Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

my 98 xj

Old 06-17-2011, 05:01 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default my 98 xj

Bought this a few months ago completely stock, my first 4x4 so i started small on the upgrades, i live in fl so there not to much "real" wheeling to do, at least in my area... since i have blacked out the windows, removed all exterior molding, cut/rolled the fenders and trimmed with rhino liner, 2" pro comp lift and new shocks, dakota difinity 31's on wrangler rims (still need to be polished up), 40 series flowmaster, thunder hiflow cat, and roof rack... had to paint the hood since the paint was destroyed and went black, if i can match the red i will be repainting it back..

would have liked to lift a little more but was on a budget, but the 2" lift with fenders cut i have a decent amount of clearance...

Dont have "build" pics but i do have before and afters... next on the list will be snorkel steel bumpers... lmk what everyone thinks..

day one


now









Last edited by xtr98xj; 06-17-2011 at 08:32 PM.
xtr98xj is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 05:07 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
Jeepxj1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 1,843
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default

Looks good same year color trim as mine lol. Is that 4.5" or just 3 with trimmed fenders?
Jeepxj1234 is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234 View Post
Looks good same year color trim as mine lol. Is that 4.5" or just 3 with trimmed fenders?
2" lift with cut fenders...
xtr98xj is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Paddletrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 cyl.
Default

I really like the way that 2" lift looks. I wonder if that would work with those flat Bushwhacker fender flares?? Really nice. Great job on the fenders in my totally ignorant newbie opinion.
Paddletrucker is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM
  #5  
Newbie
 
Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Etown, Kentucky
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Nice. Thats about how I want mine to sit eventually, I just need to save up for a set of 31s.
Viper is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 06:08 PM
  #6  
CF Veteran
 
Jeepxj1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 1,843
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default

Originally Posted by xtr98xj

2" lift with cut fenders...
Huh.. Looks like more than that. Well good work.
Jeepxj1234 is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by Viper View Post
Nice. Thats about how I want mine to sit eventually, I just need to save up for a set of 31s.
I picked the 31's up at pepboys for 113 each, they are discontinued so they sold them for bottom price to get them out... they still get them in from time to time in my area, going to get 1 more for a spare when/if they get a few more in. very nice tires so far, very smooth ride and have a nice aggressive tread...


Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234 View Post
Huh.. Looks like more than that. Well good work.
thats what everyone tells me, good thing i guess, my friends xj has a 3" lift and at the wheels and fender height mine looks the same (he has the factory flairs still), cutting the fenders made a huge difference..
xtr98xj is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 775
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Just cutting the fenders alone I think is what makes it look better. I think it looks great for being on a budget man. Good eye on things. Mods are tasteful.
Which 2" lift did you go with? Get that rear locked. Powertrax is a cheap and killer locker. You got the Chrysler 8.25 or turdy5?
If and when your lookin for parts. Check out the vendors section on the forum. Prices are way less and for the most part your supporting indie business.
FrankZ has a great page. www.seriousoffroadproducts.com
I just got motor mounts from IronMan. Great stuff.
Frame stiffeners are a worlds of difference too.
ruffstuff makes the best dif covers. And gives CF discount.
There are some great fab guys on here to. You can score bumper(s) for 300 bones shipped.
07Negative is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 PM
  #9  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by 07Negative View Post
Just cutting the fenders alone I think is what makes it look better. I think it looks great for being on a budget man. Good eye on things. Mods are tasteful.
Which 2" lift did you go with? Get that rear locked. Powertrax is a cheap and killer locker. You got the Chrysler 8.25 or turdy5?
If and when your lookin for parts. Check out the vendors section on the forum. Prices are way less and for the most part your supporting indie business.
FrankZ has a great page. www.seriousoffroadproducts.com
I just got motor mounts from IronMan. Great stuff.
Frame stiffeners are a worlds of difference too.
ruffstuff makes the best dif covers. And gives CF discount.
There are some great fab guys on here to. You can score bumper(s) for 300 bones shipped.
thanks for the info! the kit is a pro comp spacer and add a leaf kit for 80 bucks on ebay, forget the name of the composite but there not poly spacers so they should never sag... my build sheet said i have a 8.25 chrysler... the compliments are defiantly appreciated...

total investment for nearly everything ive bought for it is around 1000 give or take, all the labor was done by me and my friend, defiantly a budget jeep, glad everyone seems to like it...
xtr98xj is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 09:47 PM
  #10  
CF Veteran
 
Jeepxj1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 1,843
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default

Wow I didn't even read it all you said that it was a 2" lift haha sorry I'm dumb but yeah definanly good work on the budget. And how did you rhino line the sides of it? Just tape off prime and spray away? I'm thinking about doing it to mine.
Jeepxj1234 is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 10:01 PM
  #11  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234 View Post
Wow I didn't even read it all you said that it was a 2" lift haha sorry I'm dumb but yeah definanly good work on the budget. And how did you rhino line the sides of it? Just tape off prime and spray away? I'm thinking about doing it to mine.
pretty much lol... masked everything off made everything as straight as possible and, sand, primer, used advanced auto parts rhino liner in a can... worked surprisingly well, lays on smooth...
xtr98xj is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 PM
  #12  
CF Veteran
 
Jeepxj1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 1,843
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default

Originally Posted by xtr98xj

pretty much lol... masked everything off made everything as straight as possible and, sand, primer, used advanced auto parts rhino liner in a can... worked surprisingly well, lays on smooth...
Nice thanks! Oh and you haven't had any chipping or anything have you?
Jeepxj1234 is offline  
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 PM
  #13  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234 View Post
Nice thanks! Oh and you haven't had any chipping or anything have you?
none at all, we sanded and primerd it really good but the stuff seems to stick to anything it touches, defiantly don't want over spray...
xtr98xj is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 06:57 AM
  #14  
CF Veteran
 
Jeepxj1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 1,843
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default

Originally Posted by xtr98xj

none at all, we sanded and primerd it really good but the stuff seems to stick to anything it touches, defiantly don't want over spray...
Alright cool thanks again for the info. Good luck with the build!
Jeepxj1234 is offline  
Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 AM
  #15  
Member
 
sm99eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 142
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default

Originally Posted by 07Negative View Post
Just cutting the fenders alone I think is what makes it look better. I think it looks great for being on a budget man. Good eye on things. Mods are tasteful.
Which 2" lift did you go with? Get that rear locked. Powertrax is a cheap and killer locker. You got the Chrysler 8.25 or turdy5?
If and when your lookin for parts. Check out the vendors section on the forum. Prices are way less and for the most part your supporting indie business.
FrankZ has a great page. www.seriousoffroadproducts.com
I just got motor mounts from IronMan. Great stuff.
Frame stiffeners are a worlds of difference too.
ruffstuff makes the best dif covers. And gives CF discount.
There are some great fab guys on here to. You can score bumper(s) for 300 bones shipped.
Look up XJPRO, he is on here and he makes great front and rear bumpers for dirt cheap, Great budget build man. I normally dont like flareless but you pull it off
sm99eagle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: