Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Neglected 1989 pioneer

Old 06-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Neglected 1989 pioneer

My sister drove this thing for years doing almost nothing to it, missing oil changes even. She decided to move out of state so she gave it to me for free.

It needed some definate catch up on the maintnence. I replaced all 4 shocks with kyb's, new upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, tune up, valve cover gasket, oil change, trans service w/ filter, fuel induction service and rebuilt the steering column ( tilt portion was jacked and the turn signal switch was missing the canceling springs.)
sorry no pics of any of those repairs.
but as you can see the tires were my next project and since I am broke as hell i had to try to find a used set. So after putting the word out with some of my friends and family memebers my uncle scored me a decent set of 31's.
!! What a great excuse to cut the fenders!!

took the stock flares off and taped the are i would be cutting on the fronts.

used the old flares as a template and ZIP ZIP it was cut

on the rear i marked out a line to cut my relief cuts to and then pounded the seam up. I was extra careful to avoid the pinch welds

went down on my lunch break and got the 31 1050's put on the jeep

Now it is starting to look less like a college girls car and more like a freakin jeep!

The only clearance issue right now that i have is when turning the steering wheel either direction to lock it slightly rubs the sway bar. Looks like i have an excuse to keep putting some cash in to this thing!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Then yesterday in the rain my fuel pump decided to not shut off even with the relay pulled. After a little diggin around found that the wire harness that runs in front of the radiator had rubbed through on the fender support bracket.

seperated loom and repaired a total of 12 wires.

all fixed and as a result my 4wd light went out and my rear defrost is now operational woot!!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

Nice xj pioneer! Whats your plans for her?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 AM

nice work, I really like those wheels
Old 06-30-2011, 10:04 AM

Heading to the junk yard this weekend. They are having a 50% off sale. Gunna see if I can get some better seats. These ones have seen better days and my wife keeps complaining that they are uncomfortable. I was also told that last week there were 2 cherokees out there that are lifted sooo who knows. This is going to be a very slow build due to my wife being prego with a baby girl, due in less than two months. I'll post an update though with what i get from the yard and install.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

Those 31"s look good with some trimage. Looks like those rear springs have negative support. How does it ride with the newer rubber? Does the front rub at all when turning?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Yeah rear leafs are beyond shot. They are on my list of things. 31's only rub when wheel is all the way left or right on the sway bar and it is very minimal. No rub flexing with sway bar connected but I'm sure it will if I was to disconnect it. It will have to do for now till i get some mulah for a lift.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:26 PM

List for the yard this weekend.
- seats
- drivers side mirror
- leaf springs
- or possibly front and rear springs off of a lifted xj. rumor has it there is two of them out there right now, so we will see.
-and a rear wiper motor (this is last last last on the list)

Oh and getting a new heater core, tail gate lift supports and the r134a update kit for the ac system from my parts supplier.