Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Project Coal Country

Old 06-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default Project Coal Country

i guess its time to start the build thread for my new xj. purchased it a few weeks ago and have been adventuring with her and discovering what it does and does not need. so far have done brake work ujoints fluids etc. i will begin documenting actual build progress with the front end. i have ball joints tres etc coming in the mail (boring stuff i know but stuff none the less). so to keep it short but sweet here she is and i look forward to updating often with any small fixes dodads rebuilds etc. thanks for lookin and keep on jeepin on.

also i know the tires are HORRENDOUS i am in the process of fixing this

Old 06-01-2018, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee

That is a good looking XJ! Tires can be pretty expensive so I understand that quite well. Might want to consider some cheaper alternative 33" tires on eBay or something mudstar until you can afford really nice ones. To each their own but I had them on my XJ and they drove nice on roads and some mild stuff I had been I to before I sold my jeep. Good luck will check back to see more progress.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Smoked Joints

Today was the day to tackle all the joints. the current were absolutely shot and she hated driving with them creaks pops groans and destroyed the tires. the previous owner must have let this go unchecked for far to long but things happen. i understand. so lets do the the wheel u joints the balljoints tres and last minute steering stabilizer because why not.

the process started off pretty smoothly

but i realized i dont have the small lock that should be on the axle nut will have to check how dangerous that is and pick one up but i seem to remember there being a rubber seal behind the lock on my previous xj so will just order up both sides nuts fresh if pretty cheap

the tie rod ends/pitman/stabilizer all came out amazingly smoothly with no pullers just a small coaxing much to my surprise. this was too good to be true.

it was at this point i decided i might as well get a new steering stabilizer partly because it most likely needed one and my aim here is tightening up the front end. thankfully its not prone to death wobble i have induced it once on an uphill at 60 and nailed an extreme pothole and never again. or i may just be able to supress it when i do feel it as iv had a wobble in my f250 as well. but i digress on a straight road you wouldnt think anythigns wrong up there it runs fine up to 65 mph but the joints are absolutely smoked so shes running straight with black magic i would assume. i do have bad wander on extremely uneven pavement when half the road is raised or sloped wrong from repairs. these stretches can last for miles and can be quite a situtaion. hence the rush to get these repairs done first and foremost.

up until now everything was cooperating and flying the white flags. until i met the small castle nut on the steering stabilizer. that little guy gave such a fight he wanted every schmigameter of his territory and the stud on the reverse was his reinforcements which i was to meet shortly. but alas both were vanquished and progress resumed.

progress moved so swiftly on the ball joints i had forgotten to take pictures while a friend helped press them out i began to work on the tie rod. a tip here is to measure everything measure it twice and measure it again. on the next update (spoiler alert its moved to a multi day project) i will show how and where i measure to align the new ones in the original positions and close as possible. but by no means am i an expert so dont listen to me anyway. but we dont want to tear the new parts apart with an atrocious alignment but we will be getting one done shortly after front end repairs are done.

now we were working with a balljoint press my budddy had from harbor freight which had previously been ever so slightly bent from removing ball joints from a mustang which happened to be mine which also happened to be the only other time the press was used. so we knew we were on borrowed time with a small bend can only come a bigger one. and on the last removal the clamp yielded and bent open like a wet taco. no problem tho we have big f'n hammers we have lil hammers we have thick steel to set on it and whallop! itll move! we have air chisels and this shoddy drill bit i found behind the jack! itll move! oh the neighbors here asking about all the ruckus hes got plans too! man ittl move now!

it didnt move... thats ok autozone has a rental program for tools and im going there anywhere to get the stabilizer and grease and some other goodies. BUT since autozone wants 230 bucks to borrow one which i dont even have at the moment thats ok ill go buy another one from harbor freight and ittl pop right out! with a fresh straight ball joint press! we need another one to press the new ones in anyway why did we waste so much effort? how silly...oh wait..whys it so empty....its sunday and now its too late......

STAY TUNED as we delve into the reconstruction phase of this tear down after i make that smarmy little ball joint bend to my will.

as a bonus ill include a random outdoors photo in every update
Old 06-13-2018, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

didnt get many pictures of the progress but i did get the front end back together. i got as close as i could but certainly needs an alignment.

the jeep has no death wobble to speak of any longer but it has a BAD wander if the road becomes uneven (paved on one side) it upsets the **** out of her and she dosent know which way to go. im writing this problem up to the steering gear? which i believe to be ovaled out since its leaking badly. and not being aligned yet. will update when both are done if it helps at all.

As you can see i also got rid of the racing slicks the previous owner was running and got some decent used tires. 33x12.5 it was basically a desperation buy from a used tire dealer (smiths used tires) as i found nothing on craigslist or facebook that wasnt either dry rotted or slicked.. it was 200 bucks for them balanced and mounted and they arent very tready but atleast they arent slicks and should HOPEFULLY get me trough the summer so i can give her a decent pair of shoes. iv been eyeballing the 10.5 wide falken wildpeaks.

insert random outdoor photo