Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 98 xj

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default my 98 xj

Bought this a few months ago completely stock, my first 4x4 so i started small on the upgrades, i live in fl so there not to much "real" wheeling to do, at least in my area... since i have blacked out the windows, removed all exterior molding, cut/rolled the fenders and trimmed with rhino liner, 2" pro comp lift and new shocks, dakota difinity 31's on wrangler rims (still need to be polished up), 40 series flowmaster, thunder hiflow cat, and roof rack... had to paint the hood since the paint was destroyed and went black, if i can match the red i will be repainting it back..

would have liked to lift a little more but was on a budget, but the 2" lift with fenders cut i have a decent amount of clearance...

Dont have "build" pics but i do have before and afters... next on the list will be snorkel steel bumpers... lmk what everyone thinks..

day one

now

Last edited by xtr98xj; 06-17-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Looks good same year color trim as mine lol. Is that 4.5" or just 3 with trimmed fenders?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
Looks good same year color trim as mine lol. Is that 4.5" or just 3 with trimmed fenders?
2" lift with cut fenders...
Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 PM

Engine: 4.0 inline 6 cyl.

I really like the way that 2" lift looks. I wonder if that would work with those flat Bushwhacker fender flares?? Really nice. Great job on the fenders in my totally ignorant newbie opinion.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

Nice. Thats about how I want mine to sit eventually, I just need to save up for a set of 31s.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xtr98xj

2" lift with cut fenders...
Huh.. Looks like more than that. Well good work.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Viper
Nice. Thats about how I want mine to sit eventually, I just need to save up for a set of 31s.
I picked the 31's up at pepboys for 113 each, they are discontinued so they sold them for bottom price to get them out... they still get them in from time to time in my area, going to get 1 more for a spare when/if they get a few more in. very nice tires so far, very smooth ride and have a nice aggressive tread...

Huh.. Looks like more than that. Well good work.
thats what everyone tells me, good thing i guess, my friends xj has a 3" lift and at the wheels and fender height mine looks the same (he has the factory flairs still), cutting the fenders made a huge difference..
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned

Just cutting the fenders alone I think is what makes it look better. I think it looks great for being on a budget man. Good eye on things. Mods are tasteful.
Which 2" lift did you go with? Get that rear locked. Powertrax is a cheap and killer locker. You got the Chrysler 8.25 or turdy5?
If and when your lookin for parts. Check out the vendors section on the forum. Prices are way less and for the most part your supporting indie business.
FrankZ has a great page. www.seriousoffroadproducts.com
I just got motor mounts from IronMan. Great stuff.
Frame stiffeners are a worlds of difference too.
ruffstuff makes the best dif covers. And gives CF discount.
There are some great fab guys on here to. You can score bumper(s) for 300 bones shipped.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 07Negative
Just cutting the fenders alone I think is what makes it look better. I think it looks great for being on a budget man. Good eye on things. Mods are tasteful.
Which 2" lift did you go with? Get that rear locked. Powertrax is a cheap and killer locker. You got the Chrysler 8.25 or turdy5?
If and when your lookin for parts. Check out the vendors section on the forum. Prices are way less and for the most part your supporting indie business.
There are some great fab guys on here to. You can score bumper(s) for 300 bones shipped.
thanks for the info! the kit is a pro comp spacer and add a leaf kit for 80 bucks on ebay, forget the name of the composite but there not poly spacers so they should never sag... my build sheet said i have a 8.25 chrysler... the compliments are defiantly appreciated...

total investment for nearly everything ive bought for it is around 1000 give or take, all the labor was done by me and my friend, defiantly a budget jeep, glad everyone seems to like it...
Old 06-17-2011, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Wow I didn't even read it all you said that it was a 2" lift haha sorry I'm dumb but yeah definanly good work on the budget. And how did you rhino line the sides of it? Just tape off prime and spray away? I'm thinking about doing it to mine.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Wow I didn't even read it all you said that it was a 2" lift haha sorry I'm dumb but yeah definanly good work on the budget. And how did you rhino line the sides of it? Just tape off prime and spray away? I'm thinking about doing it to mine.
pretty much lol... masked everything off made everything as straight as possible and, sand, primer, used advanced auto parts rhino liner in a can... worked surprisingly well, lays on smooth...
Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

pretty much lol... masked everything off made everything as straight as possible and, sand, primer, used advanced auto parts rhino liner in a can... worked surprisingly well, lays on smooth...
Nice thanks! Oh and you haven't had any chipping or anything have you?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 PM

Nice thanks! Oh and you haven't had any chipping or anything have you?
none at all, we sanded and primerd it really good but the stuff seems to stick to anything it touches, defiantly don't want over spray...
Old 06-18-2011, 06:57 AM
CF Veteran

none at all, we sanded and primerd it really good but the stuff seems to stick to anything it touches, defiantly don't want over spray...
Alright cool thanks again for the info. Good luck with the build!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 07Negative
Look up XJPRO, he is on here and he makes great front and rear bumpers for dirt cheap, Great budget build man. I normally dont like flareless but you pull it off