Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with 88 build suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need help with 88 build suggestions

I bought an 88 4.0 inline 6 manual trans ba/10. The car was pretty beat up on the outside and not taken very good care of by the weirdo who had it before me. It ran/runs and everything works now, I just had some small fixes I needed to do when I first got it to get it running good enough to be a daily driver. Now I want to slowly start building this thing back to great shape. I don't really know much about off-roading cars except basic concepts and I have good mechanical skills. With that being said, I need dummy answers to my questions please. Right now with a decent load in the car and all freeway miles I average about 22 mpg. My eventual goal is to be off-road capable and soft sand capable but maintaining that decent mpg. I like to go to baja to surf and fish so my off-roading won't be crazy and i don't plan on rock climbing/mudding. I am basically looking to have decent gas mileage(anyone who has done baja knows gas can be few and far between) but be off road ready because baja isn't known for it's nice roads or accessible beaches.

So... the first thing I would like to do is steering and brake upgrades. I want to eventually put a 2 or 3 inch lift on it but i'm not really sure how high that would put the car because i don't plan on having giant tires on it. After that any good engine upgrades to make it more reliable on those long hot summer trips through the baja desert. Any help on what lifts or steering components or any general upgrades that would make the car stronger and more reliable but good on gas also would be appreciated. Like I said I am NOT looking to make this a giant rock climbing/mudding machine but rather a strong and modest baja car that gets somewhat decent mpg and can get me to the places others can't. Also I am more interested in performance than looks so any bright colors or "cool looking" adds are not my top priority. Thanks for any help. -Luke
Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Well the first things u should do is find cruisers tips on the renix engines... do them all, it will help all ur grounds and any electrical problems... afterwards I'm pretty sure u have the same brake booster as me, upgrade that... it'll help...