Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Blue Jeep" P.N.W XJ Wheeler Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Project "Blue Jeep" P.N.W XJ Wheeler Build

I have recently decided that I read enough build threads and get enough useful info from CF that I should return the favor and create my own build thread. Maybe someone can take something almost half useful from my efforts and failures. First off I must say forgive me if I do something wrong posting or thread placement wise, just tell me and I will try to fix it I am a newbie and this will be my 10th post. Also Im a little late at starting a build thread because ive had this xj for close to a year now. Fortunately I have taken plenty of pictures throughout the project so I think I should be able to piece together previous parts of this build. I hope you guys can help me out and give me suggestions as I go. Now I just have to figure out how to post pictures lol!
Old 06-05-2015, 11:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Last summer I bought a 1995 xj, 4.0, automatic, 4x4, Dana 30 front, 35 rear. When I bought the jeep it had 189,000 miles on it, it now has just over 200,000. It had a 3" rough country lift and bushwhacker flares already installed. BF Goodrich KM1's 32x11.5x15. It also had a JVC deck, kicker speakers and a 12" kicker sub, not the best system but it worked for me since I bought the jeep to be a wheeler and figured id end up drowning the speakers in a mud hole anyways, which I did! So I bought the jeep thinking I would have a slight head start on the build. I'm sure you know what thinking that gets you lol!

Here is the Xj in the previous owners driveway, the day I bought her. This is probably the cleanest you will ever see it being that it used to be basically a street princess. It was mostly used for commuting in Portland and the occasional camping trip, not much dirt down there.

As soon as I got it home I decided to test out the flex as it sat, 3in rc lift with stock arms and stock sway bar setup. The result, not good. That was about all she had plus at that much flex the drivers front tire was trying as hard as it could to rip off the fender flare.

My future plans for this jeep are rather unreasonable considering my $ income but I guess that's apart of the "It's a Jeep Thing" you always here about:

Here is a list of the more reasonable mods coming soon:

-6ish inch short arm lift
-Control arm drop brackets
-ZJ tie rod
-Rough Country adjustable track bar
-Rough country drop pitman arm
-SYE or tcase drop
-Steel front bumper
-Rock sliders
-Steel Rear bumper
-33x12.5's probably Goodyear Wrangler MT's
-Black steel wheels
-Roof rack/basket for spare tire/jack etc...
-Spot lights/ Light bar
-Better radiator
-Dual fan with override switch
-AC compressor on board air
-CB Radio
-rear cargo storage tool drawer
Probably more that's just what comes to mind at the moment.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Seasoned Member

So I was just dreaming around on Craigslist when I came across this. Its an 88 xj, 4.0, auto tranny, 4x4, 3in lift, 33x12.5 Goodyear wrangler mt's (exactly what I wanted), everything it is missing is in the back plus there's 6inch lift springs and blocks hiding back there! It has a ton of extra parts in the back also. It runs ok, smokes a little though. But the tranny, tcase (np231), and axles are in perfect working order. They were asking almost nothing for it so I couldn't pass it up. Now I have a spare for just about anything I break, Plus the beginning of a 6in lift!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:57 PM
Seasoned Member

The first time I wheeled the xj I ripped one of the flares most of the way off so I decided every time I wheel it I will just take the flares off. If it wasn't illegal to have that much rubber stick out in Oregon I would leave it that way because I like the beat up wheeler look better but Ive heard its a big ticket so its not worth it to me. Plus taking them off gets it way dirtier and a dirty jeep is a happy jeep!

Took the flares off!

No officer I actually don't have a headlight out.
The following users liked this post:
Carlos Manuel Davis (06-04-2020)
Old 06-06-2015, 12:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the event because I was a little too upset at the time to think about it but I was just casually driving down the highway doing around 65mph when I suddenly began to death wobble violently. I knew something was wrong because I normally only wobble at 50-55mph and thats just a little bit. Fortunatly I was at my exit so I began to slow down but it just wouldnt go away. At this point I knew something at the passenger side front was definitly broken because it was very obvious. I pulled into a parking lot and as I was turning left into a spot my passenger front tire literally fell off. Long story short a late night of trying to winch it onto the trailer and 5 new wheel studs and lugnuts later I had a fully functional jeep again. I guess the previous owner had torqued the wheel up crooked and eventually it worked its way loose and broke all the wheel studs off. I also found that that was the cause of my death wobble, huh go figure! I have now noticed that the tire that fell off is worn down significantly more than the rest and it is out of round from being bolted on crooked. Lesson of the day, when you buy a new vehicle take all four tires off and check them personally, I didn't and look where that got me! I kept one of the studs so tomorrow I will go out and take picture of it, its pretty impressive.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good man, love seeing other rigs that actually get wheeled!
Old 07-24-2015, 12:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks Ive done a lot more though. I'll try to do an update tomorrow!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright so its been awhile since I've posted any updates so I figure I should. Didn't get a pic of the stud like I said I would because I lost it sorry. Anyways, the build:

So I drove it like it was for awhile because I was caught up with school, then my radiator cracked. So before changing the radiator I decided to flush the system really good, I even used a flushing fluid! After the flush I put a new aluminum radiator in. The install went very smooth, almost too smooth. Here's a few pics, doesn't show it very well but I guess its just proof I did it haha!

While I was at it I changed the Upper and lower hoses and put some fancy new clamps on:

I then proceeded to fill it with coolant and test it out. It worked great and kept it running way cooler but it was leaking from what looked like the engine side fitting of the lower hose. So I got a new hose. It still leaked. So I got another new hose. It still leaked, but this time the hose came weird and deformed at the fitting so I figured that was the problem. So I got a new hose. It still leaked. This time I yelled and screamed and punch the barn, then proceeded to go back to the house and sleep. When I woke up I had a light bulb! What if the hole time it wasn't the hoses and actually the water pump leaking down on the hose. Hmm...go figure it was the water pump. So I got a new one
Old 07-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Seasoned Member

New water pump:

YAY!!!! NO MORE LEAKS!!!!!

So then a few weeks later I was just about to head out with my wheeling group when (at 30ish degrees F.) My temp gauge was showing I was way overheating which I new it wasn't because there was snow on the ground at it had been running for maybe 2mins. So we stopped at the parts store on the way to the trails and I changed it in the parking lot.

Back to normal temperature!

When I bought my other xj it came with a cheaply homemade steel bumper, so I put it on:

Friends make things so much easier

Not the prettiest but it works.

After that I decided I wanted a CB radio but I wanted a nice one not just a little Uniden or Cobra 19. So I got a Cobra 29 lx lcd and I absolutely love it. It has cb, pa, weather, lighted lcd display, and tons of other goodies! I mounted it to the ceiling in between the visors. Barely fit but it works really well. I will warn everyone that wants to mount their cb here, there is a wire loom that runs basically right where you need to drill up into the ceiling. You cant scoot it over without removing the headliner but I will warn you when you poke it with a drill it pops fuses. I popped a fuse and lost my radio, dome lights, etc but that was an easy fix.

I stuck my cigarette lighter in between the roof and the cb to tip it down a little further, I'm sure somebody will wonder why that's there lol.

I used a Firestik fire ring coax, Firestik hood mount bracket, and 5ft fiberglass Firestik antenna. It's a little tall but I like it.

I really need to repaint my hood LOL!

I also added some other gadgets in side, radar detector, GPS, cigarette lighter outlet splitter, hands free blue tooth, and a mess of wires. Now I feel like I'm in a space shuttle with all my crap everywhere lol!

^^^You know you drive a jeep when there's mud splattered on the inside of you windshield!

Oh I also got one of these cup holder thingies awhile back, its awesome!!!

Somewhere along the line I ripped off one of the those little plastic caps on the rear bumper so I took the other one off and fabbed up some end caps out of some 14 gauge. Welded it on, ground my welds flush, and shot it with some satin black spray paint. Looks great, surprised I don't see this on other jeeps often! Once I get some mud flaps it should cover up the ugly hole behind it.

Some time in there a part fell off/ was stolen and I don't know what it looks like if somebody could post a pick of their rear windshield wiper like this picture. I think I'm missing a part off that little tube because my wiper fluid shoots strait back.

I also got a light bar. Its a 50" cree led light bar from stv motorsports and I used farmer Johnson off road brackets but they didn't quite fit a 50 inch I had to flip them around. I haven't wired it up yet because i don't have a relay but I'm so excited!

50" light bar installed

50" light bar

Farmer Johnson offroad light bar brackets

Farmer Johnson offroad light bar brackets

Here are just some pictures I've taken of the jeep here and there:

Messin around with buddies
Old 07-24-2015, 06:06 PM
Seasoned Member

More pics:

Old 07-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Seasoned Member

It's only letting me post one picture per post???
Old 07-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Never mind I guess there was just 2 pictures it wouldn't post but I don't know why.

Ripped my bumper cap off wheelin

Old 07-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Seasoned Member

That's about it for updates. But here are a few things coming up:

I got a curt roof rack and rack extension. Would have built my own but couldn't pass up this deal!

I also got some jcr gutter mount brackets. I'm going to weld those brackets to that steel tube you can see in the picture to make some cheap homemade load bars.

I also took the doors off my other jeep and began making half doors:

And I'm starting to switch to quick detach hinges!

My dad also got a new project for us to work on together, you'll see more of that in the future. One we get a little more work done to it I'll start a build thread. Its a 1968 Jeepster Commando with a cj front end. Its got a fresh rebuilt chevy 350, fresh rebuilt turbo 400 with b&m ratchet shifter, dana 44 front, corp. 14 rear, sparco harness. Its a project but its gunna be a linked and locked and an extremely capable rig when we are through so stay tuned for that!

Just a sneak peak:

Oh and if anyone is curious this is how the rear cargo area looks on my xj. I like to carry everything + the kitchen sink:

I have my 12in sub, 3 tool boxes that are packed full, a tackle box that has gear to catch anything from trout to sturgeon, a fishing pole, floor jack, big breaker bar, big jumper cables, tow strap, chain, air pump, spare fluids, rags, gloves, boots, and a ton of other crap.

Well I guess that's all for now, hope you guys enjoyed so far. I'm open to any suggestions.

Fairly soon I will be doing a 6in lift. I'm going to re make my front bumper. Build a rear bumper. Install my roof rack. Finish my half doors. Then paint it, probably desert tan or od green so stay tuned! Thanks Guys!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Carlos Manuel Davis (06-04-2020)
Old 07-24-2015, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter

Subscribing, Like the way your XJ looks!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks! Glad you like it!

Quick Reply: Project "Blue Jeep" P.N.W XJ Wheeler Build