Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Can't Decide On Lift / Tires For 01 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Talking Help! Can't Decide On Lift / Tires For 01 XJ

Hello all.

I'm currently debating on what to do to my 2001 XJ,
It's stock, Auto, 4.0.
Planning On mudding, no rock crawling or anything with a HUGE amount of flex, Just a occasional laid down tree or somethin, . This vehicle is my daily driver so i need to go highway speeds. =/ Trying my best to avoid death wobble, Have a pretty good budget for all of this work, 4.5in lift, Rims and tires.

I'm looking for a 4.5in Lift, Prolly Rubicon or Rusty's.
Going for full suspension kit, not AAL Or anything.
I want to run 32'' or 33'' Tires.

My questions are.
1.) Should I regear? From what I've gathered I should
2.) SYE and extended Driveshaft or stick with the T-case Drop?
3.) Is there anyone in tacoma/seattle area In washington that has knowledge installing these items, I dont have the time,place or tools to dive into this project, I have the funds, about 5k to get all I need to get done at a shop, but trying to find someone to do it for cheaper than a stupid shop that will charge wayyy too much. =p
4.) Will I need to trim my fenders, or purchase fender flares. I Like the look of them, but will stick with stock if it proves pointless, unless there is flex problems, once again, wont be rock climbing anytime soon, so.

If anyone can recommend a setup I should run. That would be amazing.
Im looking for what parts i need other than the lift kit, rim's tires.

Thanks a lot, This forum is amazing! I learn something new everyday here!

Luke
=D
Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

My 1999 XJ is very close to what setup you are talking about. I started with a RE 3.5 inch superflex lift that came with all new springs and shocks. I also added JKS rear shackles and their adjustable coil over spacers in the frontand that made up about another inch of lift. I have no SYE or transfer case drop and no vibration or wobble at any speed. I did install a double cardan rear driveshaft that worked out really well. I have about the same plans as you because mine is my only vehicle. I only have 31's but could easily clear 32's and maybe 33's. I did not do any fender trimming and there is no rubbing, I did remove my fender flares because I think it looks better. I installed my lift and everything else in the driveway and while a little time consuming, it all went pretty smotth, other than a few twisted off bolts.
Attached Images  

Last edited by INDIANA-XJ; 01-17-2010 at 09:57 PM.