Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Black Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Starting my own build thread on here. The reason I'm calling it black box is because if I can help it, everything will be black, and the cherokee kinda looks like a box hahaha. It's a 99' Cherokee Sport with 180,XXX miles (runs like a champ). I'm getting into wheeling and I've got to kick it up a notch. I bought this jeep back in january and have been in love ever since. It's my daily driver and I'm ready to take this mother flippin jeep to some real trails instead of just slightly muddy dirt mountain roads. I plan on hitting Rausch Creek here in PA by the end of the summer, so I've got to get a move on.

First thing is first, lift and tires. I've got a set of 5 brand new 33x12.5x15 BFG Mud-Terrains and 5 brand new 15x8 US steelies that have been sitting in my garage waiting for a lift kit. Good news though, lift kit will be here Monday!!!! I'm so pumped. I ordered a 4.5 Rustys kit with full spring packs. Bad news is, I ordered U-bolts for a Dana 35 and turns out I have a Chryco 8.25. Not too mad though cause I know now it has the better option rear axle (I feel more comfortable rebuilding this one in the future). Correct U-bolts are in the mail and should be here sometime next week.

Second, the exhaust. I'm fairly certain (crossing my fingers) that I'm getting a flowmaster Super 44 and tailpipe for my birthday in about 10 days haha. I will match that up with a magnaflow high flow cat and take it all to get installed professionally.

Here are some upgrades I'm going to be working on after the lift, so subscribe! I will be tackling these one at a time in the near future!!

-ZJ tie rod
-Durango steering box swap
-JKS quicker discos and extended brake lines (these are a must!!)
-784 injector swap
-Performance Distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.
-misc. bumpers, flares, roof rack, skid plates, lights, etc.

Here are some pictures of where the jeep is at now, and what I've got going on.
Attached Thumbnails Project Black Box-cherokee-5.jpg   Project Black Box-cherokee-1.jpg   Project Black Box-cherokee-4.jpg   Project Black Box-cherokee-2.jpg   Project Black Box-cherokee-3.jpg  

Last edited by McGeeXJ; 07-22-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 AM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like you have a good plan so far. Man I wish I had those wheels and tires to go on my ride. I just installed a RC 4.5 lift and I am rolling on the 235s still
Old 07-07-2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Slayfan21
Sounds like you have a good plan so far. Man I wish I had those wheels and tires to go on my ride. I just installed a RC 4.5 lift and I am rolling on the 235s still
Yeah I figured I would end up doing that myself, so I bought the wheels and tires first. I figured it would be a good idea to get the most expensive part out of the way first. Besides this thing is due for new shoes, it wouldn't be so bad of what I have had decent tread left.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: Straight 6

what is the advantage of the ZJ trac bar?
Old 07-07-2013, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice xj. A
Old 07-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by DDfammobile
what is the advantage of the ZJ trac bar?
A zj track bar is much beefier. It's a little bit thicker and it's a solid piece of metal. As opposed to the xj's hollow track bar.

The new track bar matched with the durango steering box will handle my larger tires with much more ease.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Nice xj. A
Thanks man
Old 07-07-2013, 04:23 PM

Year: 1994

Looks good man, i love the murdered out look
Old 07-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by cliffdiver96
Looks good man, i love the murdered out look
Thanks dude, if I can help it I'm gonna replace the passenger doors ( the previous owner must have gotten side swiped or something) then I'll turn my garage into a mini paint booth and paint the whole jeep matte black.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by McGeeXJ
A zj track bar is much beefier. It's a little bit thicker and it's a solid piece of metal. As opposed to the xj's hollow track bar.

The new track bar matched with the durango steering box will handle my larger tires with much more ease.

umm... silly question.. your referring to a Dodge durango right? or is the sb brand called durango... this question has haunted my dreams for months!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by offroad bandit

umm... silly question.. your referring to a Dodge durango right? or is the sb brand called durango... this question has haunted my dreams for months!
Yeah I'm referring to the dodge durango. The steering box's of durango's and cherokee's of similar years are almost identical. The mounting pattern is the same, but the cylinder of the durango's is bigger and overall is stronger. If I was writing this on my computer instead of phone I'd send you a link to a real good write up. Just search durango steering box swap on this site.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:19 PM

Year: 2001

oh cool, thanks! good luck on the build! cant wait to see the 33's mounted under this bad boy!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM

So today I removed my rear sway bar and stock bump stops (which were almost non-existent). Now my rear end sags just a hair, oh well those springs won't be there for long. I also cleaned up most of the mud on the under carriage and started pb blasting most of the bolts for the lift. Should be here tomorrow!!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 AM

Year: 95

I am pretty sure that you are talking about using a ZJ Tierod and not the Trackbar or Draglink

Draglinks are the same from my research and I dont even think the trackbar would do anything for you any way since you gonna want a aftermarket adjustable one anyways

You want a tierod from a V8 ZJ I thinks
Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Slayfan21
I am pretty sure that you are talking about using a ZJ Tierod and not the Trackbar or Draglink

Draglinks are the same from my research and I dont even think the trackbar would do anything for you any way since you gonna want a aftermarket adjustable one anyways

You want a tierod from a V8 ZJ I thinks
Yeah you're right, I keep calling it a track bar. I do mean tie rod though. Damn haha. Thanks for the catch.

Quick Reply: Project Black Box