Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Broke As A Joke

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Project: Broke As A Joke

I bought this 97 Sport back in October with 132k on it and I began to tear down my 88 and swap on the stuff over to my 97. This time, I wanted to do things right but do it on a budget.
Here is my old 88....Betsy

Then I swapped the lift over to my 97...

While I was messing around with the lift, I popped the hood only to find this:

The woman who owned it before me obviously had the heater core bypassed because it didn't work......When i bought the jeep, I was so excited that it had AC that I didn't even ask about the heat...It was a cold winter!
Old 07-29-2009, 11:19 PM

Well, after about a month, I needed to lift the rear about an inch so I grabbed a set of rusty's 1" shackles.

Oh yeah, and since I was under there...I threw on some 33's

Then I threw on a Rugged Ridge 1 ton steering setup, which was the biggest mistake of my life. You can also see that the leaf packs didn't last long with the shackle...It's sagging bad in the rear
Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 PM

I upgraded to some Neolite E code glass housing. pretty big difference over stock...still need to do the harness upgrade.

Then I became obsessed with this gray color, so I painted my rockers. Again, you can still tell how bad the rear is sagging in this pic.

I decided that now was the time to regear.... Yukon 4:10's. I know everyone will say I should have went 4:56's but I got a REALLY REALLY good deal on these gears...plus i think it pulls and drives awesome.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:28 PM

Well, now I have 33's and I am regeared...what next?
Long Arms:

Home Made brackets:

Installed: Right now I have a 4 link with adjustable uppers...Not the best setup, but I am working on doing a 3 link.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:34 PM

I then bought some new Leafs after my last pair were destroyed by some drunk idiot that hit me from behind.
So now my jeep sits level finally. 4.5" all the way around.

Also bought a new IRO HD tie rod with new ends. steers great now and the tie rod is no joke.
I also installed my WARN TC skid that has been sitting in my room for months now.

And Finally I found a guy that lives very close to me that does custom bumpers...I had an idea and he made it come to life...I couldn't have asked for a better job.

Next plans are to chill out for a while...I have spent alot of money that I don't have on this thing, but the 3 link mount and arm are still in the works as well as saving for a rear bumper...Im gonna go with a design that I don't think has been done before on a XJ...So we will see.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L Air Intake and TB Spacer

So do you just have lower long arms and stock uppers? are you driving on the streets?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by 94xjstud
So do you just have lower long arms and stock uppers? are you driving on the streets?
Yes. It is the same setup offered by Teraflex. Just using different arms. Been driving it daily for over 3 months.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:01 AM

Year: 1986
Engine: 4-banger

nice haha i like the sticker lol
Old 07-30-2009, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

great lookin jeep man i like it alot
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L Air Intake and TB Spacer

Originally Posted by CorysXJ
Yes. It is the same setup offered by Teraflex. Just using different arms. Been driving it daily for over 3 months.
How does it handle? Got any flex pics?

Looks good BTW.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 94xjstud
How does it handle? Got any flex pics?

Looks good BTW.
It will handle alot better once I get the sway bar connected again. But it drives really well. Very soft ride. The front is alot more soft than the rear, but I think a nice set of some 5150's will solve that.
I guess you could call these flex pics.....I was actually working on the rear, when the jack slipped out from under neath and was lying on the passenger side drum...no damage done, but I did snap a few pics...

Old 07-31-2009, 05:33 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 6 inline 4l

that happened to me once, i almost die but i still here so hahaha it was funny.
i love black xj´s
Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by c_kdna
that happened to me once, i almost die but i still here so hahaha it was funny.
i love black xj´s
Thanks! Yeah It was def. scary. I was right behind it when it started to fall and my first reaction was to put my hands up and try to keep it from falling, which was stupid because there is no way I could have kept it from falling with my hands. I freaked out and started looking around to see if anything broke and said every cuss word in the book.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Ya that's a way clean bumper!!! How long have u had the long arm setup? Has it put much stress on the unibody when flexing???
All around a nice rig!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
Ya that's a way clean bumper!!! How long have u had the long arm setup? Has it put much stress on the unibody when flexing???
All around a nice rig!!!
Thanks, I love the bumper. I just got through re fitting it to make it sit level. I have had the long arms for a little over 3 months. No stress on the unibody as of now. Really shouldn't have to worry about it right now. Whenever I get some rock rails, I;m also going to get some unibody stiffners and weld them up then remount everything.

Thanks for all the compliments...The sad thing is...It isn't even close to the way I see it in my head..although I never thought i would have the things I have so soon.

Quick Reply: Project: Broke As A Joke