Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '88 Pioneer Project "Great '88"

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '88 Pioneer
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default My '88 Pioneer Project "Great '88"

Well I am going to start my first build thread. I have been on this site quite a bit the last year or so. I really appreciate all the information that you all have posted!

This is my 4th XJ and really my first big project. I have had a '94 and an '01 in the past. I currently have a '99 as my DD and just picked up this '88. I bought it off ebay and had it shipped up to MI. First off I was a little worried about buying a vehicle without seeing or driving it first, but for $1580 I was going to take the chance. I spoke with the owner prior to bidding on it and he told me that the paint was fading and the passenger window motor was broken, but that there was no rust on the vehicle. The engine had been replaced 17,000 miles ago with a rebuilt unit and the trans had been rebuilt at the same time. It also came with a 3" RC lift!

When the vehicle arrived I was at work and my wife texted me telling me that I have my work cut out for me and that this is going to be my new hobby (Not good first impressions!!!).

So...when I got home I immediately started looking it over. Appart from the fading paint I was very impressed with the body. The PO was right, there is NO RUST anywhere and the body is very straight! To some of you from the south this may not seem very special, but to someone from the north it is very cool! You can almost see things rusting before your eyes during a winter up here!

The interior was just okay and it is something that I can start to fix up. The first time I sat down in the drivers seat and grabbed ahold of the steering wheel, the wheel started wobbling all over the place. I think the first repair is in order before I drive this thing anywhere. I then grabbed the key and tried to start it (my wife warned me that the key does not go in all the way and it is a little tricky to start). After 5 minutes of trying to get the key turned I yelled for her. She then came out and started it in 10 seconds. Great...my wife is already better at this than I am!!!! It started a little rough and was a little loud. After further inspections of the exhaust it has a newer exhaust with what looks to be a glass pack on it. I am not really sure though.

Something of the things I am planning on doing to it:

1) Fix steering wheel
2) Install rear should belts (my kids safety comes first!)
3) Fix pass door window
4) New bumpers
5) New tires
6) New paint
7) work on the interior (seats, door panels, center console from late 2nd gen)
8) There will probably be more things that come up along the way

Well, I need to get working on this thing. Hopefully you enjoy the build. It will probably go kind of slow, but it will be fun! I look forward to getting help from you guys along the way!
Attached Thumbnails My '88 Pioneer Project "Great '88"-88-cherokee-pioneer-001.jpg   My '88 Pioneer Project "Great '88"-88-cherokee-pioneer-002.jpg   My '88 Pioneer Project "Great '88"-88-cherokee-pioneer-003.jpg   My '88 Pioneer Project "Great '88"-88-cherokee-pioneer-004.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Looks good! Love the wheels. A great buy IMO
Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 PM

Thanks Bud!

Originally Posted by N8-96XJ
Looks good! Love the wheels. A great buy IMO
Old 11-21-2010, 05:07 PM

My first project that I tackled was the steering column. I searched CF for insight and came across this write up on how to fix a wobbling steering wheel.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/st...repairs-39494/

It is very good and I followed it completely. After it was all torn apart I found out it was not the 4 bolts that were loose it was something internally broken.

I searched the forums and craigslist and found someone parting out a '94 cherokee. After driving over a half hour I pulled into his driveway to find out that he had a Grand Cherokee and he didn't know the difference!

Back to the forums and craigslist I went! I found another guy parting out a 94 Cherokee. Before driving the distance I made sure it was an XJ because this guy lived over an hour from me.

I grabbed the steering column and rear seat belts (plus a lot of the rear trim) from him for $80. I thought it was a good deal! The only thing is my old column had tilt and new one doesn't. Not really that big of a deal.

When I got home I immediately started taking the old column out and installing the new one. It was fairly easy and the first project is done!! Now all I have to do is center the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails My '88 Pioneer Project "Great '88"-88-interior-001.jpg  

Last edited by Easyduzit; 11-21-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:20 AM

A couple of road blocks that I discovered last night. Some good...Some bad.

After installing the steering column I took it for a short drive. The Steering was very sloppy. I could turn the wheel a qtr of a turn and the front wheels would not move. It was getting late in the night and I decided to leave it for the next day.

Last night I drove it over to my buddy's. I need to figure out what was wrong. He took it for a drive and immediately turned around. When we go back we realized that the upper track bar nut was extremely loose!! The PO did not even tighten it. Pretty dangerous. Once tightened the steering was 100% better, but not perfect. The good news is that it gives me an excuse to get a new (better) track bar.

A few other issues we found are:
- Needs a new pitman arm bushing
- Steering box is leaking
- Water pump is making all kinds of noise

On a good note....I did order a JCR stage 4 front bumper yesterday!!

I will provide some more pics shortly when I get more work done.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

Nice little project you got there. Looking forward to following this thread
Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM

Spent a bit of time tonight diagnosing an bad noise coming from the front of the engine. I was hoping it was nothing internal. I did the old "put the screwdriver to your ear" test. GOOD NEWS...It was very loud when I put it on the water pump.

I removed the belt and it feels like the bearing is shot in the pump.

**Note to anyone else replacing a water pump...Remove the four pulley bolts before taking off the belt. I now have to put the belt back on to get some leverage on those bolts. Unless anyone has a better idea for me?

Off to get some rest. I should hopefully finish it tomorrow night.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

nice score on the JCR bumper
Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Nice man looks great, I Have a 88 Cherokee also. but mine is a Laredo. I really dont know what the differnce is between a Laredo and a Pioneer? they look exactly the same, Same Interior, Same Engine. Same Everything, any ways i just got mine about 3 weeks ago, and am doing a project on it to, so your going to be alot of help, i look forward to the thread, Good Luck.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks! I have no idea what the difference is between the two. Hopefully picking up a new track bar today!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

what track bar you going with?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Still debating on the RE HD or the JKS. The shop I go too has both in stock. The JKS is about $25 more, but it may be a little better? Since I still have only a 3" lift they said the RE screwed all the way down will fit the 3". I am not sure on the JKS though. It may be made for a 4" + lift and not be able to go short enough for the 3".

Originally Posted by Irongrave
what track bar you going with?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

in my RE with the bracket i had to cut about and inch off the joint to work on my lift.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 PM

What size lift are you running?

Originally Posted by Irongrave
in my RE with the bracket i had to cut about and inch off the joint to work on my lift.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

measured out to around 4.

are you getting one with a bracket or just re drilling the stock one?

Quick Reply: My '88 Pioneer Project "Great '88"