Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highschool Built: Project Big Bessy

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI Power Tech HO
Default Highschool Built: Project Big Bessy

How are you guys? my names Dalton. ive been on the forum for quite a while now (about 1.5 years) just reading and watching. lately ive been posting a little bit and well I figured now is the time to start my build thread for my XJ on this forum.

so a little on myself. im 17 years old (will be 18 in a little under 2 weeks)and im currently a senior in highschool pushing through an advanced technology based program called Tec-Smart put on by my home highschool in collaboration with Hudson Valley Community College. ive worked on cars since I was old enough to hold a wrench. they are my passion and they are going to hopefully become my career. I first started working with my dad on his 66' dodge dart. its a 4 speed small tire car that run consistant 10.80s in the quarter. resently we have both been sharing partnership in working on his build of his 12' dodge challenger R/T classic 6 speed car, and my 01' jeep Cherokee XJ.

okay so here are the specs on my jeep from when I first bought it 1.5 years ago:
  • 01 XJ sport
  • 4.0L I6 HO
  • AW4 auto
  • NP231 transfer case
  • LP Dana 30
  • Chrysler 8.25 29 spline
  • 3.55 gears

Here is whats been done since I bough it:
  • HP D30 swap
  • solid inc. diff cover (F + R)
  • Dakota 29 spline 8.25 limited slip unit
  • IRO heavy duty steering
  • Rusty's adjustable track bar
  • RC adjustable control arms (upper and lower)
  • RC 4.5" lift coils
  • RC N2.0 shocks
  • Bastard pack (Cherokee + 3" RC pack)
  • RC relocation brackets
  • daystar 1" lift shackles
  • RC N2.0 shocks
  • Ruggid Ridge SYE + factory front driveshaft
  • heartthrob 2.5" catback with 3 chamber muffler
  • spectrum cowl cold air intake
  • 784 injector swap
  • Napier Precision Flares
  • Dirtbound offroad stubby winch bumper
  • tuffstuff 12.5K winch
  • Dirtbound offroad DIY rear bumper
  • replaced floors
  • replaced rockers
  • replaced rear lower quarter panels
  • rustolum bedliner on doors, quarters, and bumpers
  • full audio system with single 10" sub
  • 33x12.50x15 firestone destination A/Ts
  • 70' Chrysler 15x7 police steel wheels with factory jeep center caps
Plans to come down the road:
  • redesign front + rear suspension
  • frame stiffners
  • rock sliders
  • 4.56 gears
  • aussi locker for d30
  • truss front + rear
  • chromo axle shafts front + rear
  • 35x12.50x15 tires
  • custom cargo divider
theres a lot more that I have planned to do but most of it I cant remember lol. okay so enough talking lets get to the pictures.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:11 PM

The day that I brought her home

when I put the first lift on. 3" with 31" tires on a set of cragar wheels

when I first went to the 4.5" lift

having a little bit of fun with some of the guys

just chillen on a hill at the pits

first pic of when I went to the 33s, naiper flares, and added the bedliner

exploring prospect mountain in lake George

using the log to measure for my bumper stops and needed shock lengths

and finally this is what my jeep looks like as of 2 weeks ago. unforchantly I got into a accident to where I T-boned a mini van after I hit a patch of black ice on the road caused by a quick snow squall and slid off the road and through an intersection where the women in the van was waiting to turn. currently the interior is completely striped as I plan to bedline the floors and to put some insulation down and to clean the interior panels and the carpet. any part of the body that is maroon or green or white is getting repainted to the factory maroon paint color. hopefully when everything is all set and done she will look good again.

Last edited by JEEPERDK; 01-11-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:51 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

That's a good looking jeep bud. How long have you been building it?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

you've already done a lot..good job
Old 01-13-2015, 02:01 PM

well I finally got my front bumper painted up with the same bedliner I used on the rest of the vehicle

I also got a 12.5K winch from my father for Christmas. he got a really good deal on. I think he said it was like around $270 shipped to the door as it was on holiday sale then he also got a paypal coupon to use as well

Originally Posted by xclusive
That's a good looking jeep bud. How long have you been building it?

thank you very much! ive been building it for a little over a year and a half now. I picked it up in may of 2013 before I got my license. I ended up putting the first 3" lift on about 2 weeks before I went for my road test at the end of july of 2013

Originally Posted by HS00XJ
you've already done a lot..good job

Thank you very much 00XJ!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 AM

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd almost a little over $500 laterrrr. lol just ordered myself a DIY weld together rock slider kit with rub/step bar. I also ordered up a full set of front to rear frame stiffeners, and while I was at it I ordered some clear front turn signal lights for the turn signal and corner marker. im going to have a crap ton of stuff to do once I get ol' bessy back from being painted.

here are the rock sliders
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171302693615?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

here are the frame stiffeners
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221502817895?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

aand lastly the marker lights
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230710841926?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I also picked up some of Tony_SS new military style hood and fender decals in black. I got a neat idea on where I want to put them. bessy hasn't been badged as a jeep in over a year, but she will be getting badged as an XJ come very soon.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Looking forward to seeing everything installed! You're definitely off to a good start.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:44 PM

thank you very much! im hoping within the next couple of months or so, ill be able to pick up a set of long arms. although im not hundred percent sure what long arms I want. im trying to decide wether I want to 3 link it or radius it. ive been looking into the TNT customs longarm and belly pan but that's extremely expensive. ive also been looking at the B. Lee 3 link but im no quit sure if I wanna pick that up as I would end up modifying it for a transfer case and tranny oil pan skid.

ive also been looking into these 2 kits as well that I found for a good price on ebay although I would have to do the same thing to them as the B. Lee by adding a transfer case and tranny skid. although im strongly leaning towards these two kits as both allow for the removal of the center section for tranny servicing without having to drop the front axle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160900135015?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151343021901?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

what do you guys suggest? id like to try and keep it under $1k for the conversation if I can but I don't want to get something that wont last for very long. its my daily driver and I need my parts to last as long as possible.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Seriousoffroad, a vendor here makes a great long arm kit for under 1k with a skid plate. http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...Path=419_2040&
Also haven't read anything bad about core 4x4, the company that makes the first long arm kit off ebay, haven't heard of anything bad about them other than no tcase protection. I've read of one using a tcase drop and the stock cross member as a skid plate behind the long arm cross member as a cheap alternative.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by JEEPERDK
thank you very much! im hoping within the next couple of months or so, ill be able to pick up a set of long arms. although im not hundred percent sure what long arms I want. im trying to decide wether I want to 3 link it or radius it. ive been looking into the TNT customs longarm and belly pan but that's extremely expensive. ive also been looking at the B. Lee 3 link but im no quit sure if I wanna pick that up as I would end up modifying it for a transfer case and tranny oil pan skid.

ive also been looking into these 2 kits as well that I found for a good price on ebay although I would have to do the same thing to them as the B. Lee by adding a transfer case and tranny skid. although im strongly leaning towards these two kits as both allow for the removal of the center section for tranny servicing without having to drop the front axle.

Jeep Cherokee XJ 84 01 Complete Long Arm Upgrade Kit | eBay

Jeep Cherokee XJ Long Arm Upgrade Kit Hardcore Offroad LLC Best for The Buck | eBay

what do you guys suggest? id like to try and keep it under $1k for the conversation if I can but I don't want to get something that wont last for very long. its my daily driver and I need my parts to last as long as possible.
I see you're making your own sliders, Have you considered ordering the stuff to make your long arms? If I had a welder that what i'd do. But I dont so I payed my buddy 400 to order the stuff and do it.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Seriousoffroad, a vendor here makes a great long arm kit for under 1k with a skid plate. http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...Path=419_2040&
Also haven't read anything bad about core 4x4, the company that makes the first long arm kit off ebay, haven't heard of anything bad about them other than no tcase protection. I've read of one using a tcase drop and the stock cross member as a skid plate behind the long arm cross member as a cheap alternative.

I completely forgot about serious offroad. I looked into them a while back. they have a nice product, something ill have to add to the list of options.

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
I see you're making your own sliders, Have you considered ordering the stuff to make your long arms? If I had a welder that what i'd do. But I dont so I payed my buddy 400 to order the stuff and do it.

building my own long arms or 3 link has been something ive been contemplating for a while now. im pretty confident with my welding on thicker metal (I bought DIY dirtbound offroad bumpers and welded them together myself) hense why I don't mind doing the frame stiffeners and sliders myself. but the problem is I don't know if I have enough confidence in my welding skills to want to risk something going wrong with such a crucial part of the function of the vehicle like the front suspension. ive been looking at ruffstuff's DIY 3 link kit for a while but another thing that really has stopped me from doing that is the fact that I want to stay with as many rubber bushings in my suspension as possible to help keep the rig a nice daily driver.

i still have quite a bit of time to think about this though while i save up the money. i guess my decision on whether i want to build my own or buy a setup will all come once i finish the install of the sliders and the stiffeners to see how good of quality my welding really is.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

If you know what your doing as in basic welding. It's all in the settings to get the proper penetration.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:13 AM

very true sir! i guess i will just have to get some practice pieces of material that is the same thickness as what i plan to weld on or too to make sure i get my setting right. they only thing that sucks is to weld the thickness of material that is commonly used for the suspension parts would make it so i have to use a .035 flux core wire in my 110 mig welder. thickest i can go with CO2 and a .030 wire with that welder is is down to 10 gauge steel.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:14 AM

Year: 1997

Nice build. Looks good and anticipate seeing more as you go along.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by *The Dude*
Nice build. Looks good and anticipate seeing more as you go along.
thank you very much Dude! im doing my best to keep it clean and show quality while also doing my best to make a nice weekend warrior on a high school part time job budget.

Quick Reply: Highschool Built: Project Big Bessy