Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

lift sugestions

Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default lift sugestions

Hello, i have a 98 jeep cherokee sport and would like to lift it just a little. Someone metioned to me about tightening torsion bars but i dont know if i have those. they also metioned suspension spacers. please let me know what would be the best way to lift this without breaking the bank
Old 09-16-2012, 04:20 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L I6 H.O. (242 CID)

we'll depending on what type of suspension you have, building a lift kit would probably be your best bet to save money. do you know if you have leafs in the rear and springs in the front? or springs all the way around
Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM

welcome to the site... first and foremost wrong section.. maybe a moderator could movie it.. but to answer your question you you have to tell us more about your jeep.. second read the forums.. there is a vast amount of info.. don't rush anything.. do it right the first time.. read info and then ask questions and decide.. welcome to the forum !
Old 09-16-2012, 04:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by sheerbeer View Post
Hello, i have a 98 jeep cherokee sport and would like to lift it just a little. Someone metioned to me about tightening torsion bars but i dont know if i have those. they also metioned suspension spacers. please let me know what would be the best way to lift this without breaking the bank
Visit a junk yard and take leaf springs from a dodge durango and coil springs from a Thunderbird. ~5.5 inches of lift for a fraction of the price.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by willdc10
welcome to the site... first and foremost wrong section.. maybe a moderator could movie it.. but to answer your question you you have to tell us more about your jeep.. second read the forums.. there is a vast amount of info.. don't rush anything.. do it right the first time.. read info and then ask questions and decide.. welcome to the forum !
We don't need more info to recommend lifts..he stated that its a 98 xj..

OP: id recommend just going with a 3 inch kit...comes with everything and will get the job done...if your rear end isn't sagging you could get away with an aal kit for around 300 bucks..

If that's too high you could just throw spacers up front and shackles in the rear. Search...you'll find plenty of info..
Welcome to Cherokee forum..
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 PM

info meaning miles... budget.. things of that nature.. didn't know if he wanted a budget build.. 3 inch.. add a leaf.. or what..
Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by McGuinness View Post
we'll depending on what type of suspension you have, building a lift kit would probably be your best bet to save money. do you know if you have leafs in the rear and springs in the front? or springs all the way around
leaves in the back
Old 09-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by willdc10 View Post
info meaning miles... budget.. things of that nature.. didn't know if he wanted a budget build.. 3 inch.. add a leaf.. or what..
it has 158 thousand miles, im hopeing to not have to spend more then 5-6 hundred
Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 PM

then like stated I'd get a three inch lift.. Rubicon, rusty, etc ... if you install your self you could do it for under the price.. if death wobble insues.. get t case drop and steering stabilizer
Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Buy a 3 inch kit
Old 09-19-2012, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by willdc10
then like stated I'd get a three inch lift.. Rubicon, rusty, etc ... if you install your self you could do it for under the price.. if death wobble insues.. get t case drop and steering stabilizer
Please stop giving advice until you know a little more. A steering stabilizer is not a cure for death wobble nor is a t case drop.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by bhennessee1 View Post
Please stop giving advice until you know a little more. A steering stabilizer is not a cure for death wobble nor is a t case drop.
Then what IS the cure for the OP's death wobble? Give up? THERE IS NO CURE! Know why? Because he doesn't have death wobble since he hasn't lifted his Jeep yet! Chill out bro. People are just throwing out ideas because that's what the OP asked for. Wrong section or not, people are responding.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ineedabeer
Then what IS the cure for the OP's death wobble? Give up? THERE IS NO CURE! Know why? Because he doesn't have death wobble since he hasn't lifted his Jeep yet! Chill out bro. People are just throwing out ideas because that's what the OP asked for. Wrong section or not, people are responding.
I didn't say he did I don't know where you got that idea. If you read my post you'll se that I didn't say he had death wobble, I was just telling other dude to stop giving bad advice because he doesn't know what he is talking about . God damn don't jump down my throat for telling a newb to stop giving bad advice smartass.

Last edited by bhennessee1; 09-19-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 PM

Whoah, bud! No one is doing anything to anyone's throat! I was just saying that the OP did not ask for specifics, just some general suggestions. No need to overcomplicate things with details. You and I know that the real answer is dude just needs to do research. But other guys are just pointing him in a general direction. No offense, man. Come on. We drive lifted station wagons! We've got to stick together!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ineedabeer
Whoah, bud! No one is doing anything to anyone's throat! I was just saying that the OP did not ask for specifics, just some general suggestions. No need to overcomplicate things with details. You and I know that the real answer is dude just needs to do research. But other guys are just pointing him in a general direction. No offense, man. Come on. We drive lifted station wagons! We've got to stick together!
I really wanna still be pissed at you, but the lifted station wagon thing was hilarious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lift sugestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: