Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

project greengoblin

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default project greengoblin

this is long over due. here we go! this is how it sat when i first got it stock as stock can be

well after a year of driving it the motor started ticking drove it for 2 years till one night wham motor went by by.after it was pulled looked down into intake and do you see what i see. thats right chunks of piston rings in the intake

well got another motor this one was out of a 99 just got to get her buttoned up

up and running sweet! now i really hated that it was stock so time to lift it. talk about a pain for got to get new bolts for the leaf springs. so it took all weekend but i was pleased when it was done

drove it for about another year and i needed a bumper. so i got a bumper from nates 4x4 hung it in my basement and painted it

2 days later i installed it

looks good i love it! well then i got laid off one summer well then thats when the mods really started. i need a place for tools and a place for my winch. and installed a compressor out of a battery jump box. and this is how it looks now.

well i just could'nt stop with just that i made the front doors removable

needed some type of doors on it so i found these on craigslist

they did allright for one sommer but really didnt care for them well then over the winter got a tick from this motor. but this time it got really loud well pulled it and desided to take it apart to find out what was wrong. well this is what i found in the oil pan.

huh oooo not good started pulling the pistons and walla number five piston was shot

then noticed this

well all new pistons were going in. bling bling

got it all back together with some neon injectors now im gettting any where from 17 to 24 mpg depending how i drive it

well summer is here and i didnt like the half doors so time to build something what ya think about these i had to build them my own design

so much better than the half doors. then i thought i really hate the tan interior so im gonna change that and pulled all the panels out

then i found this was not happy but what can you do

well when i took off the bumper caps it didnt look good here is the pass side

diver looked just as bad well cut them out since i couldnt do the cut and fold and made some pans and rivited them in and sealed them

all done sweet! well then i decided i want a cb well no problem

where to mount the antenna! mmmm i got it ill just make a mount and it turned out great

from the out side

ok back to the panels got them hung and painted them flat black

reinstalled them and i love it

next i got rid of the clutch fan and intsalled another factory electric fan with a after market temp switch to turn it on and off

well i had some switches laying around and installed them into the dash for the power to my winch and both fans

top is for the winch and bottom is a 2 postion first click main fan and second click both run. well i needed mirrors on the tube doors got some from a wrongler and installed them

next came the rockers they were bad

so took a weekend and installed these

2x6 tubing i need to tie them into the unibody frame yet but its to cold out. so spring project is a coming i have so many other things to do to it in my head but just have to find the money and warm weather.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

Nice work, your fixing everything along the way ..
Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice build so far, I dig the upgrades good stuff bud.

Does the winch just sit on the box or does it bolt down? The reason why I'm asking is because during the event of a roll over you dont want 75lbs of winch smacking you in the back of the head, ontop of everything else that isnt already bolted down.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gionet
nice build so far, I dig the upgrades good stuff bud.

Does the winch just sit on the box or does it bolt down? The reason why I'm asking is because during the event of a roll over you dont want 75lbs of winch smacking you in the back of the head, ontop of everything else that isnt already bolted down.

there is a piece of flat bar that i welded a 2' tube to that the winch goes into so i can pin it in there. the plate is bolted to the top of my storage area and thats bolted to the wheel wells.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 AM

well i have done some more work the last few weeks first i didnt like how my oil pressure guage just sat on the dash. i bought a universal guage pod and with a little heat it formed to how i wanted it.

Name:  IMG_0178.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  103.0 KB

and yesterday i decided to make a plate to go behind the steering box. didnt get any pics of that. also built my own steering box brace

Name:  IMG_0172.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0173.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  98.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0174.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  90.1 KB
Old 01-30-2012, 12:41 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Really like the mods you've made. Especially in the trunk area! Jeep should have thought about making an area to store extra stuff from the start. Since mine's a daily drive, with no backup, it makes it very difficult to do anything that takes longer than a day, but since I'm fully retired, I don't have an excuse not to be down for a couple or three days. Since the spare takes up valuable room in the back area, I put mine on the roof, and use bungee cords to keep it in place. All someone has to do is take a sharp knife, and bam,a couple of minutes and it's gone. It could happen anywhere. How long did it take to fabricate the front bumper, and how much weight did it add? Your creative abilities are awesome, but then I was an accountant who pushed paper for a living, so my abilities to work with my hands are extremely limited. So yes, I'm jealous. I assume putting in those injectors helped. Would that be a day job? Too bad you're not in the Colorado Springs area, as I would pick your brain daily.

Pat
Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM

got my new tires today

Name:  IMG_0209.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  101.4 KB
Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 AM

Finally installed the door plugs. So much easer to get the doors off
Attached Thumbnails project greengoblin-image-219301223.jpg   project greengoblin-image-3663030970.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 AM

Year: 95

looking good
Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by tripp
looking good
Thanks I am proud of what its becoming
Old 07-21-2012, 06:32 PM

rear bumper i built. things still to add are recover points and swing away tire carrier

Name:  IMG_0644.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  268.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0645.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  234.8 KB

then side armor i built

Name:  IMG_0648.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  175.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0681.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  189.1 KB
Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 PM

well its been awhile but here is what i have been up too.

decided to build a swinging spare tire rack. went on the cheapo side welded two pieces of cold rolled 3/8" plate with a 1" hole in them to the bumper. didnt want to loose and light from the reverse lights.

Name:  IMG_0101.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  77.9 KB

now when its all finished moved license plate to the rear bumper.

Name:  IMG_0104.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  80.6 KB

well after a few weeks i didnt like where the plate was. so i made a 2 piece bracket to hold the plate at the spare tire.

Name:  IMG_0228.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  92.3 KB

the led licence plate light i used is super bright

Name:  IMG_0230.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  41.9 KB

with summer upon us and my xj being dark green i decided to paint the roof white. it cut down the temp by 20 degree's in side.

Name:  IMG_0229.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  81.6 KB
Old 05-19-2013, 09:48 PM

Year: 97

Good to see another XJ country here in MI. I like the work youve done so far. I would have never of thought of painting the roof white! Although the idea crossed my mind when I saw the electric bill for the house last summer.
Look forward to seeing some more.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Leftjab13
Good to see another XJ country here in MI. I like the work youve done so far. I would have never of thought of painting the roof white! Although the idea crossed my mind when I saw the electric bill for the house last summer.
Look forward to seeing some more.
Thanks it's a labor of love. Lol I'm always thinking of different things to do to it. I still have an alternator from a grand cherokee that has to go in and then the big project. COWEL HOOD! Lol building my own.