Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project black 88 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Project black 88 XJ

Got my XJ about two weeks ago, and ive been slowly working on fixing it, between school, work, and money issues, it's going to take a while until it's completely finished. Here are the problems i faced with it when i got it, and what ive done already:

- ran rough, if it ran at all. put a new fuel filter in it, and it cleared some of the symptoms, so i replaced the plugs and wires and it helped more, but it still idles rough (it goes to stall then revs back up).
- i have no rear bumper, well, i have the bumper but its laying on the ground besides it, and i dont have the plastic pieces that go on the sides of the bumper, so i figured ill just make one to make it more mine and to make it stand out (some links to bumper builds would be AWESOME)
- radio didnt work, so i removed it and just wired in the new radio in but of course messed something up so it doesnt get power while the key is off so all my presets and the clock dont stay programmed.
- it currently doesn't have a tachometer, and being a first time driver, driving a stick none the less, id like to have one so just today i went and got a instrument panel from an 89 XJ sport, so im going to try to hook that all up this weekend, should things not work out, ill just buy an after market tach.
- i need to make a mount for the spare tire on the roof because i dont have any room for a tire in the back because of the toolbox i have for it.
- i need to bolt up a tow package that i have for it.
- brake lines need to be fixed, we drove it home with no rear brakes, it was an interesting ride home to say the least, luckily it was only across town.
- i need to replace the door locks and ignition
- going to put better speakers and maybe a sub in it for a sound system, instead of the stock speakers and marine speakers that are in it now.
- apparently when it gets cold out it's hard to get into second gear because the synchros are bad, luckily i have another trans lined up if i need it.
- the exhaust is screwed up because where the exhaust pipe coming from the motor meets the catalytic converter is all rotted out and i havent decide if im going to leave it as is, or cut out the cat or get a new exhaust from a parts jeep i have.

the plans for my XJ are uncertain as of now, after i drive it for a month or two, im going to evaluate it and decide if i want to lift it and make it into a weekend wheeler. i would love to, but i dont know if the body, motor, and trans can handle it though.

so all in all, if anyone knows how to fix anything listed, or has ideas i should try, or any warnings for me, let me know, it would be much appreciated.

pictures:

you can see how much room is in the back with the tool box and speakers in there while the back seat is up. also, notice the bumper, and the lack of one.

worlds largest fuel gauge, i hate that damn thing....

Old 11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

I think you should invest in a full gage cluster that way you can keep a better eye on her. You ken pick them up cheep at a junk yard. And I like watching my RPMs. In 4L they can get up there pretty far.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by brutalxj
I think you should invest in a full gage cluster that way you can keep a better eye on her. You ken pick them up cheep at a junk yard. And I like watching my RPMs. In 4L they can get up there pretty far.
i picked a full cluster up from a junkyard today, one with a tach and a normal sized fuel gauge. im going to put it in this weekend and see if it works.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I like the subs on a stock radio!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyGraham
I like the subs on a stock radio!
ahaha, they arent hooked up, thats waiting until i get an amp, but i have an aftermarket radio in it already, just dont have an updated pic with it in it.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:43 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5 low output

Originally Posted by juice12292
i picked a full cluster up from a junkyard today, one with a tach and a normal sized fuel gauge. im going to put it in this weekend and see if it works.
If you didnt already grab them make sure you get the temperature and oil pressure sending units from the donor jeep so all your gauges work.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Nice. From a fellow Renix rig owner, I might suggest putting money aside now, saving up, and buying a new open style radiator down the line. If yours isn't overheating now, great. Just be prepared for when it does.

Great lookin XJ!!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by onebigmj
If you didnt already grab them make sure you get the temperature and oil pressure sending units from the donor jeep so all your gauges work.
i didnt need to, all the gauges worked without the donor sensors.

Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle
Nice. From a fellow Renix rig owner, I might suggest putting money aside now, saving up, and buying a new open style radiator down the line. If yours isn't overheating now, great. Just be prepared for when it does.

Great lookin XJ!!
i actually have a second fan on a toggle switch for that, and it works quite well.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7L

if you haven't figured it out already your problem with your stereo is your memory wire, just pull it back out and check out the schematic there should be a wire for memory and that should be your culprit,
Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by n_csmith
if you haven't figured it out already your problem with your stereo is your memory wire, just pull it back out and check out the schematic there should be a wire for memory and that should be your culprit,
thank you, ill have to try that today
Old 11-21-2010, 11:35 AM

here's a picture of the new gauge cluster

Old 11-21-2010, 11:50 AM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

very nice, keep it up
Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 AM

here's an update about what's been going on, ive fixed the brake line, and the radio, although the radio is just kinda ghetto rigged in there, meaning it doesnt shut off unless the keys off or i take the faceplate off, no big deal to me.

but here's where i need some help, my XJ MUST have been rear ended before, i never really bothered to think about it until now considering im trying to fix my bumper issue, but what gave it away is that my XJ is a pioneer, and from what i understand it should have a chrome back bumper too, but i was given a black one with the jeep and was told that that was the one that came off of it, whatever, but when i looked at the brackets that mount the bumper, it looks like it's been caved in and when i tried taking the bolts holding the brackets on they wouldn't come off, probably because the accident bent the bolts or something.

so can anyone think of a way i can get/build a bumper (temporary is fine) just so i can get it on the road?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:33 PM

weld something on.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by PJsJeep
weld something on.
i would but i currently dont have access to a welder at my house, im hoping to buy one soon, but until then, thats out of the question.