Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Imput needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Imput needed!

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so please excuse my ignorance!

I just got my XJ, and so far I'm loving it! In the long term, I want to do many modifications, but for right now, I just want to start small. Basically I want to keep everything stock. The only thing is, I feel that no matter what, I should have a good recovery system in place. While I want to keep costs down as much as possible, I want to buy good quality stuff the first time and not have to go back and buy replacements when things break after one use.

So here's my plan:

Throw a Rusty's Tow Hook Kit on the front, and one of their Rear Receiver Hitch's on the back, along with a Shackle Receiver.

I'd also plan on getting a 48in Hi-Lift X-Treme jack (I know, unnecessary for now, but like I said earlier, I'd rather buy it now and have it, then but a lesser one and then feel the need to upgrade later). With the jack, I'd throw in Hi-Lift Off Road Kit. What are everyone's thoughts on chains vs tow straps? Either one better or worse? Lastly, since I have stock bumpers right now, I figure I'll need a Lift-Mate too, right? Also, can the hitch be used as a jacking point?

I know that all this equipment might seem like overkill for a stock XJ, but I feel like being able to get myself out of sticky situations is super important.

What does everyone think?

Thanks for any and all input! It is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

This should have been asked in the Chat section. The mods will most likely move it.

But, to answer your questions...yes, recovery should be number one. From experience, there's nothing worse then getting out on a trail, getting stuck, and then not being able to be pulled/removed.

I had factory front tow hooks on my rig with I bought it and they were heavily used. Not only for the recovery of my own rig but others as well. The same goes with the hitch. I bought a cheap Smittybilt receiver hook from 4 wheel parts for like $15 and it worked great.

As for the hi-lift....The factory bumpers are too thin to use as a jack point. I purchased the hook that is designed to wrap under the bumper and it just bent it all to hell. The lift mate would work unless you need to pull the wheel off.

Next, I have used my hitch as a lift point and I can say its not the best idea. Lifting vertically it is perfect and seems like a great idea. But, the slightest bump to either side of the vehicle and it will shift and slip right off the jack.

Finally, I had used my hi-lift as a come-a-long and it worked...but at the expense of the bolts and pins that allow it to function. It bent both of the cross pins and the bolt that the lift arm pivots on. Since then, even after replacing the bent parts, it hasn't functioned smoothly. I have to ****** the handle up or down instead of smoothly pull it down.

Sorry for the wordy response. Just wanna throw out what my experience has been with what you're asking. Hope this helps

Adam
Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I would recommend front and rear aftermarket bumpers that include d-ring recovery points. Never hurts to have a winch either. Factory recovery points (even aftermarket re-makes) aren't always as strong as some aftermarket alternatives.

Tow hooks and a receiver hitch will also do okay, I used that setup for a little while before getting my bumper.

Hi-lift jack... probably unnecessary. I get around without one. But they look cool and I don't doubt their usefulness.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 AM
CF Veteran

Recovery points, hilift jack and a tow strap AND recovery strap. Keep in mind they're two separate things.

What I like about the hilift is that you can use it for recovery to winch you out or to lift you over something or as a method to simply change the tires. They're cheap so why not carry one even if you have stock bumpers for the moment. Even just for recovery purposes its worth it.

I have alot of friends who use chains, personally I prefer tow straps. They're lighter, safer and work just as well. However a chain cant be used like a RECOVERY strap. Thats where the strap wins hands down.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Year: 2001

adamk,

I appreciate the detailed response. Quite a bit of valuable information. Which model Hi-Lift Jack do you have? Have you heard of other having your problem when winching with it?

thatXJguy,

Just to clarify, my XJ does not have factory recovery points right now. Do you recommend a specific brand for aftermarket alternatives? I'd love to throw bumpers on the front and rear, but I just think the financially, that's not in the game plan right now. Have you heard and pro's or con's for Rusty's Tow Hooks?

OttawaXJ,

This is where my ignorance is going to really shine through - What is the difference between tow straps and recovery straps? Also, how would you change a tire with a Hi-Lift jack, if I have stock bumpers?

Andy
Old 07-16-2013, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

I have just the standard cast 60". Nothing special or fancy about it. Even with the cons stated before, I still use it all the time. Its the only thing tall enough to reach my bumper haha.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 i6

A tow strap is for towing someone around and a recovery strap is made to stretch just a little bit so it aids in yanking a vehicle out.