Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project 'Ding King' 2 Door XJ Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Project 'Ding King' 2 Door XJ Build

ok here it goes, i bought this a few months ago as a parts jeep for my previous one (wanted to do a full driveline swap) but upon further inspection the red one was in better condition (rust wise) the body was beat though, it was in a side collision (pass door and quarter pannel) and then it was in a second collision where someone ran a red light and that stripped the front end of all parts, so i took it home from CT for 350$ and swapped body pannels from the teal 2 door
and this was what i was left with

it has the 4.0HO the 4wd works and has less miles than my other jeep did (122k)
it still had no bumper cause the prev owner bent it all to hell so i fabbed my own with a swingout carrier (still need to finish it)

trimmed the fenders and bumper

no sway bars

and now for the lift, i ordered a 6.5''rough country long arm kit and started that the other day, i got the front 90% done, they sent me the wrong track rod bracket so i gotta wait for that to come in tomorrow and then i gotta get the pittman arms swapped out and do the rear, i also bedlined the interior and got rid of that nast ***** soggy rug

taking the axle out

bed lined the fenderwells
before cleaning

after cleaning

after bed liner

taking seats out

bye bye smelly ***** carpet

after liner

new sexy crossmember in
Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 PM

lower arms in

upper arms in

transfer case skid on

hanging the springs

putting axle back in

axle in

quick disco's

shocks, brake lines, ABS lines and disco's finished

on its own weight

my wheel spacers should be here friday, the rest of the parts to finish u the front end will be here tomorrow
most of you must be thinking, ohh what a POS and he is just putting more into it then its worth, but im only 18 and i got layed off from work, and so far im doing the lift all by myself, nobody has lent a hand yet, dad might tomorrow to help me bleed the brakes haha
sorry to the people that dont like it and i hope everyone else enjoys :smt039
Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM

ughh can someone move this to the builds section, idk why it ended up here, sorry long day of work on the XJ im like falling asleep
Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Hey your building a Jeep and it's a 2 door XJ. I think most put more into a lift than their Jeep is worth..

Looking good and can't wait to see the out come.

What's the tire size plan?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM

i have a set of 33'' general grabbers laying around with 4'' backspacing rims and i have a set of 1.25'' wheel adapters on the way. and ill update as i go and youll see why its called the 'ding king'
Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I wouldn't add the spacers.. 4" backspace is fine..
Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 PM

well i wanted wider than the 4'' and i need the adaptors cause the rims are off of my dads CJ7 so i needed to adapt from 5x4.5>5x5.5
Old 01-08-2010, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

How long did it take you to yank your carpets out and bedline it, im thinking of doing it myself in the spring once it gets a little warmer.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

let us know how the RC LA kit is... theres been alot of hype about it
Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Iant333
How long did it take you to yank your carpets out and bedline it, im thinking of doing it myself in the spring once it gets a little warmer.
ehh only took like a hour to take everything out, you just gotta take your time so you dont break stuff, ill redo the liner with better stuff in the spring, we can have a interior party if u want haha

Originally Posted by rweaver138
let us know how the RC LA kit is... theres been alot of hype about it

will do, once my jeep stops being a bi%c#

steering stabilizer

wheel spacers here

track rod in

stabilizer installed

spacers on

tire on

the other tires on

we started on the back, bad things happened haha, i knew the shock bolts were gonna break like everyone elses and they did, so instead of screwing with the access holes i cut 2 holes in the floor to fix the broken bolts

and dad was taking the rear springs out and he managed to break one of the front leaf bolts, its a welded nut inside the frame, so tomorrow were gonna get some cutting wheels and cut the bolt so we can get the spring out of the way and then we will just either cut a access hole in the bottom of the frame to get a nut in there or we will just run one massive bolt through the whole frame rail im not sure yet but more updates to come

Last edited by Teal2doorXJ; 01-08-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:37 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

I gotta give ya props for the work you have allready accomplished because it looks dam cold outside. The temps here in Nebraska have been below zero all week and although I have a garage, I still have a hard time getting motivated to go out and tinker with the jeep. Is the bedliner stuff you used in the fenderwell the spray on type in the can? It looks really good.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 89 XJer
I gotta give ya props for the work you have allready accomplished because it looks dam cold outside. The temps here in Nebraska have been below zero all week and although I have a garage, I still have a hard time getting motivated to go out and tinker with the jeep. Is the bedliner stuff you used in the fenderwell the spray on type in the can? It looks really good.

yeah i just put up a carport to stay out of the wind, i think todays high is supposed to be 17*f its pretty cold but i layer up and try to stay busy to keep my mind off the cold, i do have a propane salamander heater but i try to conserve the fuel so i only use it if im doing the bed liner or if i get really really cold

the bedliner i used is duplicolor roll on (was like a gallon for like 60$) im not crazy about this brand but it will work for the winter, i will be doing it over in the spring with u-pol and hopefully ill paint the jeep in the spring with a matte red color

Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 PM

i disassembeled the back and managed to break the welded nut inside the frame so i had to cut out the spring and re-build the shackel mount

well this is what i had before

so i remade the bracket
(tacked into place)

welded and painted

and working on a jeep wouldnt be complete without mass amounts of blood

springs and shocks in

my access holes :smt013

brake line in, spacer on, and shock in ready for wheels and tires

tire is flat from sitting

i love this

to the bottom of the door measurment

taa daa!!!!

:smt045 :smt047
the only thing left to do now is to get the front axle centered :smt012
that took a half hour to get the track rod bolt all the way through with two people so idk how much of pain in the *** thats gonna be, then i gotta replace the hard line for the rear brakes, and torque everything down, the SYE should be here tomorrow so hopefully that gets finished by tomorrow night, im looking to have this thing 100% and drivable by friday at the latest :smt006
Old 01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 2.5L

youve got a good lookin xj there im diggin that lift looks sick with the spacers
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM

that thing is a beast

Quick Reply: Project 'Ding King' 2 Door XJ Build