Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Well, it all started with a 2000 2wd ford ranger. Back when I was 19 I moved to the black hills of South Dakota from the flat lands of Illinois. I remember finding myself bombing down a two track forestry road, and getting the thing sunken to the axel. A long hike out (I was by myself) and one helpful Jeeper later, I was back out bombing down roads. As Time went on I learned about all the cool places I could get to down these roads. So, I picked up a 4x4 ranger. I had that black beast for a couple months before I decided at wanted something more capable. Back when I was younger I had always wanted a Cherokee. I loved the square styling and the tough 4x4 look it had. From there, I hopped on Craigslist and went to work! I looked at 100s of vehicles, from Broncos to samurais. After weeks of reading, I made up my mind: a 97+ Jeep Cherokee. Back to Craigslist I went, try after try I thought I would never find one (I had pretty high standards). Then, one day I found it:

Name:  image-2961147064.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  117.1 KB
A 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 77,828 miles, no rust, and bone stock. The problem? She was 6 hours away in broken bow Nebraska. So, I left on my only day off and made the drive. After several hours of looking over the beast I was feeling concerned.

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1926744664.jpg
(my old 4x4 ranger)

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-2834992131.jpg
As you can see... The cooling system did not look to be in the best of shape. However, it did have the TUPY head already installed. So, after more research over lunch, I decided to take it home. Traded my truck straight up (147,987 miles and a timing chain tick), and began my trip back to South Dakota

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-3757389699.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-2318868241.jpg
After returning back to the dorm I lived at in the State park I went to work, oils (diffs, engine, t-case), re-charged the A/C, and flushed that gross coolant. Along with pulling off the broken bug deflector.

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1052363936.jpg
I eventually invested in some 30" Dynapros, and fixed the chipped grill (the original chrome the po sprayed over was showing up). Then I bombed around in her like that for awhile.

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-832653715.jpg
After more lurking around here I had seen everyone's rockers like to rot... So I did some bed lining to try and prevent that (eventually did behind the bumper caps and flares)

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-3159657542.jpg
Well, like all jeep owners I guess I wanted more.. So, I stupidly invested in a OME 2" lift, full leaves and all. Man, was that stupid. The leaves I received gave me almost 6" of lift in the rear. So, I ended up installing some 2" rancho leaf springs a local Cherokee guy had. Being 21 and living a bohemian life style, all I had was a basket ball court, and a craftsman tool kit. Wow, the install sucked. Every bolt for the rear shocks broke on me, and nothing wanted to come off without some blows from a hammer. I did use rough country's shock bolt dealios when installing the new shocks.

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-703721031.jpg
That's how she stayed until I moved home to Illinois for awhile. That's when the fun began...

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-38596351.jpg
SO, one night I'm driving to a friends, and my heat stops working.. The coolant temp shoots all the way to 260*. I knew what happened.. A lower radiator hose blew and my head gasket failed. Not being much of a mechanic I called around. Shops were quoting almost $1100 to replace the head gasket and hose! Also being the young broke 21 year old I was I decided I would do it myself. $280 later, lots of beer, pizza, and quality time with a best friend of mine, she was back on the road.

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-3082383626.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-898260035.jpg
After all that, I went through and painted my flares in bedliner, and made my first attempt at drum brakes (again WOW that sucked)

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-2098452586.jpg
Then, came some upgrades! I installed Rubicon express lowers, made my own quick disconnects from some RE links I picked up for $20 on CL.

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-2183982907.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-4149546427.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1251044630.jpg
Now, my best investment came from detours USA. I picked up his backbone system, and a smittybuilt 9,500lb winch. Again, beer pizza, and good memories later. She started to look like a Jeep. Then, we geared up and moved back out to South Dakota!

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-2495063099.jpg
First time being on an actual trail in awhile!

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1176274454.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-749324196.jpg
After awhile, I wanted more. So, a 1" add a leaf, a 1" spacer, and (bhum, bhum, bhum) and a set of .75" wheel spacers were purchased. Thanks to my place of employment, I was able to borrow a generator, corded impact, and of course. The basketball court. A very good Jamaican homie of mine helped me out and we got her all done after a couple hours

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1912654488.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-976421986.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-2013415604.jpg
This was an awesome day of randomly finding this trail, and stumbling upon all these of flat fender jeeps ranging from the 40s-60s!

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-71154912.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-385485165.jpg
That's how she currently sits with me saving like a kid with a piggy bank. We've gone on many adventures throughout this past year. It may not be the huge locked, caged, cut to hell fenders xj. However, she is mine, I've worked hard on it. Along with for it to buy what I can. I love getting in this beautiful beast and seeing where she takes me. So, enjoy the pictures of our endeavors!
Attached Thumbnails Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1079549601.jpg   Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-689017709.jpg  

Last edited by CherokeeChamp2000; 04-06-2024 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Nice job so far. As long as it gets you where you want to go thats all that matters. Keep it up.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:55 PM

Here's a small update! Have had over-heating issues out on forest service roads and trails. Most likely due to the winch in front of the radiator. So, had a local guy help cut some holes. Went with Napier hood vents, great quality!

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-3825788376.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-2633985221.jpg

I also went into the local JY and pulled a t-case and front skid off a '86. Plan to get them cleaned up and installed this weekend

Name:  image-227800150.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  130.1 KB

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1495446079.jpg

Picture of the trail Iceman by Piedmont,SD

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1117821425.jpg

Last edited by CherokeeChamp2000; 02-28-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

looks like you are off to a good start, with a good basic build! You will be surprised how capable a 2" lift and 30" tires are. I live in Gillette, hit me up if you ever want to cruise the black hills, there are a couple jeep clubs here.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:42 PM

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1344667848.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1757338312.jpg

Cherokee Champs Adventure Mobile-image-1865396786.jpg

Been to cold outside for me to get a chance and install the skid plates. I did have the chance to take it out on an old stage coach route, along with checking out a gold mine from the early 1900s.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:17 PM

Pretty sizeable update. Spent a decent amount of my summer saving to install some parts while I actually have a garage. The parts being installed is on going, so each day something is getting painted and installed. Haven't gotten much done as I spent a decent amount of time traveling to Poland. Which was amazing.

Here is a general idea of everything I've picked up the past month:
Turbine wheels
XJ Front skid, T-case skid
ZJ gas tank skid
Beefy a$$ tie road and drag link
NP231 SYE
Front XJ drive shaft (for rear)
AJ's affroad armor Rock rails
Ebay rear bumper
Water pump
RE extended brake lines
Napier Pocket flares
Spartan locker for C 8.25
Scan Gauge
CB radio

So, onto what has gotten installed so far:

Recently out in the spartan locker. This was such an easy install the Walmart lube techs could install it. So far so good, however only time can tell. I do lots of trail riding, along with LOTS of road time.

Currently getting all the skids, Rock rails, Bumper, steering. drive shaft, and other miscellaneous things painted. Hopefully you guys will appreciate the build as much as I do. This is something I worked very, very hard to afford. I took as much input from this page as I possibly could before I started ordering parts. I feel this will have the outcome of a well rounded adventure rig, that not only fits my budget, but looks pretty decent and capable. I keep things more to date over on that instant ham (instagram). My "handle" is Roamingchef. Well, that is all for now. Happy trails!

Last edited by CherokeeChamp2000; 02-28-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: I6

awesome start man. always a good idea to do maintenance first. I like the idea of an adventure vehicle so to say. I am starting to go this route myself.

where originally from IL are you from?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by XJBARTZ90
awesome start man. always a good idea to do maintenance first. I like the idea of an adventure vehicle so to say. I am starting to go this route myself.

where originally from IL are you from?
Yes, she received alot of maintenance before I started going to town on parts. I am originally from a small town outside of Champaign, Philo.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0l

Nice build. It's great to see another South Dakota XJ! I lived in the hills for a couple years and bought my Jeep there. Now I'm east river. How do you like the Detours Backbone?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CherokeeChamp2000
Yes, she received alot of maintenance before I started going to town on parts. I am originally from a small town outside of Champaign, Philo.

okay, I know where about that is. I'm from the Rockford area.

Do you by chance do any like expedition/overlanding with the jeep?
And what I mean by that is living out the jeep. longest period?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 4BangerDanger
Nice build. It's great to see another South Dakota XJ! I lived in the hills for a couple years and bought my Jeep there. Now I'm east river. How do you like the Detours Backbone?
I love it out there! Main reason why I am building it up while I'm home. Honestly, I love the detours backbone. When I first started building the jeep I wanted to keep the factory look. It allowed me to do that and have a solid point for a winch. Amazing quality, it also fit pretty perfectly.

Originally Posted by XJBARTZ90
okay, I know where about that is. I'm from the Rockford area.

Do you by chance do any like expedition/overlanding with the jeep?
And what I mean by that is living out the jeep. longest period?
Honestly, I havent quite yet. However, it is in my future plans. Longest I've camped would be two nights. That is something I plan to get into this summer.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CherokeeChamp2000
I love it out there! Main reason why I am building it up while I'm home. Honestly, I love the detours backbone. When I first started building the jeep I wanted to keep the factory look. It allowed me to do that and have a solid point for a winch. Amazing quality, it also fit pretty perfectly.

Honestly, I havent quite yet. However, it is in my future plans. Longest I've camped would be two nights. That is something I plan to get into this summer.

awesome news. I think we're gonna be best friends, haha.
I'm definitely thinking about getting a backbone for my jeep.
I'm subbed for updates.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:54 PM

Well, I have been a busy guy since we last talked! So, here is what I've done.

I finally got around to getting the Fuel tank skid on (red wasn't my first choice but thats all tractor supply had for implement paint)

Then moved onto the SYE and rear drive shaft. Successfully got that up in thur'! Have some clunking and what not, think its my transmission mount. No biggie! I'll get around to fixing it. Also mounted up the factory t-case skid. Doesn't cover a whole lot, but for $20 its better than nothing!

Then, I had a long day. I knocked out Steering, Front skid, and the waterpump I've had sitting around. Just needs an alignment now! I've got the factory skids front to rear all for $60. Beefy steering (no idea what company) for $40.

*Sorry for the potato pictures, phone camera lens had nothing but crap on it from me being greasy*
Old 03-09-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Cool Jeep.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990

Just sent you an Instagram request