buying all the hardware I would end taking off anyways? I am not afraid to break bolts as long as I can get replacements, but I don't really have access to a torch. By torch do you mean a a full blown oxy-acetylene torch, or could I just buy some cheap propane torch? Sorry for all the dumb questions, I enjoy working on my jeep, but I have never done a lift before, and I can't really have it taken apart for more than 3 or 4 days. So I want to make sure I have everything together. I just bought a new socket set the other day, not snap on or anything, but a decent set.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:35 PM

just a propane torch should be good, just something to heat the bolt/nuts to break free rust. You should probably buy the upper rear shock bolts before hand, and some wire to fish them into place, a quick google search on the topic of XJ rear upper shock bolts should give good results on how to take care of them. And new U bolts for the axle are usually a good idea
Old 09-04-2017, 08:42 PM

For the upper rear shock bolts, buy the Rough Country bar pin flag nut. Best and quickest solution. Probably the only Rough Country part that will ever touch my jeep lol, but it is a good one.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
just a propane torch should be good, just something to heat the bolt/nuts to break free rust. You should probably buy the upper rear shock bolts before hand, and some wire to fish them into place, a quick google search on the topic of XJ rear upper shock bolts should give good results on how to take care of them. And new U bolts for the axle are usually a good idea
I will for sure be getting new u-bolts, and thanks for the tip on the upper shock bolts. Hopefully I will find a good weekend in my schedule here soon and I can get it all in place.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jalebate
For the upper rear shock bolts, buy the Rough Country bar pin flag nut. Best and quickest solution. Probably the only Rough Country part that will ever touch my jeep lol, but it is a good one.
I just looked that kit up, it seems super interesting, I did not know that that was such a big issue. What do you think the cost:frustration value is here? I have been reading, and I guess these bolts are pretty common for breaking. Could I fashion something like this myself with some less expensive materials? Or is having that metal bracket there key to the solution?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:55 AM

I have been lazy and haven't posted this yet, but I figured I would share my idea here. I designed this roof rack to have a sort of built in tool box that I would line with some softer materials to keep things from making a lot of noise. This is my predominant design, it has the triangular nose to hopefully keep noise down and improve aero a little bit. I was planning on the JCR brackets to mount it, or maybe incorporate a way to mount to the factory roof rack mounting points.Light bar brakets could easily be fabbed to hold a light bar right in front of the rack there. Maybe you could mount the spare tire behind it and that would have little to no aero effect. Just some thoughts, I also designed one that was just a rectangle toolbox, but I didn't like how it looked. I have also been thinking about making a tubular design, but from a fabrication standpoint I don't know anything about bending tubing or getting those perfect circular cuts so they will joint well.

Here it is, I might make some changes, but this is a general idea that is accurately dimensioned and such.

Here is a photo that shows the toolbox when it is open, I did not model in hinges, But I figure they could be easily attached to the inside so they are not showing on the outside.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:26 PM

Update: I did the lift kit a couple if months ago, and I love it. I went with the zone 3" lift and compared to my worn out suspension I got around 4" of lift. It rides just as good as stock, and the new shocks made it even better. Note: I had to put a 3/4" transfer case drop to eliminate some minor vibrations. Now I am looking at wheels and tires. There is a set of 2017 rubicon wheels and tires for sale locally that I am interested in. I know I will need an adapter, but will the backspacing be okay? From what I can see it should work, and the tires are the right size. Any input or experience?

I have also taken to replacing hoses and stuff throughout the engine bay to clean it up and replace the old cracking stuff. So whenever I see some for sale I usually buy it and throw it in. Thats about it for now, once I get new wheels and tires I plan on doing the JCR offroad DIY bumper
Old 02-12-2018, 01:05 PM

A quality set of adapters will run you close to $200 so unless you're getting a really good deal on the tires and wheels you probably won't be saving too much money if any versus buying a set of 32" tires of your choice and some cheap 15" steelies, not saying you shouldn't do it just saying, keep that in mind.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And depending on what you do with the jeep going off road with that setup is probably not wise. I too investigated this as i came across some wrangler tires and wheels combo for cheap but realized it wasn't ideal for my off road applications.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 PM

Yah I get that, I am prepared to buy a quality set of spacers, and I dont rock crawl any crazy stuff like that. Some dirt trails here and there and every once in a while some mud for fun. The only reason I am considering the rubicon wheels is because of the style. The rubicon hardrock wheels (black) would look pretty sweet, and the factory tire size is about what I am looking for. But if it doesnt work out the 15" steelies are definetely my back up plan.