Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

my $600 two door xj

Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 AM

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default my $600 two door xj

well it all started when i was about 15 years old and a friend of the man i worked for had gotten a xj for free that the PO had thought had a bad motor when it didn't, so the guy said he would sell it to me because he didn't need it, but he had second thoughts and kept it. so i was kinda disappointed and of course i just wanted an xj even more. then a year of so passes and my mom and i go snowboarding with a friend of hers from work, who just happens to have a '90 two door xj with a 5 speed and a moon roof sitting in her driveway because she just got a new car. i ask her if she wants to sell it, she says yes for $800, but a couple days later my dad fixes her dryer and she ends up selling it to me for $600. to get it home i had to have the starter rebuilt then i was able to drive it home. here is a pic of it a couple months after i got it.

it had the factory mudflaps so i took the front ones off when i got a set of 31 inch cooper st's. around this same time my dad and i fab'd some 2.5 inch rear lift blocks and shortly after that we also installed two inch spacers up front. also somewhere around that time 4wheelparts was having a 30% off sale on procomp rockcrawler rims which have something like 7 or 8 welds, so i decided to buy 4 of them. well the website was having problems and it ended up selling them to me for 60% off so with lug nuts i paid $155 for a set of black steel rims. so now i with my BB and my black rims i thought i was hot stuff and i took some poser flex pics.

here it is in the snow in front of my house.

and in the mud.

sorry about the quality of the pics, i took them with my cell phone.

now this last summer my 31's were still rubbing with my BB so one day i was feeling adventurous and got my dads jigsaw and his sawzall and went to work on my fenders, now i didn't really know what i was doing and i ended up cutting the rears a little too much and now i need to weld them. also this last summer i saved up and 4wheelparts were having another sale and i was able to get a set of 31 inch Super Swamper SSR's which had a lot more tread than my old coopers and so i was back to rubbing on my fenders.

here a few pics with my BB and Swampers.

even with the lift that i had my tires still rubbed when i tried to flex so when i got out of college on break i talked to my dad and he ended up fronting me the money to buy a Rubicon Express 4.5 inch lift with full rear leaf pack and shocks. so here are a few pics of what i had as far as my BB.

here is a pic of all the major components of the lift.

the kit that i bought came with:
-adj. upper control arms
-fixed lower control arms
-adj. track bar
-swaybar discos

-front bumpstops
-front and rear extended braided steel brake lines
-front and rear twin tube shocks
-transfercase drop kit
-rear ubolts
-3.5 inch full leaf pack
-1.25 inch lift shackle
-4.5 inch front springs

and a lot of stickers that i have not put on yet.
some things that i hope to do in the near future are:
-JCR or C4X4 front bumper
-SYE
-double cardan rear driveshaft
-rear Dana 44
-4.10 or 4.56 gears

but enough about what i want to do, here are the pics of the build.
got the back done first.

lower control arms and brake lines in.

bumpstops, front springs, shocks and upper control arms installed.

all done except for alignment and sway bar discos.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:50 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Sounds pretty sweet man. your pics aren't workin...at least not for me.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:53 AM

sorry the pics didn't work, hopefully they will now.

when i first got my xj.

poser flex pics.

my rims.

mud and snow

my BB and swampers.

rear suspension.

front lowers and brake lines.

front springs and uppers.

all done.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:54 AM

thanks man! i think i just got them to work
Old 01-22-2010, 04:03 AM

much better. Thats pretty sweet man. I take it your floorboards aren't rusted through cuz you would have had all sorts a mud it your Jeep if that water/mud was a little higher
Old 01-22-2010, 04:08 AM

yeah i am from Cali and they don't salt the roads out here like they do in the mid-west and on the east coast so we don't have as much trouble with our floorboards rusting out.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:14 AM

haha, yeah I didn't even think of that. I swear everytime I get under my Jeep to do something I notice another little spot (granted I've only had it a couple months)...I should probably just pull seats and carpet out and fix it all at the same time. But not during the winter in Utah.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:24 AM

oh man thats no fun! cool is it your first xj? pretty nasty out there during winter? we've been having a pretty nasty storm for the last week here.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 AM

Yeah first XJ, had a Rodeo before that I had a ton of fun in, got it for 400 and beat it down then sold it, and bought this, put a 3-3.5 in skyjacker coils and LCA's + Bastard pack (best Junk Yard find EVER), new shocks, new wheels & tires (also awesome deal) could keep going, but there is so much more I'm gunna do when its not snowing.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 PM

right on man! sounds like you have a pretty nice rig.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:16 PM

well when I installed my lift the rear was standing a little bit higher than the front and I assumed that it would settle out pretty quick. well it hasn't so I have decided to get a set of 3/4 inch spacers for the front to correct the rake, I have not ordered them yet but i plan to this weekend and get them in soon after
Old 03-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Default some new pics

well I got the 3/4 inch spacer in and it helped a lot to level my jeep. I've been at school so i haven't had much time to wheel but a couple weeks ago i got to, but i only took a couple pics with my cell camera so sorry about the quality.

I am really happy with how well the RE lift flexes and how well it rides on the road and freeway, i have a 2 hour drive to my parents house to school and it does awesome through the mountains and on the highway.
got a couple more pics of my jeep in my parents driveway and in the parking lot of my apartment complex.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

I love two doors, yours looks just right too. I used the RE 4.5 kit as well. I installed mine two years ago, it will flex even more as it ages. Nice rig.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 AM

yeah I love two doors too! thanks a lot! right on! I love the RE lift! oh thats good to hear, I am thinking of going to 5.5 inch springs in the front with the spacers and 4.5 inch springs in the back instead of 3.5, I hope to be in the 6 inch range then. thanks a lot for the complement!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Nice rig man. Nice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my $600 two door xj

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: