Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping it cheap cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Keeping it cheap cherokee

This will be my first cherokee build, but not my first jeep. I have built a j10 mud truck that was sitting on 38 tsl's, and a DD Tj sitting on 35's. My goal for this Jeep is kind of a "Jack of all trades". Let me start with its a bone stock 2000 cherokee sport 4.0 auto, with chrysler 8.25 rear, and tow package. I traded a 98 civic that i hit a dear with and needed a new computer, for it. The cherokee is not perfect it had hit a pole, so the hood and bumper are dented, which i dont mind cause i will most likely be putting more dents in it I want to lift it 4in with 32/11.50/15 mud tires. Put a custom front winch bumper, rock sliders, tube fenders, custom rear bumper, roof rack, snorkel, and paint it green. I already have 4in rear leaf springs, lca's, drop pitman arm, tires, front bumper, and materials for snorkel. This weekend i will be ordering the rest of the stuff for my lift. Now for what i have already done to the jeep. I had to replace the radiator, the fuel pump, radiator hose, coil pack and oil pump. I now need to replace the fuel pump check valve (cause i got a used fuel pump off a buddy and now my jeep doesnt want to start right), and my neutral safety switch so i dont have to put it in neutral to start it. I have already cut the fenders to make room for the tires and give me more clearance when i put the lift on. I will post pics as i go.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 PM

sounds like my plans to my jeep...cant wait to see pics ....i also have a brand new neutral safety switch if ur interested in it pm me
Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 PM

I am installing a stereo system for someone tomorrow, so i will be able to order the rest of the parts for my lift this weekend. So while i am waiting for the lift i have been playing around with how i am going to do my snorkel. I had some left over intercooler pipe, from a previous car of mine. It is 2.5in stainless steel, i figured it would work great and look good at the same time.

It is not mounted yet. I still need to cut the hole in the fender and in the engine bay, then weld tabs on to mount it to the body. I am then going to sand blast the tube to paint it black, cause chrome has no business being on a jeep
Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0L high output

wow thats quite a bit of left over inter cooler pipe haha
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by WONiWILSON
The cherokee is not perfect it had hit a pole, so the hood and bumper are dented, which i dont mind cause i will most likely be putting more dents in it I want to lift it 4in with 32/11.50/15 mud tires. Put a custom front winch bumper, rock sliders, tube fenders, custom rear bumper, roof rack, snorkel, and paint it green. I already have 4in rear leaf springs, lca's, drop pitman arm, tires, front bumper, and materials for snorkel. This weekend i will be ordering the rest of the stuff for my lift. Now for what i have already done to the jeep. I had to replace the radiator, the fuel pump, radiator hose, coil pack and oil pump. I now need to replace the fuel pump check valve (cause i got a used fuel pump off a buddy and now my jeep doesnt want to start right), and my neutral safety switch so i dont have to put it in neutral to start it. I have already cut the fenders to make room for the tires and give me more clearance when i put the lift on. I will post pics as i go.
Is the plan for DD and Mud Truck? Not being a smart ***, but with the custom front winch bumper, rock sliders, tube fenders, custom rear bumper, roof rack and 32 " mud tires it doesn't sound cheap : ) Are you going to do some of the custom work yourself?

Sounds interesting.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM

I am doing all the work myself. I already have the rear leafs lcas and drop pitman arm. I'm only going to be at $400 for the lift tires front bumper and snorkel.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM

sorry i havent posted anything in a while. I did a compression test yesterday and found out that cylinder 5 was at 140 and cylinder 4 was at 130. I took the oil filler cap off and there it was all white and milking. Has anyone had their heads crack anywhere besides in between cylinder 3 and 4? I just changed the oil a about 200 miles ago so i dont think a rebuild is in order. On a happier note i did get the rest of my parts ordered for my lift. I ordered 4.5 rc coil springs and sway bar links. I already had 4in rancho leaf springs and lcas along with a drop pitman arm. I just have to go to the parts store and pick up dakota rear brake line and mid 90s gm truck front brake lines. I should be installing the lift in a week and a half depending on if my head is cracked or not. (I dont want to have to use a step to do install another head)
Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM

Well i popped off the valve cover and i cant see a crack anywhere. Im going to take my head into napa and have them clean it cause it had quite the bit of sludge built up. I do believe i dodged a bullet on this one, but i know its only a matter of time before my 0331 head does crack
Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 AM

I know it has been a long time since i had posted last but i have run into one problem after another. My stepdad gave my rear leafs and lcas that he said were for 4in lift. Turns out they were for 1.5in lift from rancho. So i have been trying to figure out what route i wanted to take, i came up with since the leafs were practicaly brand new i would use those and just get shackles and maybe make some shackle relocation brackets and extend the lcas.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 PM

this is when i realized the rear was not 4in
Old 04-21-2012, 12:30 PM

I cut and folded my fenderswhile i was at it i also cut the ends of my front bumper at 45 degree angles
Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 PM

I think for now i am just going to use 3in blocks on the rear, until i save up money to do it the right way so i can drive it. Now i know about blocks so save me the spanking haha. I have them so im using them till i save the money
Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Ok so i have everything done on my lift except the lcas. I put the lcas on that my step dad gave me and they are hitting the shock mount so i ordered a set that have the bend in them. Once i get those in then i can finally finish my lift and go wheeling.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM

i finally got the lift done a couple weeks ago i will post pics as soon as i upload them.