Cherokee #3 - Page 2 - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Cherokee #3

Old 02-26-2019, 12:44 AM
  #16  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,725
Default

Originally Posted by jake92 View Post


In reading the guide for LEDs it had the part numbers. So id put in the BA15s into Amazon and see good reviews. Only thing was, I didnít read the specs clearly! The bulbs were intended for a 6v system. They didnít just stop working, they blew apart. Now thereís LED fragments on the floorboards. Oops.
That would do it. I took the easy way out. I ordered the set from OneWayLights. When I did LED's for the exterior, blinker, brake, etc, I pieced that together myself.
Turned out to be a little more challenging getting it right then I thought it would.
Ralph77 is online now  
Old 03-05-2019, 11:10 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jake92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Posts: 771
Default

Well I wanted to begin to do upgrades but despite there being 0 coolant loss, the 0331 head decided it would no longer like to be apart of this Jeep...


jake92 is online now  
Old 03-06-2019, 02:40 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jake92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Posts: 771
Default

So ordered some parts for this Jeep:

- Refurbished TUPY 0331 head
- Fel Pro Head Gasket Set includes VC and Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
- Flowkooler Water Pump - Only not new cooling system component, may as well replace while I am in there.
- ARP Jeep 4.0 Head Bolts
- New Calipers
- Hawk Pads
- Fan Shroud

I am also looking at ordering some Timken wheel bearings, upgraded battery cables, upgraded headlight harness, and upgraded injectors.
jake92 is online now  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 AM
  #19  
Member
 
DJXJ97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: State Center Iowa
Posts: 107
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default

Originally Posted by jake92 View Post
So ordered some parts for this Jeep:

- Refurbished TUPY 0331 head
- Fel Pro Head Gasket Set includes VC and Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
- Flowkooler Water Pump - Only not new cooling system component, may as well replace while I am in there.
- ARP Jeep 4.0 Head Bolts
- New Calipers
- Hawk Pads
- Fan Shroud

I am also looking at ordering some Timken wheel bearings, upgraded battery cables, upgraded headlight harness, and upgraded injectors.
I've wanted to "build" a 4.0 for some time now. Someday down the road I'll get a nice TJ or XJ with a cleaner body and less miles, and make some power with it. The XJ I have now is about to hit 224k miles and it has spent 22 years in the middle of the rust belt. It's still reliable and the engine runs strong, but any more power and the motor would rip right out of that rusty old pig.
DJXJ97 is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:32 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jake92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Posts: 771
Default

Originally Posted by DJXJ97 View Post
I've wanted to "build" a 4.0 for some time now. Someday down the road I'll get a nice TJ or XJ with a cleaner body and less miles, and make some power with it. The XJ I have now is about to hit 224k miles and it has spent 22 years in the middle of the rust belt. It's still reliable and the engine runs strong, but any more power and the motor would rip right out of that rusty old pig.
This one is in great shape and why I purchased it.

So taking pictures with a cracked iPhone may lead to cracks that are not present. Coolant? Full and Green in the radiator and overflow. Oil? A little low with some leaks showing up (possible oil filter adapter) but it's a nice amber color. So I took the valve cover off and sure enough, no crack. Well I have everything setup to change the head when time comes. The great news is that I'll be able to catch it early enough to save the engine.

Continuing right along with the upgrades.
jake92 is online now  
Old 03-08-2019, 10:58 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jake92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Posts: 771
Default

More parts have been purchased:

-Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer (No there is no death wobble but the current stabilizer is leaking)
- Bilsteen 4600 Series Shocks (leaving at stock height)
- New Driver Side Window Switch

Oh and Neal's Mean Lemons Battery cables.
jake92 is online now  
Old 03-08-2019, 11:05 AM
  #22  
Member
 
DJXJ97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: State Center Iowa
Posts: 107
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default

Originally Posted by jake92 View Post
More parts have been purchased:

-Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer (No there is no death wobble but the current stabilizer is leaking)
- Bilsteen 4600 Series Shocks (leaving at stock height)
- New Driver Side Window Switch

Oh and Neal's Mean Lemons Battery cables.
You mentioned that you're looking into bigger injectors. How would you tune the ECU to run said bigger injectors?
DJXJ97 is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jake92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Posts: 771
Default

Originally Posted by DJXJ97 View Post
You mentioned that you're looking into bigger injectors. How would you tune the ECU to run said bigger injectors?
Honestly I am looking at the kit on here with the Bosch 12 hole injectors and 62mm Throttle Body. I see an exact fit Borla kit for around $600 on Amazon and would like to something intake wise.

The last XJ I had crazy plans for and nothing ever came about of it as there were a lot of unique things that would have to be thought out. This time around, I am looking at the tried and true beef and upgrades and spending the money on things that are known.
jake92 is online now  
Old 03-09-2019, 10:16 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jake92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Posts: 771
Default

Some parts arrived today...


jake92 is online now  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 AM
  #25  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 57
Model: Cherokee
Default

Don't bother with an intake or throttle body spacer, neither will give any benefit other than some noise on the 4.0. And check out Ksuspension's battery cable upgrade and injectors, top quality stuff. Just installed his full battery cable kit with terminals and it's perfect.
Jalebate is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 08:10 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jake92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Posts: 771
Default

Got some stainless steel screws to replace the one rusted and one missing license plate housing screws. Also installed a Wolo Bad Boy horn. Sounds like the sad factory horn just louder.

Also replaced the window switch and all the windows now work.


Old hardware

New hardware

Bad Boy Horn. More like bad sounding.

Window switches
jake92 is online now  
Old 03-11-2019, 06:49 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jake92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Posts: 771
Default

Going to be relying on this because of the crap rear shock bolts....

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bro...utting-111475/

I was 2 for 2 doing rear shock bolts... Well this damn XJ decided to break on the first one.
jake92 is online now  
Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 AM
  #28  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 57
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by jake92 View Post
Going to be relying on this because of the crap rear shock bolts....

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bro...utting-111475/

I was 2 for 2 doing rear shock bolts... Well this damn XJ decided to break on the first one.
I am not a fan of Rough Country but their flag nut kit is **** and takes all the frustration out of doing the rear shocks. Definitely worth getting them imo
Jalebate is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jake92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Posts: 771
Default

Originally Posted by Jalebate View Post
I am not a fan of Rough Country but their flag nut kit is **** and takes all the frustration out of doing the rear shocks. Definitely worth getting them imo
I just looked at the MotoFab Lifts version and found that it has the same positive reviews as the Rough Country set so thanks to Amazon's free same day delivery I am getting the flag nut set and the replacement sway bar bushings I needed for the front.
jake92 is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 01:43 PM
  #30  
Newbie
 
PigPen_NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 25
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

such a great feeling to see boxes at the door step when you have a project
PigPen_NJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: