Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DaddyCat's Log

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default DaddyCat's Log

Bought my XJ Nov. 2010 for $2500 with 166k miles, bad brakes and sloppy steering and some electrical issues (including a hyperactive Mopar EVS alarm) . The engine, tranny, drivetrain and body were/are in very good condition (minus the expected dings and scratches). I will use this thread to record repairs and maintenance and to thank those who have helped me.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 PM

1st on the to do list was brakes, new rotors, calipers and pads up front and new wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware and had the drums turned. Ran new hard brake lines to the rear brakes. Bought some 'speedbleeders' to make bleeding/flushing easier. Brakes now work excellent!

Blower Motor Resistor replaced, yeaa heat! Coolant Temperature Sensor and Steering Damper replaced. RoadForce wheel balance = no more shakey shakey.

New washable air filter (Spectre) and new spark plugs and some seafoam in the gas tank for a tune-up.

Oil, filter and lube. Replaced rear dif. fluid (old fluid looked like new) checked front dif., transfer case and tranny fluids.

Bought some replacement fog lights from Amazon that are very nice ($66) with glass lens and beautiful light output. The old wire connectors on the xj were bad so I used crimp-on bullet connectors.

The sloppy steering anoyed me so I tackled that next. All the ball joints seemed tight and proper so I replaced the steering box and the pitman balljoint. I know there is an adjustment screw on the steering box but after research I decided a new box was the way I wanted to go. Wow that steering box gets heavy while trying to get the bolts back in. Especially when "someone" forgets the adaptor/spacer and then wonders why the box won't bolt up right and needs to do it twice.

The Cherokee came with this stupid Mopar EVS alarm that would drain the battery if you open and closed the driver's door (for realzies) and I found an on-line manual that showed me how to set the alarm to "manual set alarm only" this has stopped 99% of my alarm problems.

Rebuilt my rear windshield wiper transmission and replaced the front wiper transmission. Getting the motor and arms out of the cowl is crazy fun! (not)

Then the radiator got jealous and wanted attention so it sprung a leak. Sweet! Bought a new radiator from NAPA spent a day trying to disconnect the trans line. I had to lay the radiator on top of the engine and probe inside the "quick release" with a small flat screw driver to get the barbs to release. Afterwards I rebent the barbs so they'll hold the tube securely again. No leaks after 10 weeks, so I think it'll be ok.

I fixed a bunch of rattles, exhaust, under the dash and the rear seat. Very strange to drive now with no rattles.
I have a few drops under the jeep after driving but fluid levels stay good. The usual suspects will be investigated this spring, valve cover gasket, oil filter adaptor and I do belive the tranny gasket leaks alittle.

I'd like to thank CF, owner(s) mods and members for being such a great resourse for us jeep nuts, I guess I'm one now too!

Last edited by DaddyCat; 01-29-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: OCD
Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Future plans:

Firestone Destination ATs

Replace the too stiff Reflex shocks with Bilstein HD

Rear shackles to raise the rear ~3/4 inch to level back to front (The stock reverse rake looks weird to me) like this:
http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-...001-p3890.aspx

Possibly replace the dented hood and/or repaint the driver's side rear door that's pretty scratched up.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Would you mind sharing how much you paid for your roadforce balacing?
My local tire shop wanted $36 per tire .......sounds right?

Btw, good deal on you XJ....i paid twice that amount

Last edited by BotakBeng; 03-05-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by BotakBeng
Would you mind sharing how much you paid for your roadforce balacing?
My local tire shop wanted $36 per tire .......sounds right?

Btw, good deal on you XJ....i paid twice that amount

I paid $22/tire at my local Firestone tire center. $36/tire is crazy!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

....and another $17.50/tire to mount.

I'll check with other shops then.

Thx.