Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '00 XJ "Project Lemmy"

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My '00 XJ "Project Lemmy"

I was thinking about naming it "project goatse" but its not an SE, its a sport, therefore it gets the name "Project Lemmy". This has been copied and pasted from another site I'm a part of. The names may transfer over to this site but may not be the same people.

The reason behind the name:

Lemmy The Goat

My fiancée said that I cant have a real goat as a pet and bought that for me instead. So now it moves from car to car with me. He was in a bed of easter grass in my focus. Now, as you can see, he is high atop my rear view mirror.

So back in feb. I found it at a local stealer ship. They wanted right around 7k for it. With trade in and some haggling the price went down to $4650. Its a 2000 Sport. 4.0l, Auto, Part time 4x4, 118k miles.

Here it is after a good washing:

A few pics of what got the price down:

rear bumper

hood

door

drivers seat (only thing wrong with the interior)

It also needed a new exhaust and the heater would only work on high. I got them to fix the heater. I ended up putting new bolts on the flange between the muffler and the cat and it quieted right up.

As I drove it for the first week I was picking it apart trying to find out if all of the little things i was hearing and feeling were normal. Came to the conclusion that it needed new shocks, a new muffler, and new exhaust hangars.

I went and had lunch at the hospital with my fiancée. I walked out to find this:

Someone hit my ****!!!

Just a scratch on the plastic. No major damage. Nothing is tweaked.

In that week I realized the headlights sucked! I also noticed that the interior lights blew ***** too. So out came the LEDs and the projectors.

led strips floor board lighting tucked under the dash where it can't be seen:

I was quite surprised how nice the interior is lit up now.

A couple weeks went by and I was doing some research and decided on lifting it 3". I then contacted a friend and fellow XJ fan, Tom *** aka TomTom. I had asked him about his D30hp swap he did to which I was in luck that he is going to swap his front axle into his wifes jeep and i have now acquired dibs on his wifes D30hp when it comes out. I also purchased a set of 31 bfgs on canyons from him. In all of the going back and forth between us, he pointed out that I wont like the 3" and will most likely want to go higher. I like how his wifes jeep sets so he has been working me through piecing together a lift to get the 4 1/2" that his wife has. I've been shopping around for about a month and he's been pointing out deals he has been finding and I have been finding deals and asking if he knows if I can find the stuff cheaper or if I found the best deal. Its going to be a long process and ill stop sucking him off via the internet now for all of the help.

I'm set on the 4 1/2" and 31s for now.

This is whats on the list so far:
Rough Country 4 1/2" coils up front
ZR2 Bastard pack in the rear
Rough Country adjustable shackles
Adjustable track bar
1" t-case drop
Shims for rear pinion angle
New U-bolts
New brake lines (most likely yj lines)
Sway Bar Discos
31's with new rims

Things still in the air:
Longer lower control arms or control arm drop brackets? I have to shop around to figure it out.
I'm thinking about doing a WJ steering conversion but thats not a priority
Shocks. I.E. what brand.

I'm sure the list will grow as my mind continues to wander, but this will get my by for right now as it will be my DD/Weekend Wheeler.

So i don't have a picture of the rims and tires but they are paid for and are being stored at Tom's for now.

I however picked up the ZR2 springs from Travis aka mrclean, another great guy to deal with. Thanks again.

I also walked in the door at work yesterday and the tcase drop was sitting on a box on top of my desk(thanks you "Bullet")

And what was in the box? My Rough Country Shackles:

More to come on this slow build.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 PM

Engine: 4.0 i6 HO

that is one of the cleanest xjs I've ever seen. Sounds like a good build start.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:01 PM

Year: 2K
Engine: I6 with Mustang fuel injectors; 60mm Throttle Body;

Great start on the build. I have a 2000 with a D30 lp and I have see guys that wheel them with out a problem. Not to say I don't have my eye out for a good deal on a d30 hp.

I am still up in the air, since it is my only transportation, weather to get 3.5" or 4.5" lift.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:42 PM

Year: 1996

Very nice find!

Originally Posted by Skipper
Great start on the build. I have a 2000 with a D30 lp and I have see guys that wheel them with out a problem. Not to say I don't have my eye out for a good deal on a d30 hp.

I am still up in the air, since it is my only transportation, weather to get 3.5" or 4.5" lift.
Go 4.5". My XJ is my daily driver and I went with a RC 3" and now im going up another 2.5" because i just wasn't happy with the 3" at all.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:40 AM

Year: 2K
Engine: I6 with Mustang fuel injectors; 60mm Throttle Body;

Originally Posted by cruisemissile
Very nice find!

Go 4.5". My XJ is my daily driver and I went with a RC 3" and now im going up another 2.5" because i just wasn't happy with the 3" at all.
Thanks man! I know you are right as I have been leaning that way, just dont know if I want to do the SYE as that adds to the budget.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by HockeyNTrucks
that is one of the cleanest xjs I've ever seen. Sounds like a good build start.
Thanks. I've seen nicer but wasn't looking to buy one at the time.

Originally Posted by Skipper

My LP would work fine but I can't beat the price on the HP. FREE!!! It had a bad unit bearing and his wife parked it and they only had his xj to drive. I bought the unit bearing and put it in so they could have 2 vehicles again. He was going to give it to me cheap anyways but that sweetened the deal enough to just give it to me.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:49 PM

An SYE will most likely be put in, but the tcase drop was $20 so I got it for now to get me by on the cheap.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 PM

very nice jeep
Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks Mike. I also forgot to mention that the muffler and hangars all just got replaced. $94 for everything installed including a VX Series (knock off of a flow master 40). I just noticed today that when he hung the tail pipe that it twisted on him a little bit, counterclockwise about 10 degrees. If it really bothers me down the road, I'll just make it straight by nipping about a 1/4" off of the end to make it look straight.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6

Looks good man, and good thing you didn't name it goatse...
Old 04-24-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Klavistata
Looks good man, and good thing you didn't name it goatse...
I'm sure it would have gotten a ton of hits if I did...lol