Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't know where to start.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Don't know where to start.

Okay, so I've had a few jeeps in the past and I went through what I believed was all known issues they could possibly have with my 97 laredo and my 93 cherokee. But recently I wanted another Jeep so I went out and found a good conditioned 92 4x4 Cherokee for $400 so I couldn't pass it up. Now here's the where it gets confusing. The guy I got it from, told me and I quote "the block is cracked." He even told me where the crack was. So I get it home, start getting into it and being me I just wanted to hear the knock that must have caused the crack. So I turn the key over and bam it starts. Purrs. I give her a couple revs. No issues. I shut it off and start looking under the hood for this "crack". Can't find it. Anywhere. However, the overflow hose was broke and tucked down into the fender and if you had never worked on a jeep it looked legit. The thermostat housing was cracked. And it was low of oil. Half a quart at most. I fixed all of this. Go to start it and nothing. Just turn over. I start looking for the issue. Test this and that. The coil isn't firing. The fuel rail is getting pressure but not nearly enough compared to my other jeeps. So basically, I'm just confused.. I need some help.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

first, congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the forum, from northern canada.

my guess would be the crank position sensor.

short of that, possibly the ballast resistor.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of my research up to this point says the cps is probably the culprit, I was trying to connect why fixing the leaks and putting oil in it would make a sensor go bad