Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Mild Grand Cherokee WJ build

Old 06-30-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Mild Grand Cherokee WJ build

MILD GRAND CHEROKEE WJ BUILD

It's a dark purple (kinda rare color... I think) 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 4.0 4X4.
I purchased this WJ about a month ago with the intention to build a mild, weekend warrior / overland rig.

Overall the jeep is bone stock, no rust, good shape. It needs some cleaning, paint correction, general tune-up, fluids change, stuff like that.

The plan for this one is:

- small lift, maybe 4.5"
- 33" tires
- front steel bumper
- roof rack
- some offroad lights
- Raptor liner paint job on the lower parts of the vehicle
- general maintenance and cleaning

I started by taking the whole front suspension and axle out. I need to clean everything, and prep it for all new parts. The jeep is rust free, but of course, since it's a WJ it had both front springs perches rusted out. I have a fix for that, so no big deal.

After I got the axle out, I cleaned all the wheel wells and undercarriage and painted it nicely with some anti-corrosion paint. Also, when I was there, I made a list of parts needed, such as sway bar bushings, new bump stops, etc.

For the wheels and tires, I went with some brand new, straight out of the dealership Wrangler JL Rubicon wheels and tires. JL wranglers and JT gladiators have an option for A/T or M/T tires. I went with the M/Ts. Also, I really like the Falken wild peak tires. I think they're going to look really good on the WJ

Old 07-03-2019, 09:23 PM

So I got some stuff done today.
I welded new spring perches to the axle, removed old rubber bushings from the upper control arm mounts and replaced them with new polyurethane bushings.
Then I cleaned the axle, painted it and replaced worn out axle shafts and hubs.
It's ready to put it back under the jeep and start on the rear.

I forgot to take the picture of the ready axle, so that's coming tomorrow...

Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 PM

Since it's a side project, it's going a little bit slower than it normally would, but I'm trying to overhaul/rebuild all the part I take off the jeep before I put them back on. And it takes time. A lot of time.

During the last few days, I've been working on the front suspension and everything around it.

The axle is now painted, got all new axle shafts, hubs, ball joints, seals and bushings. I'm just waiting on the differential cover, and the axle will be 100% ready.

I installed the front portion of the lift kit. All new control arms, bushings, shocks, springs, rubber on top and on the bottom of the springs, new adjustable trackbar, sway bar bushings, etc.
The only two things left to do in the front suspension is a one-ton steering and sway bar disconnects. Also when I had the driveshaft out, I changed all u-joints.

Rebuilt and painted the calipers, installed all new brake hardware, pads along with drilled and slotted rotors.

I put the wheels and tires on to see how it would look like, and I must say, I really like it. Of course, the suspension needs to be adjusted.

Today I started on the rear suspension.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:49 PM

Today, I finished the rear part of the lift.
Of course, I took my time and while I was there, I changed everything that was worn out.
I replaced all the bushings in the rear suspension, installed a whole new upper control arm, along with the ball joint and spacer.
Now I'm just waiting on some small parts, such as sway bar disconnects, rear sway bar links, bump stops, etc.

Also installed all new rotors, pads and rebuilt the calipers.

In the meantime, I have to adjust the suspension and make new 1-ton steering. After that, the suspension will be done, and the jeep should drive like new or maybe even better

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

During the last week or so I was bringing this poor jeep back to life.

The interior was just NASTY!
The carpets and seats were saturated with all kinds of smelly fluids lol
It pretty much smelled like someone died in that jeep

Anyway, I got all the interior ripped out! I will be replacing it with an Overland edition interior, with some new leather on top of that
It's gonna be better than new!

Also, the paint on this Grand was TRASHED!
I wet sanded, compounded and polished it. Now it looks like a show car haha

I decided to upgrade the suspension. Yeah, I know... I just put a brand new lift kit on it haha
It's getting a Clayton Off Road brackets and cross member and some custom long arms
Also, I upgraded to 6" springs instead of 4.5". Clayton now has double rate springs, so that's what I went with.

Front bumper for the WJ is already in powder coating. I'm finishing the rear bumper with tire carrier and rotopax mounts. After I finish the rear bumper, I will be making a roof rack as well!