Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Camping Buddy

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Project Camping Buddy

I purchased my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport from a buddy's sister a couple weeks ago. It has 141000 miles on it and the interior is in very good condition. The exterior is rough but is exactly what I was looking for. I don't have to wash it or worry about dents/dings/scratches.

My goal for this truck, as money and time allow, is a small lift, new tires, storage in back, jerry cans for water/fuel, roof rack, mild front bumper etc.

My dream is to have a truck that I can keep loaded with camping essentials, throw in a few things, and hit the back country for a camping weekend. The rear storage I want would be a covered area in the back hatch where I can keep fuel for my jet boil, ammo, tarps, and miscellaneous other camping necessities.

I'm on a strict budget, and have no fabrication skills. I'm not afraid of doing things myself but have limited tools.

Any ideas or suggestions anyone wants to give me is greatly appreciated.

Pics-
When I first got it cleaned up,

My camping buddy helping me paint the wrecked stock wheels,

Wheels painted desert khaki and mounted,

Dash sprayed desert khaki,

My theme may be desert khaki accessories i.e. roof rack, push bar etc.

Thanks for looking First camping trip is coming up in March. Me and my buddy who has a matching XJ
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 AM

Removed door trim. Will be using spray-on bed liner for rocker panels and fender flares as well as front and rear bumpers.

I have no budget but am friends with the operators of a local junkyard where I will be getting most of my parts.

Once I'm on days off I plan on rigging up a Jerry can for water, a rear floor storage system, a CB radio, possibly a roof rack/ladder (cuz it looked cool on the olive zombie)

Last edited by 2dbatcv; 02-26-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Removed the trim and borrowed a rubber wheel from a friend to remove the trim tape. On the first side, I tried to take too much of the tape off with the wheel and burned a couple spots of paint, no big deal due to the paint not being very good anyway, but slightly irritating. The second side, I used a razor to get the tape down to almost nothing prior to using the rubber wheel. Worked much better.

Most of it looks okay, but the driver's side rear door looks like it has overspray or something going on.

Needs some buffing but not visible from 10 feet away:

Black overspray? on rear driver's side door. In the paint and won't come off. The primer is covering rust until I can fix it.

One day soon, I will wire wheel the rust off (hopefully it doesn't make a hole in the door) then cover the rocker panels in bed liner. Also thinking about doing the fender flares while I'm at it. Any suggestions on that?

Couple of junkyard parts I've been eyeballing. Don't know about the tire carrier. I will swing it out a couple times before buying it to make sure its not gonna destroy my quarter panel.

The overhead console looks like it may fit in my 2000 even though it's from a pre-97. I'll have to see. Would be a great place for off-road light switches, etc..

Last edited by 2dbatcv; 02-26-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Default Storage box

I nearly completed my hatch storage box today. I still have to add latches and indoor/outdoor carpet to the top, then it will be complete. Pics follow -

Old 03-02-2012, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I'm jealous of that tire carrier. Mine had that from the factory, I dont know where it went. :/

Nice rig!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Year: 1999

Your 2000 looks just like my 99, and I've got real similar plans (except I'm going with all black wheels/trim/accessories instead of desert khaki). Mine's a camping rig too. Looking forward to watching the build!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:53 PM

Replaced the battery and alternator today after she left me stranded last night ha ha

The process tool about three hours but I could do it in less than an hour now that I know what I'm doing.

It was daunting at first but google, this site, and YouTube really helped!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:19 PM

Year: 1990

Just my 2 cents but if your going to add a overhead console I would strongly recommend getting something in the right year range. it will be way easier having it plug and play instead of trying to splice a bunch of wires together hoping it works.

Great work so far.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Installed a Midland CB radio today. Put a 4" fiberglass antenna on either side of the rear bumper. Mounted them to the caps on the end then tied the tops to the roof rack so they don't sway too much.

For those electrical people out there, tell me what you think of this wiring. I used a t-clamp to join into the red cigarette lighter wire. I then used one of the bolts under the accessories power port as a ground. Seems to work fun although there is some engine interference. Not too bad though. Any problems with this? There is an in-line fuse on the power wire.

Pics tomorrow when it's daylight.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by 2dbatcv
For those electrical people out there, tell me what you think of this wiring. I used a t-clamp to join into the red cigarette lighter wire. I then used one of the bolts under the accessories power port as a ground. Seems to work fun although there is some engine interference. Not too bad though. Any problems with this? There is an in-line fuse on the power wire.
Judging by your description I think you are fine. Got a fuse inline, you're good.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM

I didn't follow the instructions on the antenna kit so today I got to take it all apart and ground the antenna base to the rear bumper.

I can transmit at least 2 miles which I read is average. I can receive from a long way (based on accents?) I dunno how far but seems pretty far based on accents and conversations.

I rewired it into the same power and ground wires as my head unit. I feel like it has a little less interference than when it was on the cigarette lighter and a random bolt.

Last edited by 2dbatcv; 03-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM

Here are some ideas I had for license plates. I want to have a zombie theme but keep it really subtle. Three choices to vote for:

187ZMB
495ZMB (495 stand for their respective letters in the alphabet i.e. DIE ZMB)
103ZMB (103 is police 10 code for dead)

Any votes? Any care? ha ha
Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 2dbatcv
Here are some ideas I had for license plates. I want to have a zombie theme but keep it really subtle. Three choices to vote for:

187ZMB
495ZMB (495 stand for their respective letters in the alphabet i.e. DIE ZMB)
103ZMB (103 is police 10 code for dead)

Any votes? Any care? ha ha
103zmb.. Personal preference at least
Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM

Just a quick pic with the dual antennas.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Changed my Crankshaft Position Sensor today. What a nightmare.

If you need to do this, follow this write-up, it's the bees knees

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/je...-sensor-17310/

However, I had more luck with moving the swivel head to the very tip of the apparatus. My 2 cents.

Also, a good, patient buddy is a necessity in order to guide you onto the bolts. Expect to get filthy!

Quick Reply: Project Camping Buddy