Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cherokee Owner, needs advice on how to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New Cherokee Owner, needs advice on how to start

Hey guys.
This is my first post here. Just bought a 96 cherokee, 4.0L automatic. Ive been a honda tech since 2003, but have very little experience outside of the honda dealer ship. Just kinda wondering on how to get started on this build? I bought this truck to be a snow vehicle/ mild off roading. I saw a post on how to cut out the rocker panels and weld in box steel, so that is pretty high on my priority list, as the rocker panel on the right side has cancer. Is there anything else I should consider first? Diff lockers? Locking hubs? I would eventually like to lift the truck 3" to start with and keep going from there. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions... Thanks for all the help guys. This looks like an awesome site.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 AM

bump
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Fix what needs to be fixed first. Do a complete tune up (diff fluids, tranny fluid, oil, etc) then start your build. I started out with a 3" kit and then worked my way from there to tires, lockers, lifting more, etc. It all just boils down to what you want to do with it.

Also, this should be in the Chat section
Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 PM

Engine: i6 4.0L High Output

What do you feel like you need right now? Take care of that first. Decide what lift and tires meet your needs and budget, go with those. From there, add on everything that catches your eye
Old 07-27-2011, 12:09 AM

Very cool. Ya, I basically plan to just drain everything, and fill with synthetics (royal purple). The exhaust manifold is cracked which i understand is a common problem. There appear to be some better constructed manifolds on ebay, so i will be ordering one of them in the next day or two. Over all, truck is in good shape. I'd like to start with a lift first then. Is there a particular brand or package lift that people generally use? I also intend to completely replace the front end parts. Track bar to an adjustable? new tie rods, steering stabilizer, etc... are there any pre put together packages available for these type of things?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:55 AM

Year: 1987
Talking

Adjustable part's are Really nice to have if you got over a 4 inch of a lift.
Bottom line.. As for part's mines on a budge lift right now too. Slowly rebuilding it but. Rough country has a nice lift kit. i hear ebay is one of the best area's too get lift part's too.
:]
Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Rough Country has pretty good affordable kits. As far as tierods and other steering components go, there are upgrade kits that will give stronger parts. Look at rustysoffroad.com The offer a few different upgrades for steering. There are many more manufactures for steering components but right now im still asleep at work and cant think of any haha