Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild build and lift on stock 98 Cherokee Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Mild build and lift on stock 98 Cherokee Sport

Starting this primarily to keep track of when and what I am doing to my 98 Cherokee Sport.

I originally bought this in spring of 2016 for $750.
Basically stock 98 with a blown motor. Rebuild thread here: 98 rebuildI tore down the motor and saw that two pistons went kablooie. Further investigation revealed that the thermostat was rusted shut from the PO using well water in the cooling system. I needed to get it back on the road quickly so I put a used motor in it for $450. Been great for 1.5 years and 5k miles. Replaced shocks, brakes and tires and it was ready to roll.

A little while later, I removed the side trim and painted the lower doors, bumpers, header panel and outer hood panels with monstaliner.

Next up was Bushwacker fender flares. did the fronts and need to finish the rears. They are a PITA to install. Wife liked them so I went with it. ~$450 from amazon

Redid the headliner along the way too. Used the eastwood landau glue and it's been holding up great.

Finally decided to do a lift. Went with the DPG offroad hybrid 2.5" kit built around OME springs and shocks. $1500 shipped. DPG Lift

It came with the stock wheels which really needed to be upgrade. Found some 16" wheels/tires from a JK on Criagslist. $300 including wheel adapters.

Last two weekends were spent rebuilding the front suspension in preparation for the lift. Replaced control arm bushings, ball joints and ujoints. They were all desperately needed.

I have PB blasted the leaf spring bolts hoping the front one comes out easily. Next step will be the full lift install that I'll writeup here.

Monstaliner on hood and header panel

New wheels and tires. Front bushwackers installed.

Redone headliner
Old 10-25-2018, 01:14 AM

Received 293 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.9 Stroker 4cyl

Looks really nice.
Can't wait to see the rest of the flairs, and the lift on it.
I think you will love the DPG kit?
I was amazed how well mine rode after installing the OME stuff, and Dirk is really a great guy to deal with too.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

looks like a great start !
Old 11-04-2018, 08:08 PM

Been hitting the leaf spring nuts with PB blaster the last 2 weekends. So nice having all the suspension clunks gone after the new ball joints and control arm bushings.. Wanted to return the ball joint press I rented so pressed out the stock sway bar lower mounts and put in the JKS quicker disconnects. Really nice quality. Last piece of prep was removing one of the leafs from the OME leaf springs. The kit came with springs for a 3.5" lift which is fine with me. If I want to go bigger later, I can put the leaf back in and get next up coils.Also checked out the JKS adjustable track bar. I am really impressed with the JKS stuff. Love the fact that the track bar is rebuildable too. Been reading up on options for if/when the front leaf spring nut breaks off in the frame. I think I am prepared if that happens. Going to finally do the rest of the lift over Thanksgiving when the Jeep can be off the road for a few days if the leaf spring bolts do not cooperate. Can't wait.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:49 PM

low beams before

high beams before

Take that bushing

low beam after

high beam after

Look ma! no bolt.

Fitting up the DPG ubolt bracket and OME leafs

Drivers side coming out next boss
Old 11-22-2018, 03:15 PM

Took a few hours to get the trick for getting the new leafs back in. Hooked up the back of the leaf, then used a ratechet strap around the back of the leaf and the axle. then tightened it up to get the spring to move towards the front and holding the axle in place while I pried the leaf over the perch. Got the drivers side done and will tackle the passengers side tomorrow. The Old Man emu shocks are beasts compared to the KYB gas adjusts I had on there.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:39 PM

Got the back finished today. Front should be pretty easy compared to dealing with the leaf springs.

Going downhill until the front is done
Old 11-25-2018, 08:18 PM

Finished up the front today. Was dark by the time I finished so couldn't get a great pic. Already see the next set of things that need done. Brake lines, rest of the drive drain ujoints, longer rear brake lines, SYE. Last part of this phase is finish the Bushwacker flares in the back. Definitely need some all terrain tires, but these should be ok for awhile.
Took it for the first drive tonight and it rides great. Really tight and solid. The very back exhaust hanger is banging against the leaf so I have to fix that. OTherwise, everything seems good. I'm really impressed with the JKS quick disconnects and the JKS adjustable track bar. That track bar is a beast.

OME vs. KYB. No contest here