Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oneway's XJ Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Oneway's XJ Build

Hello to all,

This is my first post. I must say, I've been coming here frequently for awhile. I always just lurked and gleaned the info I needed while contributing nothing. No more. I just registered tonight and this is going to be my build page. I want to send out a thankyou for all the useful information you all have gathered and supplied here. It has been endless entertainment and help for me. My XJ was previously my wifes DD and I liked it, but was not greatly interested in it. I inherited it when she downgraded to a Pilot. The infection began. Since the XJ took me over as it's DD, I've put in new headlights, new brake pads, radiator, front LCA bushings, OEM rear springs, Skyjacker rear shocks, huskyliners, and tow hooks. I did the DIY tranny flush (all 8qts) with filter, seafoamed the motor, and fixed driver side speaker connection. I also got a free HiLift jack. It was a rusty thing. I refurbished it and in combination w/ the tow hooks got a simple recovery system in order.

My build will most likely trend towards the milder side. I've noticed in life, the closer to extreme you go in any arena costs you exponentially more time, money and pain. I appreciate the pioneering individuals who go all the way.

I want a rugged over built reliable XJ w/ mild improvements to the factory weakpoints. I am undecided on total lift and tire size currently, but will eventually get both. Currently it rides at stock height w/ very worn stock tires. I've been attacking important maintenance and functionality issues so far. Now I have rocker rails to put on it and will do so very soon. I also intend to get a locker eventually.

Any advice and comments are welcome. Thanks for you interest in my XJ!

Last edited by Oneway; 02-24-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: photos
Old 02-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0HO

Welcome, and
Old 02-24-2010, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Welcome. I make a trek out to AR a few times a year to wheel Disney with my brother who lives a few hours north of you in Fayetteville.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:14 PM

More pics of hilift, engine, etc.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 PM

Default NewTires

I got some BFG All Terrains and went to Superlift ORV Park in Hot Springs, AR with a group of friends and family. My XJ is stock in every way except tires. Every one in the group was blown away at its capability including myself. As you may well know, pictures many times fail to accurately convey the steep grade you are traveling. We went up some steep stuff. It was truly fantastic. The last picture is Twin Hills East at the Superlift ORV park in section A. It was steep and long. I was on the easier portion, but still impressive for a stock XJ. Enjoy.Name:  HotSprings_Downclearance.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  HSORVsteep.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  98.2 KB

Last edited by Oneway; 03-15-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Update

It's been awhile since I updated anything on this. Like almost 3 years. 3 years of visiting cherokeeforum. Sorry it's been so long. I'm a reader more than anything. Truth be told it tend to visit this sight more than any other cherokee sight.

I lifted the XJ w/ Old Man Emu 3" SuperUltimate lift from DPGoffroad. Put in an AA SYE, Tom Woods Shaft, Aussie locker, JKS adjustable UCA, LCA, trackbar, JKS quicker disconnects, Amsoil bypass oil filtration system, PowerTank mounted, fire extinguisher, Treadwright retread tires (excellent by the way), Rusty's rock rails were mounted which were troublesome, but worth it. I mounted a T-case skid.

My XJ clunks like a son of a gun in the front. It seems to be coming from the UCA/LCA somewhere. I've given up worrying too much.

Someday I would like to regear and go to selectable lockers front and rear, winch and bumper, but am pleased for now. I also need a gas tank skid.
Attached Thumbnails Oneway's XJ Build-cherokeeflex.jpg  

Last edited by Oneway; 01-25-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: poor grammar