Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Jeep build

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default First Jeep build

Hey all, New here. Got a 99 cherokee sport(is it just appearance?) Completely stock I'm pretty sure.
It's really clean and no rust. The bad part is the motor has only 40psi on cyl 2
I put some oil in there and checked it again and it's only up to 90 but it did go up, so new rings are in order.
But it would be dumb to tear it all apart just to do rings so I will have a friend that works at a local machine shop rebuild the head and block for me.
The odd part is it still runs like a champ even on 5 cyl pretty crazy if you ask me. Granted I can tell its down on power and the miss is pretty prevalent but this thing still pulls harder than any of the zr2's I've had

I don't have a solid plan yet but I'm thinking 31's on the stock wheels and whatever lift necessary
I haven't done a whole lot of reading yet on lifts and such but I don't want to go too crazy and I think 4.5 would be too much for me. So maybe I could get by with a 2.5 or 3 inch? I honestly don't even know my options ha

Here it is in all of it's stock glory

The rear leaf springs look sad. They are flat is this normal? Must be really saggy if not.

I've already removed the door side moulding (I think it looks terrible)
Not to mention mine was white from denting (along with the bumper caps) and already shrinking in the corners and peeling off. This made it real easy to remove though.

Also I hate these mirrors I like the ones on the older xj's Is it possible to put them on? My local jy has a ton of these things so I guess I'll have to visit there often.

Other than some scratches and dings here and there it's really nice body wise and the interior is near perfect. I thought it would make a good start.

Picked it up for 2,700$ (is that good?) spent 60$ on thermostat and waterpump so it wouldn't overheat only to find the dead cylinder.

I already fixed the front speakers and the rear wiper was all messed up
Did an ignition tuneup cap rotor plugs and wires but it was kinda useless with only 5 cylinders hitting but it was too cheap not to do.

Also some problems to sort out with the front axle popping(sounds like a loose wheel hitting the lugnuts) when in 4wd and on tight corners sometimes in 2wd u joints ball joints or a bearing maybe?

All in all It will make a superb winter vehicle for me and maybe even make a few friends to go offroad with

I'll update the pics whenever I do something. ( as in everyday until I run out of money)