Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forest Service XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Forest Service XJ

First post here but I figured I should show off my rig and maybe get some feedback as to what I should do next:

Anyways, here's my former Forest Service XJ. It's a 2000, 4.0L, 4x4.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55356738@N08/11003871155/http://www.flickr.com/photos/55356738@N08/11003871155/]Untitled[/url, on Flickr

I bought it from my buddy who got it from auction. He got it with 60k miles, put the lift on, bumper, and PIAAs as well as kept it in immaculate shape. He sold it to me with 90k miles. It's now sitting in at 135k and still going strong.

Here's the build list so far:
Rigid Industries:
50" E series mounted above the windshield
10" Amber E series on the bumper
Duallys on the bumper
SR-Ms on the rear bumper for backup lights

Unity Spot light
PIAAs
3.5" RE lift
Bilstein 5100s
Optima Yellow Top

Looking to finish up the build with the following:
Rear offroad bumper (Thinking JCR with tire carrier)
SYE (probably RE)
Limited Slip or locker (don't really need a locker for the wheeling I do but am thinking about it)
Rock lighting

I mainly use this rig for exploring Oregon and Washington. I don't do too much rock crawling or do anything to just break things to break things. If I'm gonna beat up my rig I want to do it getting somewhere, not playing on rocks.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Awesome build! I'm going for the same concept.. more of an on/off road touring. Looks great.

Amazing pics too.

Last edited by Tony_SS; 01-29-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 AM

Thank you Tony!

I forgot to mention I'd be interested to upgrade my axles to some D44s or the like but my rig is equipped with ABS. So that makes it challenging to find compatible axles. I do not want to disable ABS. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen if I ever got in a wreck.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter

Originally Posted by RyThePhotog
Thank you Tony!

I forgot to mention I'd be interested to upgrade my axles to some D44s or the like but my rig is equipped with ABS. So that makes it challenging to find compatible axles. I do not want to disable ABS. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen if I ever got in a wreck.
Nice XJ, I am no expert on this but I purchased a Ford 8.8 out of a 98' Explorer. It has the abs. I don't know how hard it would be to get it working with the XJs' abs. I don't have abs and will not have it working on mine (not a problem). I don't feel getting into a wreck with the abs altered would be any worse that the fact that your XJ is lifted (which alters everything about the vehicle as far as it's safety on the roadways so you are already at higher risk if it is your fault) I know how you feel about keeping your rig as safe as you can. Right now I need to get that booster up-grade done. Braking is so scary with my XJ.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:34 PM

Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

thats has a really tough look to it man...
Old 01-30-2014, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by JandDGreens
Nice XJ, I am no expert on this but I purchased a Ford 8.8 out of a 98' Explorer. It has the abs. I don't know how hard it would be to get it working with the XJs' abs. I don't have abs and will not have it working on mine (not a problem). I don't feel getting into a wreck with the abs altered would be any worse that the fact that your XJ is lifted (which alters everything about the vehicle as far as it's safety on the roadways so you are already at higher risk if it is your fault) I know how you feel about keeping your rig as safe as you can. Right now I need to get that booster up-grade done. Braking is so scary with my XJ.
Yeah, I've heard about the Ford axles but no one seems to know about the ABS. From what I understand TJ ABS equipped front axles should work with the Cherokee but not the rear for obvious reasons. ABS is considered a factory safety measure and some insurance companies will choose not to cover you if you disable it unless it's specifically an offroad only vehicle. Everyone complains of breaking being impossible in their XJ. I haven't seem to have many problems other than the ABS kicking in (when it would have been safer not to) on a trail or in the snow and almost screwing me over.

And clockwise, Thank you! Everyone either asks me if I'm a cop or Forest Service. And I can only think to myself "What agency uses a 14 year old lifted, heavily modified XJ?" Guess if you have a spotlight people automatically assume it.

Last edited by RyThePhotog; 01-30-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Do u have any close up pictures of the 50 inch LEDs on top? (The mounts specifically). It look like something I would want to do with my jeep
Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

I believe you're the first person I've ever come across that wanted to do an axle swap and keep the ABS system.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Lowrange2
I believe you're the first person I've ever come across that wanted to do an axle swap and keep the ABS system.
Always a first for everything
Old 01-30-2014, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Lowrange2
Lol
Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default Brakes

The reason you don't have any issue is because you have the better brake system. Us guys with 94 and earlier XJ's have the single diaphragm booster. I would love to know how to assemble my XJ with the 8.8 and a dana 30 that has abs, make it work properly and have some way of disabling it (with some kind of switch)when wheeling it. I think that would be the ticket.

I like the why your rig looks. Nice and clean, the color is very unique.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by JandDGreens
The reason you don't have any issue is because you have the better brake system. Us guys with 94 and earlier XJ's have the single diaphragm booster. I would love to know how to assemble my XJ with the 8.8 and a dana 30 that has abs, make it work properly and have some way of disabling it (with some kind of switch)when wheeling it. I think that would be the ticket.

I like the why your rig looks. Nice and clean, the color is very unique.
You do realize that the late model dual diaphragm booster bolts right in, correct?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 PM

Did the police package rigs come with upgraded brakes by chance? If so I probably have those. I seem to have everything else the police package had minus the column shifter. I also have the coveted Extended Idle switch.

I really only want to keep the ABS system for legal reasons. I'd ditch it in a heart beat otherwise. It's almost screwed me over multiple times.

And yes, I have pictures of my mounts that I can post later when I get home. I don't have any pics with me.

And thank you everyone for your compliments.

Edit: Actually I take that back, I guess I don't have the special spedo like the police package does. But it'll still up and go faster than any other XJ I know, whether it be stock or lifted.

Last edited by RyThePhotog; 01-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by RyThePhotog
Did the police package rigs come with upgraded brakes by chance? If so I probably have those. I seem to have everything else the police package had minus the column shifter. I also have the coveted Extended Idle switch.

I really only want to keep the ABS system for legal reasons. I'd ditch it in a heart beat otherwise. It's almost screwed me over multiple times.

And yes, I have pictures of my mounts that I can post later when I get home. I don't have any pics with me.

And thank you everyone for your compliments.

Edit: Actually I take that back, I guess I don't have the special spedo like the police package does. But it'll still up and go faster than any other XJ I know, whether it be stock or lifted.
I have an ex USFS law enforcement XJ. Mine has the 125mph speedo, A-pillar spot light, full rubber floors, extended idle button, but my shifter is in the floor. Its also white and not green. I guess there where many flavors of USFS xj's
Old 01-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Btw did you pay $1200+ for that light bar? Those jokers are expensive

Quick Reply: Forest Service XJ