Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Possible Electrical Problem

Hi,

I'm hoping someone will have some ideas on what the cause of a problem I'm beginning to experience with my '96 jeep cherokee.

Lately, (I'd say over the last month) my jeep has been rather slow to catch on the start. It's not as though the battery is low and it's having trouble cranking, it just seems to take a second or two longer to catch. Over the last few days I've noticed it more often, and I'm not sure if the weather has to do with it, though I've never had this issue before (I'm in KS where we've have triple digits after triple digits daily).

I've had the car since '05 and over the last two/three years on the rare occasion I'd notice as I would start accelerating down the street after starting the jeep that it would almost seem to stall for a second or two before the RMPs would catch back up with the gas pedal and the engine would essentially take off. Again, lately I've noticed this happening more and more, which leads me to think I may have an electrical problem somewhere. I had been having battery cable problems - they were always getting loose no matter what I did, but a family friend cut off the old stripped bolts and put on new ones and I haven't had problems with loosening cables so far.

For a while I thought it may be a battery going bad, because when I would drive with my air conditioner on, the battery reading would drop from it's normal reading to reading at the mark right above the redline (which I think is 9 if memory serves). Same thing would happen when I dive at night with headlights on, though the gauge doesn't drop as low. Once, with the AC on and my CD player playing, the AC and radio cut out all together as though I lost all power before it kicked on a split second later.

I cleaned the cables to the starter a few months ago after I changed my oil, but I'm wondering what areas could cause this and if anyone can point me in a direction to look about getting it fixed. My dad's a car guy and would normally tinker around with it, but we live 10 hours away and living in rural Kansas, I need my car to get around.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jennifer